Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lets follow the unbelievable lead from Pompey fans

2»

Comments

• Options
    Vincent said:

18,000 for the home game against Oxford yesterday.
    10,500 season tickets sold and we all know what has happened at their place over the past 4 or so years.
    The loyalty their fans have shown is second to none.
    CAFC is not about the board, the team or Chris Powell.
    It is about our history our future and you the supporters.
    This club will never die.
    And for those who have posted on here saying £40 million is asking to much for Charlton I would say think again because to me it is priceless.

Very good point that!
  • Options
    Yeah lets all call for a club legend manager to be sacked. Inspirational.
  • Options

Yeah lets all call for a club legend manager to be sacked. Inspirational.

Who is calling for a club legend manager to be sacked

• Options
    Vincent - did you get a new computer for your birthday?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Vincent said:

I think it's also unrealistic to compare The Valley attendances in 1985 with 1992 as we'd had four seasons in the top flight during those years in exile and the stadium was not even comparable.

I'm not suggesting that the fans can't help, but I don't find the increases we've had or the gates that Portsmouth are currently getting all that strange.

As for Leeds, I have some Leeds fan friends and they were staying away under Bates and more particularly Warnock as they believed his teams played route one football and were dire to watch. Maybe their increase in fans this weekend had little to do with new owners and a new manager and a more to do with reduced prices and a supporters' trust, but that's just not how I (nor the Leeds fans I know) see it.

KHA I put our support down to very good marketing. Free season ticket if we got back to PL for those buy a season ticket the year we were relegated was a good idea, then the price reductions and all the other kids for quid promotions etc.

Leeds are massive and I agree with your take on their support this season and may be the economy is not as bleak up there as in previous years?
    Thanks Vincent.

I don't want to unnecessarily drag this on but how many of the things you mention were present between 1992-94 that were not present between 1983-85 when we left The Valley? Also, how much of that was down to the fans and how much down to the club?*

I agree that those things all helped grow the fan base in the Premier League and keep many of the fans we 'recruited' while there.

* I'm more than aware that Target 10,000 and, latterly, Target 40,000 involved fans (including some in the employee of the club) but I would say they were club promotions, not fan campaigns.
  • Options

Vincent said:

I think it's also unrealistic to compare The Valley attendances in 1985 with 1992 as we'd had four seasons in the top flight during those years in exile and the stadium was not even comparable.

I'm not suggesting that the fans can't help, but I don't find the increases we've had or the gates that Portsmouth are currently getting all that strange.

As for Leeds, I have some Leeds fan friends and they were staying away under Bates and more particularly Warnock as they believed his teams played route one football and were dire to watch. Maybe their increase in fans this weekend had little to do with new owners and a new manager and a more to do with reduced prices and a supporters' trust, but that's just not how I (nor the Leeds fans I know) see it.

KHA I put our support down to very good marketing. Free season ticket if we got back to PL for those buy a season ticket the year we were relegated was a good idea, then the price reductions and all the other kids for quid promotions etc.

Leeds are massive and I agree with your take on their support this season and may be the economy is not as bleak up there as in previous years?
    Thanks Vincent.

I don't want to unnecessarily drag this on but how many of the things you mention were present between 1992-94 that were not present between 1983-85 when we left The Valley? Also, how much of that was down to the fans and how much down to the club?*

I agree that those things all helped grow the fan base in the Premier League and keep many of the fans we 'recruited' while there.

* I'm more than aware that Target 10,000 and, latterly, Target 40,000 involved fans (including some in the employee of the club) but I would say they were club promotions, not fan campaigns.
    KHA

To answer your question. Richard Murray and Martin Simons discovered when they took over that some of the most committed "fans" were capable of working professionally for the club, and specifically of helping the Board recapture the lost fan base. They hired at various stages Rick Everitt, Steve Dixon, Roy King and Wendy Perfect. These people made a significant contribution because they understood, and helped the Board understand, their target customers.

A club Board that has a direct line to its customers will make better business decisions than those who don't. That is why the Murray boards of 1991-2005 made generally excellent decisions which helped increase the fan base, while the board of 1985 made the decision to move us to Selhurst.
  • Options

Vincent said:

Thanks Vincent.

Vincent said:

Thanks Vincent.

I would again agree with you. I put our continued growth until our relegation from the PL and the drive to maintain our continue level and future growth down to the club. Even with the club listening to supporters views was the right idea at the right time.

The difference in the years leading to our moving to Selhurst I would say was between 83 and 85 there was little interest in Charlton. The Valley was falling apart around our feet and it was pure Charlton that we had a team good enough for promotion and a ground that was not fit for purpose.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    ....and sack our manager ?
  • Options
    Dumped out of 1 cup by Stevenage and another by Newport and sitting 18th in league two, it's no real surprise they got rid of him.

Read that they're interested in Martin Allen, he'd be a good appointment.
  • Options
    Spot on post! Couldn't put it better myself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Pompey just have a big fan base. Take nothing away from the loyalty of the fans who are standing by the club through disastrous times, but they aere Portsmouth not Charlton. The season we moved from the Valley we were averaging about 5000 per game, and when the rumour went round the Stoke match might be our last we achieved 8858. The club was vivisbly dying and that was the paltry attendance. Sincé then we've gone from strength to strength, apart from the last few years, but even given our por fortunes and football, there's no comparison between 1985 and 2013.
    But Portsmouth we ain't!