Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pandas, what is the point?

Not expecting this to be a popular view but can anyone convince me that this lot of fussy eating, frigid, attention seekers are worth the time, money and effort? Isn't this just Darwinian theory in very clear action and they've basically failed miserably to adapt?

Comments

• Options
    they're pretty good at Kung Fu apparently
  • Options
    Absolutely love pandas, my favourite animal.
  • Options

Not expecting this to be a popular view but can anyone convince me that this lot of fussy eating, frigid, attention seekers are worth the time, money and effort? Isn't this just Darwinian theory in very clear action and they've basically failed miserably to adapt?

Adapt to what? Having their habitat destroyed by humans?
    Your obviously one of those idiots that wants to live on an over populated concrete jungle.
    They managed to survive till now.

• Options
    I'm sure they don't seek attention at all - they'd love to be left alone in their forests without man messing up their habitat.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    I have have total sympathy with the male panda. Female panda's have an extremely low sex drive and will fight with the male not to have sex.

Reminds me of my marriage...

For that reason i'm on the male panda's side.
  • Options

Favorite animal. Strange. Like saying favourite animal is a zebra crossing.

Eh?
  • Options

Favorite animal. Strange. Like saying favourite animal is a zebra crossing.

Perhaps Sailor means a zebra while crossing the road. A humped pelican crossing is quite a sight, too.

• Options
    Oh right errr ok
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Adapt to what? Having their habitat destroyed by humans?
    Your obviously one of those idiots that wants to live on an over populated concrete jungle.
    They managed to survive till now.

Nah, I'm a completely different type of idiot...

I'd rather we spent time and money on preserving something that we have half a chance of saving is all I'm saying and if pandas looked like this...image

...then no one would care less. Pandas just have good PR...

• Options
    So you don't think we should try and save something we helped to destroy?
  • Options

Haven't we tried that already and pretty much failed though? Let's be honest, lovely though they may be and yes, due to us destroying the one fecking food that they chose to eat, their days are numbered. Maybe we should invest in something with a higher chance of success.

Btw just to clarify, I haven't personally cleared a bamboo forest or ever eaten a Panda burger.
  • Options

Haven't we tried that already and pretty much failed though? Let's be honest, lovely though they may be and yes, due to us destroying the one fecking food that they chose to eat, their days are numbered. Maybe we should invest in something with a higher chance of success.

Btw just to clarify, I haven't personally cleared a bamboo forest or ever eaten a Panda burger.
    But technology, research and understanding is getting better (due to the investment) which will increase their chances of survival.

In terms of where the investment should go, isn't it all charitable donations made specifically to help this particular cause?
  • Options
    edited August 2013

So how do you currently helped or contributed to their survival.
    Have you contributed to the wwlf or similar organisation?

• Options
    Big rob could catch them and make a panda stew that's got to be worth keeping them for
  • Options
    BA - They have adapted to being very cute and therefore the current most powerful species are prepared to spend millions preserving them.
  • Options

But technology, research and understanding is getting better (due to the investment) which will increase their chances of survival.

In terms of where the investment should go, isn't it all charitable donations made specifically to help this particular cause?
    Maybe, maybe not but isn't it still money that could be more effectively used elsewhere? Don't the WWF use pandas to tug on the old heart strings and open wallets yet I suspect that the vast majority raised is spent elsewhere. In fact, when you think about it, they are pretty much partners in wholesale fraud...yet they swan about, swinging on their tyres, looking all soft and like butter wouldn't melt, giving the occasional sneeze for the cameras when, soon as lights are out down at the zoo, they are proper laughing at us. Basically the animal equivalent of a benefit cheat...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    What they've not adapted to is man: http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/712/0

The IUCN*'s Red List now contains some 20,000 threatened species. "Species’ extinctions are continuing at up to 1,000 times or more the natural rate". By far the biggest threat to these animals is habitat degradation and loss and the vast bulk of this is due to man. That doesn't make pandas, or any other endangered species, miserable failures. That makes humans miserable failures; we like to think we own the planet, but we are absolutely useless at safeguarding it.

*International Union for Conservation of Nature
  • Options
    I think Bournemouth addick should take on a Panda in a cage fight.
    All monies to the winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bournemouth Addick, what is the point?

• Options

I think Bournemouth addick should take on a Panda in a cage fight.
    All monies to the winner.

Lol, well if they fight like they shag I'd fancy my chances and I'm crap at violence! Lazy feckers have it laid on a plate for 'em don't they - bit of mood lighting, Barry White on the stereo, nice bit of bamboo washed down with a Panda Pop, maybe a bit of Jonnie Vaughan on the tele to get 'em frisky, who knows maybe the nice young keeper comes in to give them a hand and....nothing...nada...nowt. Ungrateful little sods can't even raise a smile let alone anything useful to the survival of their species but they keep expecting us to shell out for new rope for the tyres and the rest.
  • Options
    Panda sanctuary in Chengdu, best place ever.

They are awesome animals.

Fancy your chances against a panda? Ha! You've clearly never seen one destroy a steak, trust me, a panda would ruin your day.
  • Options
    Things to consider:

Unlike many other threatened species, it is the only member of its genus still surviving, and therefore evolutionarily distinct.

Disney Appeal - As said by BA, in a very cash-poor sector, they alone bring in important funding through looks alone.

Tourism - 'Economic heart of China'.....Imagine if the Panda was UK only....and how much it would be milked...
    Meanwhile projected revenue for Edinburgh zoo has been given a £2,000,000 a year boost since the pairs arrival...which is just as well considering the £600,000 annual loan fee from China...

Umbrella species - Protection of the Panda is a big boost for the rest of the bamboo community - mostly insects which are mostly disregarded.

WWF - The uproar it would create, if the international symbol of conservation was left to die...

These are the main arguments I've heard from pro-panda conservationists. Having heard all this I still would hope/wish the money would be spent elsewhere. There is just so much more that could be done, and this is true for a number of others (Kiwi's ect.). On the Edinburgh Zoo, there's a brilliant quote from world-leading panda expert Prof. Lu Zhi who described the pair as "as pointless as taking off your pants in order to fart"

• Options
    Couldn't be arsed to read all this bollox - how can you not like a panda. I would have harassed them alll day long at hong kong zoo given the chance. Not in the ŵild I know. The red pandas are probably the cutest animals ive ever see!
  • Options
    Boom said:

Couldn't be arsed to read all this bollox - how can you not like a panda. I would have harassed them alll day long at hong kong zoo given the chance. Not in the ŵild I know. The red pandas are probably the cutest animals ive ever see!

Red Pandas are a completely different species. They are cute though. As for Giant Panda's. We should strive to save every life form on the planet.

• Options

Basically the animal equivalent of a benefit cheat...
    Good point, well made.
  • Options
    What else are the OB going to sit in?
  • Options

Maybe, maybe not but isn't it still money that could be more effectively used elsewhere? Don't the WWF use pandas to tug on the old heart strings and open wallets yet I suspect that the vast majority raised is spent elsewhere. In fact, when you think about it, they are pretty much partners in wholesale fraud...yet they swan about, swinging on their tyres, looking all soft and like butter wouldn't melt, giving the occasional sneeze for the cameras when, soon as lights are out down at the zoo, they are proper laughing at us. Basically the animal equivalent of a benefit cheat...
    Haven't you just completely contradicted your own point there ? So most of the money the pandas raise by leveraging their cuteness is spent elsewhere ?
  • Options
    This isn't far off one of the most pointless threads ever. No wonder we get dubbed as trainspotters.