Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our Midfield

Comments

• Options

shirty5 said:

3 vs 2 in centre midfield makes it tough for Gower and Jackson. I could see that after 5 mins.

After 30 mins, CP moved Green inside onto Whitehead. Green kept holding his arms out as if he didn't know what he was supposed to be doing and switched back to the right after 5 mins.

At HT, Kermit was obviously asked to drop deep to fill the space Whitehead was operating in. He did it well for about 10 mins and then kept wandering off. Whitehead finished the game sitting in an armchair.

When we were playing 2 v 3 in Cent Mid, who was organising the marking on the pitch? Why was Jacko not asking Kermit to drop off and cover Whitehead? Surely it's better to allow Woodgate and Williams to have the ball than allow Whitehead time and space to play?

Perhaps our players are not up to carrying out instructions?

We need to wise up.
  • Options
    With his shaggy hair Dale Stephens had a bit of the Dick Tydemans about him today. So there's hope for the midfield yet!
  • Options

With his shaggy hair Dale Stephens had a bit of the Dick Tydemans about him today. So there's hope for the midfield yet!

Dick Tydeman..now there is a blast from the past. Bought from Gillingham if I remember. very tall, nice hair and avoided heading the ball at all costs

• Options
    When Gower gave the ball away in the first half he chased back to try and redeem himself and was absolutely knackered for the next five minutes
  • Options
    In Pritch's absence I think Cook deserves a shout at RM, based on a lively performance v Oxford. WIlson offers nothing special and is very one-dimensional.
  • Options
    What midfield ???

Based on what I witnessed today Chris Powell needs to plan a new strategy to carry us through this new season after all he has only had all summer to plan.

• Options

In Pritch's absence I think Cook deserves a shout at RM, based on a lively performance v Oxford. WIlson offers nothing special and is very one-dimensional.

Was injured in the Oxford game...

• Options
    I though Boro's midfield was actually marginally worse today! We missed a fit JJ and pritchards energy though!
  • Options
    We were shit last week with pritch.
  • Options
    Claude Rains was out there today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me Powell likes his wingers to be more defensive-minded wide midfielders. The system of 4-4-2 is rigid and the midfield need to win the battle to stand any chance of us getting a result.

Personally I like us to try a 4-2-3-1 Pushing our wingers higher up and by having 2 holding midfielders one a deeper playmaker the other just Holding both protecting shielding the back 4 allows the full-backs to attack more as the nearest centre-mid covers the space.

I think having a pacy forward who runs into the channels in and out of their back four to test them Church our best bet as his movement off the ball is pretty good and having Kermorgant in the hole as he does like to drop deep and collect we all know what's he's capable of with his head but also his link up play is impressive with Church dragging players out of position Kermorgant can exploit the space left from a deeper role.

The centre-mid partnership?

Hamer
    Solly Dervite Morrison Wiggins

?? ??

Green Kermorgant Harriott
    Church/Sordell
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    We lacked energy today.

Harriott offers flair and some energy Jackson offers inspiration and goals. These are automatic picks for me when fit.

In my view we need energy from the other two / three midfielders we play which means, given current personnel, Pritchard definitely gets a game and then one or two of Wilson, Cousins and Jordan dependent on whether we play a four or a five. Gower showed yesterday that he can only play for a half.

I've not seen Cousins or Jordan but hopefully they have a little bit of pace and energy which were sorely lacking yesterday.

Green should be on the bench as he has occasionally shown the ability to be an impact player.

Not ideal but given silk purses and sow's ears a solution perhaps.
  • Options
    Are you talking about Jordan cousins as two different people?
  • Options
    I sat right on the half way line yesterday and the big difference (IMO) was that boro kept there shape in midfield and we didn't. At any given moment of the game they had someone spare in the middle of the park to accept a pass. We on the other hand had no discipline at all to our shape.
  • Options
    Try Cousins at Barnsley. I saw him pre season and if nothing else he has a great engine. He will cover ground and put tackles in. Gower/JJ/Hughes too slow and lead to the oppositions midfield always running straight at our defence.
  • Options

Jordan Cousins & Bradley Jordan.
  • Options

I'm referring to Jordan Cousins and Bradley Jordan so yes to two different people but no to Jordan Cousins as two different people!
  • Options
    This is essentially the same midfield as last year, that went on a great end of season run.
    The players are good enough, just takes confidence and momentum.
    The defence and attack should be targeted for the same blame IMHO.
    CP will sort it out.
    Were gonna win the league..................................................
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I'm referring to Jordan Cousins and Bradley Jordan so yes to two different people but no to Jordan Cousins as two different people!
    Oh.
  • Options
    Saturday was not about the personnel, but matching up like for like in Centre midfield when its 3 vs 2 and losing a grip of the game from kick off
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This is essentially the same midfield as last year, that went on a great end of season run.
    The players are good enough, just takes confidence and momentum.
    The defence and attack should be targeted for the same blame IMHO.
    CP will sort it out.
    Were gonna win the league..................................................

But it's not essentially the same midfield is it. In the two games this season, one was missing Jackson and the second game both Jackson and Pritchard.

• Options
    Correct SHG although looking at the game on Saturday I didn't think Gower looked as tidy as Hughes in that holding role but lets face it both a long past their best we needed to invest in a couple of decent midfielders and it is patently clear that the funds are not available. Midfield is where the game is won or lost so this needs to be sorted ASAP.
  • Options
    Jordan - Poyet - Cousins - Harriot
  • Options
    We should be difficult to beat. When we lose the midfield area, the defence is not shielded and becomes under pressure. It is not a surprise that the defence has looked vulnerable and Morrisson, Solly and WIggins has looked poorer when the midfield is overrun.

Pleased to see Jordan Cousins play and make a difference. It is either Stephens or Gower, never the pair of them in the same team. Gower does not look like a holding midfielder, he never consistantly holds the position and drifts upfield.

Should be 4411 or 451 / 4231 until we get better quality players. Unless Cousins can be that player to hold 442 - thats a lot for a young player's shoulders. Right half is still a weakness.

I hope that CP can get the combination right.
  • Options
    i think people are forgetting that in league one, we had at the start, a team that played great football with great chemistry, i think we have to sell stephens and get 1m, use that to buy a good midfielder, i think hollands deserves a chance, impressed by cousins
  • Options
    ive realised that stephens is now too poor, last season i called for his head to everyone i spoke too, it was mixed then (i joined cl in july so it was just people at grounds and stuff), now everyone wants him out bar one or two, i think he just hasn't done anything for a long time and his contribution to the game is crap. hollands had a ropey start to the champ and has been the forgotten man. gower i believed in last season but now everyone agrees hes crap. hughes had like 5 good games and somehow he got a contract. pritchard does well in centre but doesn't play there anymore. jackson is quality but has a few bad games. i think we will become incresingly dependent on cousins and harriots to save us. bit worrying
  • Options
    Everybody seems to think Harriot is the instant slot in fo. I'm not convinced as yet, he has talent and a great prospect but I've noticed since his introduction we have lost Wiggins overlaps down the wing to the point that he doesn't even seem to bother anymore. Either Callum does not pick it out or is just plain greedy, I feel this is a big loss to our attacking play, Wiggo can cross not sure this is a strength of Harriots.
  • Options
    The two key players that made the midfiled tick last season were JJ and Pritchard - Powell has had to patch up that key position.
  • Options
    jackmasterflash Member
    9:12PM
    i think people are forgetting that in league one, we had at the start, a team that played great football with great chemistry, i think we have to sell stephens and get 1m, use that to buy a good midfielder, i think hollands deserves a chance, impressed by cousins

JMF - are you Ackworth's twin brother????

There are grammar issues and the insane belief that DS is worth a million - in your dreams m8!!
  • Options
    ok what i mean in the first comment is that i think the team seemed really together, whereas now our understanding is slightly worse, we need to work on that