Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Our Midfield

13»

Comments

• Options
    Hollands needs to come back in and be on the bench at least. Don't underestimate the absence of Hughes and Jackson. Remember how much we missed them last season as well as the influence they had on our unbeaten run.
  • Options
    Might be wrong here (and happy to be corrected if so) but didn't Gower play wide left/left of a three man midfield for Swansea, not as a defence holding midfielder? Very good player for Swansea in that more attack minded role. I know he is knocking on a bit now so obviously not that same player from a few years back but why I we now trying to utilise him as a holding midfielder? I believe it was during that time that he was statistically the best passer of the ball in the whole of Europe.

I think Jordan Cousins is ready for his chance in the first team now and given our circumstances I think CP needs to show some faith in him and give him a decent run to see if he can step up. With Cousins maybe sitting and performing the role that Hughes did so effectively last season that would allow Gower to play a bit further up the field and try to influence the game.
  • Options
    Yes, you're right, Gower is not a defensive midfielder. Never has been, never will be. He's a very intelligent footballer and great passer of the ball.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    According to CEJ Gower played on the right for Swansea & didn't do well, then was switched to centre mid, where he did do well. He's usually correct.
  • Options
    Gower played well on Saturday .. perhaps the absence of Jackson allowed him more scope .. Wilson was energetic and OK as was Harriott who looks like a very good prospect, if he hasn't arrived already ... THE real bonus was Cousins, who complemented Gower superbly. the new Keith Jones, hard working, can see and make a pass, is not over ambitious, knows how to play .. Stephens? .. a big disappointment and could well be let go even if it is only for a few quid ... Pritchard and Jackson may find it hard to get back into this unit .. if there was a 'weak link' on Saturday (other than Stephens) it was Wilson and as I said above, he worked hard and did OK.
    One other point. Things were going badly in the first half. Powell was not afraid to make changes which turned the game. At the end when Harriott was out of Puff, Powell brought on Evina .. he and Wiggins combined well
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Gower played well on Saturday .. perhaps the absence of Jackson allowed him more scope .. Wilson was energetic and OK as was Harriott who looks like a very good prospect, if he hasn't arrived already ... THE real bonus was Cousins, who complemented Gower superbly. the new Keith Jones, hard working, can see and make a pass, is not over ambitious, knows how to play .. Stephens? .. a big disappointment and could well be let go even if it is only for a few quid ... Pritchard and Jackson may find it hard to get back into this unit .. if there was a 'weak link' on Saturday (other than Stephens) it was Wilson and as I said above, he worked hard and did OK.
    One other point. Things were going badly in the first half. Powell was not afraid to make changes which turned the game. At the end when Harriott was out of Puff, Powell brought on Evina .. he and Wiggins combined well

I'd be extremely surprised if Jackson, our captain and very useful goalscorer didn't get back in the side.

I'd also be surprised if Pritchard doesn't come back in on the right. He's definitely had more decent games than Green & Wilson combined.

That leaves Harriot probably, on the left (although he's not been great this season) and one other centre mid spot.

Personally, I feel Powell will keep Gower in and have Cousins on the bench.

Wilson, Green, Stephens & Hollands are 2nd choices & I think it's quite likely Stephens & Hollands will be transferred or go out on loan before too long. Possibly even Green.

NB I'm a Chris Powell fan & yes his changes altered the game. However he said post match that Cort came on for Dervite, because he didn't want Dervite getting sent off, as he was sailing close. He also brought Cousins on for Stephens, because Stephens had a groin injury. (He should have kept quiet & taken all the credit).
  • Options

I'd be extremely surprised if Jackson, our captain and very useful goalscorer didn't get back in the side.

I'd also be surprised if Pritchard doesn't come back in on the right. He's definitely had more decent games than Green & Wilson combined.

That leaves Harriot probably, on the left (although he's not been great this season) and one other centre mid spot.

Personally, I feel Powell will keep Gower in and have Cousins on the bench.

Wilson, Green, Stephens & Hollands are 2nd choices & I think it's quite likely Stephens & Hollands will be transferred or go out on loan before too long. Possibly even Green.

NB I'm a Chris Powell fan & yes his changes altered the game. However he said post match that Cort came on for Dervite, because he didn't want Dervite getting sent off, as he was sailing close. He also brought Cousins on for Stephens, because Stephens had a groin injury. (He should have kept quiet & taken all the credit).
    Chris is a canny operator.

The changes were successful yet, by emphasising that they occurred by accident rather than design, he doesn't alienate the substituted players (or others) if they are dropped as a result of those changes.
  • Options
    Depending on when Stephens picked up this injury, it may be significant as to his seemingly poor performance? I admit he can be less than dynamic but a strain down below would certainly not help!

I must also add that I would be dubious about throwing Cousins straight on as an automatic starter on the basis of one half, though I do expect him to be phased in to the 11 by the season's end.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Depending on when Stephens picked up this injury, it may be significant as to his seemingly poor performance? I admit he can be less than dynamic but a strain down below would certainly not help!

Unless he picked it up this time last year I don't think he can use it as an excuse.

• Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if Stephens wasn't injured at all and Powell has seen and had enough of him. Saying he is injured saves face a little. I think Stephens will not play for us again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if Stephens wasn't injured at all and Powell has seen and had enough of him. Saying he is injured saves face a little. I think Stephens will not play for us again.

I was thinking the same. I wouldn't play him again. I'd get him out on loan, back up in Lancashire, if no one comes in for him in the next couple of weeks.

I've heard Villa are fighting it out with another Prem club & the bidding war is up to £2M.
    Ok, I made that bit up.