Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A new Coach.

I sat in the nice new Coach going home, and reflected on how we somehow managed not only to lose again at home (shades of last season), but also were completely outplayed. I have read all the post match reviews, and all the blame has been heaped on the players, most of whom had a very poor game.

For me the problem in fact lies in the area of coaching. Boro played the ball on the ground, finding space, finding each other with the pass, making the runs etc in the way that football should be played in 2013. They looked as if they had more players on the pitch than us, and it was frankly embarassing. In the second half it seemed inevitable that they would score, and the goal came as no surprise. By contrast, we seem to have only one attacking option, get the ball to Morrison who will then lump it high, wide and certainly not handsome, towards the strikers. Sordell probably likes the ball to feet, and was rendered completely ineffective. Kermogant, always a favourite for me is getting more like John Wayne every game. Into battle as if it is war, getting laid out and lying injured, then bravely getting up and going back for more. Church when he came on looked frisky and keen, but nothing more. Dervite is a certainty for Strictly Come Dancing this year, having clearly shown how well he can grab hold of someone, and drag them around the floor.

In my opinion we have a coaching group who don't understand how football should be played. CP stood and watched that dreadful display for 90 minutes, and his first comment was ' we need to be more streetwise '. My congratulations to the North Upper who gave the team enormous support from the off, but by the second half had been almost silenced by what they were seeing. It was the first time in 60 years that I have been shamed by a Charlton team, and its management. The loyal supporters deserve better.

Comments

• Options
    Granpa said:

In my opinion we have a coaching group who don't understand how football should be played.

That is incredibly harsh considering what they have achieved over the past couple of years.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I agree with you it was poor Granpa but although I've only been going 50 years I've seen a lot worse down there. Most of 71/72, 79/80 and 08/09 for instance.

The fact it was the first home game of the season, a lovely sunny day and we were all excited only to get let down like that has an impact though I guess.
  • Options
    I suppose on the flip side you could argue that the same coaching staff, playing the same type of football, won us league 1 with a record amount of points, before leading us to a respectable 9th position in the championship a season later...
  • Options
    aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :-(

• Options
    edited August 2013
    They've also managed to develop the likes of Stephens, Morrison, Taylor, Pritchard, Hamer, Wiggins, Hollands into very good Championship players from the lower leagues and also helped to bring back the form of the likes of Kermorgant whose career looked like it was going in a downward spiral. Not to mention the exceptional development of Harriott and Solly.

Our coaching team has been the very very best we could ask for.
  • Options
    Have the coaching team got our players playing good football though? I don't think so.

The Season we went up we didn't play great football. Large parts of last season was just awful, and this season has started terribly
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Did you care about how "good" the football was when we were racking up 101 points? Or finishing 9th last season?

We could try playing like Barcelona but if it gets us nowhere, what's the point?
  • Options
    In my opinion we have a coaching group who don't understand how football should be played. CP stood and watched that dreadful display for 90 minutes,

Not this shit again...
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Our coaching team has been the very very best we could ask for.

Loyal Supporters deserve better though!
  • Options
    There were some dire displays under Parky that were far worse.

I think we need to put it behind us. Every team has a bad day.

Having said that there will be some big rumblings if we end up pointless on Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Have the coaching team got our players playing good football though? I don't think so.

The Season we went up we didn't play great football. Large parts of last season was just awful, and this season has started terribly

I give up.
  • Options
    Bradley Pritchard was a big miss. Some people are always criticising him but he provides the energy in midfield.

Some more younger legs would nt go amiss.
  • Options
    Oh Come on. Yes it was a major achievement to win league 1.
    I'm just saying the football we played at times wasn't great? Same with last season. Can't see what's wrong with what I said.
  • Options

The Valley
    Floyd Rd
    London SE7 8BL, United Kingdom
    1. Head southwest on Floyd Rd toward Linton Close
    0.2 mi
    2. Turn right onto Charlton Church Ln
    0.1 mi
    3. Turn left onto Woolwich Rd/A206
    0.6 mi
    4. Turn left to merge onto A102 toward A20/A2/Bexleyheath/Lewisham
    1.1 mi
    5. Continue onto A2
    0.6 mi
    6. Slight right onto A2213
    0.8 mi
    7. Continue onto Sidcup Rd/A20
    Continue to follow A20
    Go through 1 roundabout
    8.9 mi
    8. Continue onto M20 (signs for Dover/Channel Tunnel/Maidstone)
    47.6 mi
    9. At junction 11A, exit toward Channel Tunnel
    0.4 mi
    10. Continue straight
    1.2 mi
    11. Turn left
    0.5 mi
    12. Slight right
    0.3 mi
    13. Take the Channel Tunnel train to Fréthun
    Entering France
    33.4 mi
    14. Continue straight
    436 ft
    15. Turn right toward Av. de France
    0.9 mi
    16. Continue straight onto Av. de France
    0.6 mi
    17. Keep right at the fork and merge onto A16
    3.8 mi
    18. Take the exit onto A26/E15 toward Saint-Omer/Arras/Reims/Paris
    Toll road
    65.0 mi
    19. Take the exit onto A1/E15 toward Arras-Est/Paris
    Partial toll road
    Speed camera in 26.8 mi
    96.7 mi
    20. Keep right to continue on A3/E15, follow signs for A104/Bordeaux/Nantes-Lyon/Marne-la-Vallée/Sarcelles/Paris-Est/Bobigny/Garonor
    Speed camera in 9.3 mi
    10.7 mi
    21. Take the exit on the left toward Vers/A4/A6/A10/Aéroport Orly/Porte de Montreuil/Périphérique Sud
    0.3 mi
    22. Continue on the ramp and merge onto Bd Périphérique
    Speed camera in 4.0 mi
    4.8 mi
    23. Take the exit onto A6B toward A10/Bordeaux/Nantes/Lyon/Évry/Aéroport Orly-Rungis
    5.9 mi
    24. Keep right to continue on E50, follow signs for A10/E5/Palaiseau/Étampes/Bordeaux-Nantes/Massy/Longjumeau
    0.5 mi
    25. Merge onto A10/E50
    Partial toll road
    Speed cameras begin in 1.6 mi
    24.3 mi
    26. Keep left to continue on A10/E5, follow signs for A71/Toulouse/Clermont-Ferrand/Bordeaux/Orléans/A20
    Toll road
    Speed cameras begin in 38.4 mi
    44.5 mi
    27. Keep right to continue on A71/E9, follow signs for A20/Toulouse/Clermont-Ferrand/Vierzon/Orléans-Centre
    Continue to follow A71
    Partial toll road
    Speed cameras begin in 65.9 mi
    178 mi
    28. Keep left to stay on A71
    Partial toll road
    2.8 mi
    29. Continue onto A75
    Partial toll road
    Speed cameras begin in 53.7 mi
    208 mi
    30. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for A9/E15/E80/Barcelone/Toulouse/Narbonne/Béziers-Ouest and merge onto A9/E15/E80
    Continue to follow A9/E15
    Toll road
    Entering Spain
    75.4 mi
    31. Continue onto AP-7
    Partial toll road
    84.4 mi
    32. Continue onto C-33
    Toll road
    7.7 mi
    33. Take the exit toward Barcelona Rondes/AP-2/AP-7/C-32/C-31/N-II/Port Zal/Aeroport
    0.3 mi
    34. Merge onto C-58
    0.7 mi
    35. Take the exit onto Ronda de Dalt/B-20 toward A-2/AP-7/C-32/Aeropuerto/Vall d'Hebrón/Sarrià/Fira
    7.6 mi
    36. Take the exit toward Les Corts
    0.2 mi
    37. Take exit 11 toward Les Corts
    0.6 mi
    38. Continue straight onto Av. Diagonal
    0.3 mi
    39. Turn right onto Av. Dr. Marañón
    0.5 mi
    40. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Carrer d'Aristides Maillol
    0.2 mi
    41. Turn left onto Carrer Gallego
    43 ft
    Futbol Club Barcelona
    Carrer d'Aristides Maillol, s/n
    08028 Barcelona, Spain
  • Options
    Last season us finishing 9th was very good, and i feel some fans will expect it this season i hope im wrong i really do but i think with some of the teams in the championship at the moment compared to ours we will be lucky to get top half, and before anyone starts giving it the biggun about how bad a fan i am and im negative its just my opinion, hopefully its jus a blip and we will be late to get going as ive said before we need to worry if come november were bottom. not 2 games into a 46 game season
  • Options
    I don't know why people harp on about getting 101 points in the old Division 3 , it was an absolute disgrace that we were ever there in the first place.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I don't know why people harp on about getting 101 points in the old Division 3 , it was an absolute disgrace that we were ever there in the first place.

hahahaha this is decent for you.
  • Options

agreed was good at the time, but as you say it was the 3RD tier of english football
  • Options

Just remember... Its poor attitudes like that towards the Leagues that get you relegated

A footballer isnt bigger than their club... A team isnt "too" good to be in their respective league!!
  • Options
    Saturday wasn't good , but 6-1 at home to Leeds was a lot worse, does that mean Curbs was no good for us?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "The loyal supporters deserve better" so the loyal supporters who, under this coaching staff, have seen us crowned Champions of league 1 with a record points haul and have seen us finish a very respectable 9th last season.

Threads like this amaze me!
  • Options

Just remember... Its poor attitudes like that towards the Leagues that get you relegated

A footballer isnt bigger than their club... A team isnt "too" good to be in their respective league!!

I know, but surely it is also about standards and self pride. It reminded me of when Glasgow Rangers won the Scottish Third Division last year. The Club held no celebrations because they felt embarrassed to be there. It was similar for us, we went from 27,000 at home to Man Utd with di Canio up front to half that at home to Hartlepool with Pawel Abbott up front in the time it takes to say "Andrew Mills".
  • Options
    It was poor Saturday, we lack quality in central midfield but with little money that is to be expected. We missed Pritch (top assist make for us last season) and even Hariott had a quiet game which reduces the amount of chances we'll create.

What I would like to see is our midfielders following the ball into the box and being there for our strikers to lay it off to. Opposition do it to us but we rarely have anyone other the JJ trying to get on the end of anything, more people you have in the box more chances a rebound or something will fall to one of them.
  • Options
    Im thinking (and hoping) its a blip too.

However, if we continue to turn in displays like Saturday, and at Bournemouth - we will be relegated by Christmas.

I think Granpa does have a point though. If it doesn't go right early doors the long balls out of defence do seem to be Plan A, B and C. It isn't helped by the non ball playing and pace deficient midfield we have.

The one thing that does annoy me about Sir Chris is his reluctance to change things when it is so obviously not working. Substitutions happen when the horse has bolted.

We need a pacy right winger plus a driving central midfielder. But where does a potless team pick these inidividual's up from?

Got to consider the yoof option more otherwise, why have the likes of Paul Hart in to develop the structure in the first place.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

I know, but surely it is also about standards and self pride. It reminded me of when Glasgow Rangers won the Scottish Third Division last year. The Club held no celebrations because they felt embarrassed to be there. It was similar for us, we went from 27,000 at home to Man Utd with di Canio up front to half that at home to Hartlepool with Pawel Abbott up front in the time it takes to say "Andrew Mills".

Look how embarrased everybody is!!!!
  • Options

The Valley
    Floyd Rd
    London SE7 8BL, United Kingdom
    1. Head southwest on Floyd Rd toward Linton Close
    0.2 mi
    2. Turn right onto Charlton Church Ln
    0.1 mi
    3. Turn left onto Woolwich Rd/A206
    0.6 mi
    4. Turn left to merge onto A102 toward A20/A2/Bexleyheath/Lewisham
    1.1 mi
    5. Continue onto A2
    0.6 mi
    6. Slight right onto A2213
    0.8 mi
    7. Continue onto Sidcup Rd/A20
    Continue to follow A20
    Go through 1 roundabout
    8.9 mi
    8. Continue onto M20 (signs for Dover/Channel Tunnel/Maidstone)
    47.6 mi
    9. At junction 11A, exit toward Channel Tunnel
    0.4 mi
    10. Continue straight
    1.2 mi
    11. Turn left
    0.5 mi
    12. Slight right
    0.3 mi
    13. Take the Channel Tunnel train to Fréthun
    Entering France
    33.4 mi
    14. Continue straight
    436 ft
    15. Turn right toward Av. de France
    0.9 mi
    16. Continue straight onto Av. de France
    0.6 mi
    17. Keep right at the fork and merge onto A16
    3.8 mi
    18. Take the exit onto A26/E15 toward Saint-Omer/Arras/Reims/Paris
    Toll road
    65.0 mi
    19. Take the exit onto A1/E15 toward Arras-Est/Paris
    Partial toll road
    Speed camera in 26.8 mi
    96.7 mi
    20. Keep right to continue on A3/E15, follow signs for A104/Bordeaux/Nantes-Lyon/Marne-la-Vallée/Sarcelles/Paris-Est/Bobigny/Garonor
    Speed camera in 9.3 mi
    10.7 mi
    21. Take the exit on the left toward Vers/A4/A6/A10/Aéroport Orly/Porte de Montreuil/Périphérique Sud
    0.3 mi
    22. Continue on the ramp and merge onto Bd Périphérique
    Speed camera in 4.0 mi
    4.8 mi
    23. Take the exit onto A6B toward A10/Bordeaux/Nantes/Lyon/Évry/Aéroport Orly-Rungis
    5.9 mi
    24. Keep right to continue on E50, follow signs for A10/E5/Palaiseau/Étampes/Bordeaux-Nantes/Massy/Longjumeau
    0.5 mi
    25. Merge onto A10/E50
    Partial toll road
    Speed cameras begin in 1.6 mi
    24.3 mi
    26. Keep left to continue on A10/E5, follow signs for A71/Toulouse/Clermont-Ferrand/Bordeaux/Orléans/A20
    Toll road
    Speed cameras begin in 38.4 mi
    44.5 mi
    27. Keep right to continue on A71/E9, follow signs for A20/Toulouse/Clermont-Ferrand/Vierzon/Orléans-Centre
    Continue to follow A71
    Partial toll road
    Speed cameras begin in 65.9 mi
    178 mi
    28. Keep left to stay on A71
    Partial toll road
    2.8 mi
    29. Continue onto A75
    Partial toll road
    Speed cameras begin in 53.7 mi
    208 mi
    30. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for A9/E15/E80/Barcelone/Toulouse/Narbonne/Béziers-Ouest and merge onto A9/E15/E80
    Continue to follow A9/E15
    Toll road
    Entering Spain
    75.4 mi
    31. Continue onto AP-7
    Partial toll road
    84.4 mi
    32. Continue onto C-33
    Toll road
    7.7 mi
    33. Take the exit toward Barcelona Rondes/AP-2/AP-7/C-32/C-31/N-II/Port Zal/Aeroport
    0.3 mi
    34. Merge onto C-58
    0.7 mi
    35. Take the exit onto Ronda de Dalt/B-20 toward A-2/AP-7/C-32/Aeropuerto/Vall d'Hebrón/Sarrià/Fira
    7.6 mi
    36. Take the exit toward Les Corts
    0.2 mi
    37. Take exit 11 toward Les Corts
    0.6 mi
    38. Continue straight onto Av. Diagonal
    0.3 mi
    39. Turn right onto Av. Dr. Marañón
    0.5 mi
    40. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Carrer d'Aristides Maillol
    0.2 mi
    41. Turn left onto Carrer Gallego
    43 ft
    Futbol Club Barcelona
    Carrer d'Aristides Maillol, s/n
    08028 Barcelona, Spain

hahahahahaa thats fucking brilliant
  • Options

It was poor Saturday, we lack quality in central midfield but with little money that is to be expected. We missed Pritch (top assist make for us last season) and even Hariott had a quiet game which reduces the amount of chances we'll create.

What I would like to see is our midfielders following the ball into the box and being there for our strikers to lay it off to. Opposition do it to us but we rarely have anyone other the JJ trying to get on the end of anything, more people you have in the box more chances a rebound or something will fall to one of them.

We missed Pritch and JJ who was a passenger from the off. The two players that do bring energy to our game. Worrying for me is that we have no one else to bring that energy.

• Options
    Plus if we are missing Pritch / JJ then we at least want to have Hughes in the middle (not alongside Gower) to keep the ship steady
  • Options
    Gary...they were fulfilling their contractual obligations to Iron Bru in those photos.