Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A new Coach.

Comments

• Options
    Personally don't feel this was even in the top 20 of bad performances since curbs left.
  • Options
    No matter what the conclusion about the remedy for saturday's performance (and that at Bournemnouth which some have said was all too similar), Granpa is spot on in conveying how it felt. It was pretty shameful to be so far second best to Boro, albeit the first home league game.
  • Options

I don't know why people harp on about getting 101 points in the old Division 3 , it was an absolute disgrace that we were ever there in the first place.

Just remember... Its poor attitudes like that towards the Leagues that get you relegated

A footballer isnt bigger than their club... A team isnt "too" good to be in their respective league!!

I don't know why people harp on about getting 101 points in the old Division 3 , it was an absolute disgrace that we were ever there in the first place.

Just remember... Its poor attitudes like that towards the Leagues that get you relegated

A footballer isnt bigger than their club... A team isnt "too" good to be in their respective league!!
    I know, but surely it is also about standards and self pride. It reminded me of when Glasgow Rangers won the Scottish Third Division last year. The Club held no celebrations because they felt embarrassed to be there. It was similar for us, we went from 27,000 at home to Man Utd with di Canio up front to half that at home to Hartlepool with Pawel Abbott up front in the time it takes to say "Andrew Mills".

Look how embarrased everybody is!!!!
    Glasgow Rangers champions, oh wo ho ho ho ho!

The 3rd division flag was raised this weekend, no embarrassment at all.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I'd absolutely love to watch some posters on here manage or run a football club, just so i could sit back and laugh my arse off at them sinking faster than a boulder.

I'm sure Powell is on the blower to some of barcelona or swansea's coaches, see if they will drop down a level or two for us.
  • Options
    Regarding Rangers - I think they passed up the offer of a open-top bus parade through Glasgow.

The 3rd division flag was raised this weekend, no embarrassment at all.

If you mean that comment sarcastically I think it would be more embarrassing not to fly the flag - doing that would suggest to me that winning the third division title was a bit beneath them.

• Options
    Remember in league one when we used to play good football when Yann wasn't playing, and then immediately switch to lumping it when he was in the team?
  • Options
    The Rangers team, and fans, should be proud of their achievement in winning their third division. We should be proud of winning our third tier the year before last.
    That doesn't mean that either team should be pleased to have been down that far in the first place, but once down you can only play the teams at what is your new level. Whilst it may be embarrassing to be relegated into a lower division in the first place, there can be absolutely no shame in winning a division - it means you're on your way up though your own skill and hard work. That can only be a positive thing. Anyone who thinks it is embarrassing to win a division, any division, seriously needs to seek some help.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I sat in the nice new Coach going home, and reflected on how we somehow managed not only to lose again at home (shades of last season), but also were completely outplayed. I have read all the post match reviews, and all the blame has been heaped on the players, most of whom had a very poor game.

For me the problem in fact lies in the area of coaching. Boro played the ball on the ground, finding space, finding each other with the pass, making the runs etc in the way that football should be played in 2013. They looked as if they had more players on the pitch than us, and it was frankly embarassing. In the second half it seemed inevitable that they would score, and the goal came as no surprise. By contrast, we seem to have only one attacking option, get the ball to Morrison who will then lump it high, wide and certainly not handsome, towards the strikers. Sordell probably likes the ball to feet, and was rendered completely ineffective. Kermogant, always a favourite for me is getting more like John Wayne every game. Into battle as if it is war, getting laid out and lying injured, then bravely getting up and going back for more. Church when he came on looked frisky and keen, but nothing more. Dervite is a certainty for Strictly Come Dancing this year, having clearly shown how well he can grab hold of someone, and drag them around the floor.

In my opinion we have a coaching group who don't understand how football should be played. CP stood and watched that dreadful display for 90 minutes, and his first comment was ' we need to be more streetwise '. My congratulations to the North Upper who gave the team enormous support from the off, but by the second half had been almost silenced by what they were seeing. It was the first time in 60 years that I have been shamed by a Charlton team, and its management. The loyal supporters deserve better.

That's a terrific post, Granpa - I heartily agree with what you say. I have been sceptical of Powell's coaching methods on several occasions in the past few seasons, originally when BWP hit a long dry spell and the coaching staff were ineffective in getting his mojo back. I concur with what you say about Boro - they walked through our defence almost at will, always with a spare man; it was simply too easy for them. For us to have only one shot on target at home proves there is something seriously wrong. I saw warning signs pre-season at AFC Wombles: whole periods in the second half when the midfield was absent. Why aren't Green's repeated failings - free-kicks that don't get past the first defender; corners that are put directly out of play - coached out of him at Sparrows Lane? By his own admission, Powell is still learning the trade; it's daft and quite wrong for any of us to put him on a pedestal.

I'm sorry you were shamed by the team and the management for the first time in 60 years; it was a sad day. As I noted earlier on another thread, I actually came out of the ground trembling with frustration and anger at the pathetically inept performance.

• Options

Granpa said:

I sat in the nice new Coach going home, and reflected on how we somehow managed not only to lose again at home (shades of last season), but also were completely outplayed. I have read all the post match reviews, and all the blame has been heaped on the players, most of whom had a very poor game.

For me the problem in fact lies in the area of coaching. Boro played the ball on the ground, finding space, finding each other with the pass, making the runs etc in the way that football should be played in 2013. They looked as if they had more players on the pitch than us, and it was frankly embarassing. In the second half it seemed inevitable that they would score, and the goal came as no surprise. By contrast, we seem to have only one attacking option, get the ball to Morrison who will then lump it high, wide and certainly not handsome, towards the strikers. Sordell probably likes the ball to feet, and was rendered completely ineffective. Kermogant, always a favourite for me is getting more like John Wayne every game. Into battle as if it is war, getting laid out and lying injured, then bravely getting up and going back for more. Church when he came on looked frisky and keen, but nothing more. Dervite is a certainty for Strictly Come Dancing this year, having clearly shown how well he can grab hold of someone, and drag them around the floor.

In my opinion we have a coaching group who don't understand how football should be played. CP stood and watched that dreadful display for 90 minutes, and his first comment was ' we need to be more streetwise '. My congratulations to the North Upper who gave the team enormous support from the off, but by the second half had been almost silenced by what they were seeing. It was the first time in 60 years that I have been shamed by a Charlton team, and its management. The loyal supporters deserve better.

That's a terrific post, Granpa - I heartily agree with what you say. I have been sceptical of Powell's coaching methods on several occasions in the past few seasons, originally when BWP hit a long dry spell and the coaching staff were ineffective in getting his mojo back. I concur with what you say about Boro - they walked through our defence almost at will, always with a spare man; it was simply too easy for them. For us to have only one shot on target at home proves there is something seriously wrong. I saw warning signs pre-season at AFC Wombles: whole periods in the second half when the midfield was absent.

Why aren't Green's repeated failings - free-kicks that don't get past the first defender; corners that are put directly out of play - coached out of him at Sparrows Lane?
    By his own admission, Powell is still learning the trade; it's daft and quite wrong for any of us to put him on a pedestal.I'm sorry you were shamed by the team and the management for the first time in 60 years; it was a sad day. As I noted earlier on another thread, I actually came out of the ground trembling with frustration and anger at the pathetically inept performance.

You also said that you would rip up my season ticket if he put another corner onto the roof of the net.

But if he does,you wont will you,you silly old twit?

Calm down,nothing bad's going to happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redskin said:

Granpa said:

That's a terrific post, Granpa - I heartily agree with what you say. I have been sceptical of Powell's coaching methods on several occasions in the past few seasons, originally when BWP hit a long dry spell and the coaching staff were ineffective in getting his mojo back. I concur with what you say about Boro - they walked through our defence almost at will, always with a spare man; it was simply too easy for them. For us to have only one shot on target at home proves there is something seriously wrong. I saw warning signs pre-season at AFC Wombles: whole periods in the second half when the midfield was absent.

Why aren't Green's repeated failings - free-kicks that don't get past the first defender; corners that are put directly out of play - coached out of him at Sparrows Lane?
    By his own admission, Powell is still learning the trade; it's daft and quite wrong for any of us to put him on a pedestal.I'm sorry you were shamed by the team and the management for the first time in 60 years; it was a sad day. As I noted earlier on another thread, I actually came out of the ground trembling with frustration and anger at the pathetically inept performance.

You also said that you would rip up my season ticket if he put another corner onto the roof of the net.

It already has happened. Didn't you notice?

• Options
    Where are all these nut jobs coming from??
  • Options

Redskin said:

Granpa said:

It already has happened. Didn't you notice?

Obviously not. What's happened?
  • Options

These drugs you've been taking.....can you get me some?
  • Options

Granpa said:

That's a terrific post, Granpa - I heartily agree with what you say. I have been sceptical of Powell's coaching methods on several occasions in the past few seasons, originally when BWP hit a long dry spell and the coaching staff were ineffective in getting his mojo back. I concur with what you say about Boro - they walked through our defence almost at will, always with a spare man; it was simply too easy for them. For us to have only one shot on target at home proves there is something seriously wrong. I saw warning signs pre-season at AFC Wombles: whole periods in the second half when the midfield was absent. Why aren't Green's repeated failings - free-kicks that don't get past the first defender; corners that are put directly out of play - coached out of him at Sparrows Lane? By his own admission, Powell is still learning the trade; it's daft and quite wrong for any of us to put him on a pedestal.

I'm sorry you were shamed by the team and the management for the first time in 60 years; it was a sad day. As I noted earlier on another thread, I actually came out of the ground trembling with frustration and anger at the pathetically inept performance.

Funniest thing I've read in ages!

• Options
    Jesus wept, if after all these years a 1-0 home defeat to Middlesbrough on the 2nd week of the season causes such suffering then Charlton probably isn't the right club for you!

I'm relieved I wasn't a regular on here around 2007-2009, it must have been draining.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    so much wrist slashing. two games into the season and we've got a goal difference of -3. Put things into perspective jesus h christ.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

It was the first time in 60 years that I have been shamed by a Charlton team, and its management.

Have you seen asleep since 2006 Granpa or been to any League Cup match in the past 25 years? ;)

I totally agree
  • Options
    As my mate always says "Oh well, no-one died"...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kent Addick, if that was aimed at me, let mejust tellyou that I know how it feels to watch your son slowly die over 2 years. We coped, although you never totally recover. Your comment was ignorant, very much I suspectlike yourself.
  • Options
    Granpa said:

Kent Addick, if that was aimed at me, let mejust tellyou that I know how it feels to watch your son slowly die over 2 years. We coped, although you never totally recover. Your comment was ignorant, very much I suspectlike yourself.

I agree, Granpa. There are some unpleasant people on this site who want to deny your and my expressions of natural human emotion. Neither you nor I threatened to slash our wrists. That your eloquent and thoughtful opening piece on this thread should draw abuse from some people is pretty sick. A few months ago someone began a discussion titled 'What has happened to us?', disappointed by the lack of civility that abounds on this site. Just out of interest, I went back into the archives to read discussions taking place in 2000, and was struck how courteous Lifers were to each other then. Standards have plummeted.

• Options

, I went back into the archives to read discussions taking place in 2000, and was struck how courteous Lifers were to each other then. Standards have plummeted.

2000 ?? Really
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Totally agree about SCP's coaching methods , every time we lose I think he's got this wrong and during the last 5 wins amd 3 draws at the end of last season i think he just got lucky with us playing teams that were off form, look at Wolves they're in the third tier now
    So what if we won league one , everyone was pretty pony and I could have managed us to that many points .

These two performances this year are clear proof he's not as good as we all think
  • Options
    2000 .......?

They wouldn't let me join CL until 2006.

AFKA OUT!

• Options

, I went back into the archives to read discussions taking place in 2000, and was struck how courteous Lifers were to each other then. Standards have plummeted.

2000 ?? Really
    Was it later? They are the first few pages of the archive; I was trying (unsuccessfully) to find some inside dope on the sacking of Dowie just 12 or 13 games into a three-year contract.

• Options
    People over reacting everywhere!
  • Options
    I find the talk of it being 'embarrassing' for us to win the 3rd division pretty arrogant personally and the sort of outlook I'd expect of someone who supports a Newcastle or Liverpool.

Though it may have been below our level as a club, pretty much every player in a red shirt that year achieved a career high for themselves. For anyone to try and take the meaning of that away from them because of what 'we' were watching with Charlton 5-10+ years ago is very selfish IMO.
  • Options
    Curbs was managing us in 2000
  • Options
    Quality post that tom. Take a bow sir.