Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Most embarrassing moment at a football match

Comments

• Options
    Where was the cramp ?
  • Options
    Both legs. I think it was after one of the momentus games we used to play for the Bull.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned the Bull in another link, wonder if our picture is still up
  • Options
    Fairly pissed up the year before last sat near the home dug out for the Blackburn carling cup game.
    Keily's first game that season i think, he made a great save so i yelled out "See that Curbs - thats proper keeping that is"... he turned round and yelled SHUT UP at me... i was mortified.

and i suppose he knew what he was talking about as i think deano let in three after that.
  • Options
    has anyone ever been hit by the ball ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]has anyone ever been hit by the ball ?

I once thought I had.

Before the North Upper was build I sat front row right behind the goal, prematch one Saturday afternoon Kiely was doing kick ups in front of his goal, he then span around and volleyed the ball straight towards me. Along with people all around me I absolutely shat myself, thinking this full powered volley was heading straight for my face. Then we all realised there was the minor matter of the net between the ball and us.
  • Options
    not embarrassing, but funny at the time. On Saturday i was watching a game and a fella took a whack on his ankle near the sideline. big scream, he was picked up and carried off, but the manager went over, told him there was nothing wrong with him and pushed him back onto the pitch.

the lad hobbled for about two yards then bent down to feel his ankle. Just after he bent down, a cross field pass was made out to him, the same defender came charging in and took him out good and proper on the other leg. Massive scream again, bloke collapses to the floor, everyone is killing themselves as he's carried off for the second time in about 15 seconds !
  • Options
    Pretty tame compared to most of the others in the thread.

I was watching a game in the early eighties at The Valley and there weren't many there. Carl Harris bottled a challenge when he could have broken away and I yelled out "Harris you've got no bl**dy bottle" just as the rest of the crowd went silent.

He heard me and looked over at that point I thought in for a penny in for a pound and looked right back at him. Nothing was said but he certainly played a lot better after that.
  • Options

i was about 7,sitting on the mesh at the front of the covered end,losing a bit of interest in the game and got hit on the side of my head from the ball,then it knocked a policeman's helmet off.i remember him glowering at me and then jeff woods just picking the ball up and walking away.was well chuffed with myself though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2007

My daughter was, at her first game aged 3, by Andy Petterson warming up Ilic at the wycombe pre-season friendly in 1998

Was quite funny- he came into the crowd to a chorus of boo's and hisses, i said to SA jnr, This is Andy Petterson who play's in goal for Charlton and he say's quietly, "No I f-ing don't, all i do nowaday's is warm the f-ing goalkeeper up"

Strangely, she has no interest in football at all now.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Hillsy's Up[/cite]Getting cramp whilst sitting in the North when there was no upper, and being carted off by the St Johns Ambulance in front of every one!!

lol!!!!!!
  • Options
    great thread, great stories lol Maria and lucky red amongst others!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]has anyone ever been hit by the ball ?[/quote]

Almost, in the Selhurst days I was standing on the Arthur Waite terrace (obviously before the seats went in so our first/second season there) and the ball came flying in my direction at a rate of knots, I went to duck out the way only for one of my mates to stick his fist out, the ball hit his fist and because of the speed it was going at knocked his fist straight into my gob. To this day he swears it was an accident...
  • Options
    At Tranmere on the 4 steps that was the home terrace on a Friday night when I was living in Liverpool (god knows who they were playing but we regularly did Tranmere Friday/Everton/Liverpool Saturday and the anything local on the Sunday late 1980's) - I was happily standing reading the programme the light can't have been too good as I was hit by a wayward practice volley (before the game) full in the face through the programme..........
  • Options
    Mine was at the 'Boro last year. I went with my seven year old lad. He has a few behavioural difficulties, one of which is inappropriate language. I gave him a ten minute lecture about not swearing at the match, even if he hears adults around him who are swearing. He did take it in and kept quiet.

About three quarters of the way through the match, feeling frustrated after 'Boro had got their fourth, I had had enough. I decided I had to give Romm the benefit of my impatience. The background noise being quite high, I assumed that my lad would not hear me. Just as I was about to open my mouth, the crowd around us were momentarily silent and so my lone voice was heard to say 'COME ON ROMMEDAHL YOU LAZY OLD SHIT'!!. You should have seen my lads face. "Dad you said "shit". "You told me not to swear and you said shit" . Embarassing or what!
  • Options
    bump from the 2007 archives. sure there are plenty of new tales for people to share
  • Options
    Danny Greens free kick last night
  • Options
    Only one contender for me. For some unknown reason I took my mother to the West Ham game on Boxing Day in 1st season back at the Valley. I had season tickets in the North Stand and halfway through the first half my mum starts reading her copy of the Daily Telegrah. Words fail me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My most embarrassing moment wasn't at the football itself,but on here afterwards.

It was at The Valley this season against Brum and I watched the game through a blaze of whisky.

I came on here afterwards and said;Poyet, by any other name, would be average.

Truly embarrassing...

Fantastic thread.
  • Options
    Took my nephew to see us play Reading away and he asks me why are there so many QPR fans going to the game.
  • Options

has anyone ever been hit by the ball ?

Yes. A wayward shot - but one with oomph - came straight towards me so I tried a sort of closed fist volleyball spike to return it but failed to get my thumb out of the way. The ball rammed straight onto my thumb. Not embarrassing because no one notice but it hurt like hell for weeks and I couldn't drive home because I couldn't change gear.
  • Options
    Took a, not frequent, visitor to the Valley to play off semi final in 1998.

Crowd "clap, clap, clap clap clap Charlton" repeat...

Infrequent visitor "Why are they shouting Scotland?"
  • Options
    Having to pay three times to get into a palace away match in the early 80s
  • Options
    We were 1-0 down at home, and with ten minutes or so left Curbs (and possibly Gritty at the time) bought on John Bumstead. "Effing great, we need a goal and you bring on Bumstead" I shout loudly. Within a minute up pops JB with the equaliser...
  • Options
    kentred2 said:

Having to pay three times to get into a palace away match in the early 80s

Oh come on, you can't just leave it there. Why did you have to pay 3 times, and after the 2nd were you not tempted to just think it wasn't your day?
  • Options
    One of the first games I saw at the valley after the rule was introduced to not allow keeper to pick up ball on a back pass and the ball was passed back to the keeper and I shouted 'pick it up for f***s sake'. My brother nudged me and a few people were looking at me bemusedly.