Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Slater's programme notes on Saturday

Apart from one reference from Henry, I dont think anybody has mentioned his remarks in any detail. In the interests of fairness at least, perhaps we should discuss them, in the context of the other threads. For me also, if he has given details of revenues of other clubs, I'd be very interested to read them. It is important to benchmark our situation against others. If anyone could summarise his key points, ideally including the figures, I'd be most interested. Perhaps someone can scan the page?

Comments

• Options
    I must admit I too was interested to see whether this was/ would be discussed on here. I haven't read the programme, so please excuse any inaccuracy, but read the extracts in the news shopper. To me, I read it that they don't want to admit the clubs for sale, but think his comments about not having the only workable model for success were telling! We are open to offers, please, please!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Which teams get parachute money ? by my estimation it is eight in the current CCC which I list below, interestingly only two of the number have made it back to the Prem within the four year timescale,but another two have got relegated further :

09 / 10 Burnley ( Hull and Pompey )
    10 / 11 Birmingham / Blackpool ( West Ham )
    11 / 12 Blackburn / Bolton ( Wolves )
    12/13 QPR / Reading / Wigan

Slater reckons that this is worth £20 Million in extra revenue although I believe this decreases in increments in years 3 and 4.

It would explain why Blackpool can take a chance on Ricardo Fuller and we can't.For all of his injury problems I would maintain he was worth around eight points last season which was the difference between a last day relegation fright like the Spanners and nearly making the play offs. Unfortunately this is what we are up against.
  • Options
    I don't think Burnley received four years of payments, but only two.
  • Options
    Wd be interested to see pic of our article and wording assuming it made the cut
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @PragueAddick I can sell you my copy if you like?

In all seriousness there's nothing in there worth reading. I'm sure people would take what he said as meaning that the club isn't for sale for £40million, but that's not actually what he said. It was the usual "clever" wording where you think he's saying something, but it turns out he's actually not.

I quoted a sentence on a previopus thread a few days ago. Will have a look now to see if I can find it again.
  • Options
    "Contrary to reports in the press, I have not told anyone that he club is for sale for £40million" - Michael Slater

Which is not the same thing as saying the club is not for sale, or that £40million is not what they are looking for.
  • Options
    He also said something along the lines of not being the only ones who have a working model on how to run a club
  • Options

He also said something along the lines of not being the only ones who have a working model on how to run a club

The the hell does that mean ?

• Options
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/10604977.Slater_denies_Addicks_on_the_market_for___40m/

CHAIRMAN Michael Slater has denied national newspaper reports last week which claimed Charlton were up for sale for £40 million.

The figure was quoted in two Sunday tabloids on August 4 but Mr Slater told the club’s official programme for today’s Championship meeting with Middlesbrough neither story had any foundation.

Mr Slater said: “Contrary to reports in the press, I have not told anyone that the club is for sale for £40m.

“Since our promotion back to the Championship, we have received numerous approaches from people claiming to be interested in buying the club, although, amusingly, none from Turkey, Sweden or Russia, as some journalists and fans mistakenly believe.

“We are endeavouring to run the club on a sensible basis.

“The progress we have made since December 2010 is undeniable.

“But we do not claim to have the only workable business model for running a football club, and the owners feel duty-bound to listen to anyone of substance with a credible plan that might help the club develop more quickly.”
  • Options
    Off_it said:

"Contrary to reports in the press, I have not told anyone that he club is for sale for £40million" - Michael Slater

Which is not the same thing as saying the club is not for sale, or that £40million is not what they are looking for.

He has written a whole page in the programme and not said much at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Slater makes the point that Palarse's revenue in 2011/12 was 25 per cent higher than CAFC's in 2012/13 (you can't make a proper overall comparison with us in 2011/12, because we were in League One).

Palace's turnover jumped to £15,022,059 from £12,706,503 in 2011/12 - with the club citing the successful Carling Cup run to the semi-finals as the main reason. If so we might want to look at that as an exceptional event, although you'd think their 2012/13 revenue was fairly buoyant too.

Charlton's revenue in 2012/13 was £11.8m, although a small allowance should be made for the fact we were still charging League One season ticket prices.

What interests me from researching the data (although Slater doesn't mention it), is that Charlton's (League One) match receipts in 2011/12 were comparable (within £1m) or better than three quarters of Championship clubs - including Palace - despite many fewer away fans than in the second tier.

One area in which we do very, very badly is merchandising, so for example we appear to have got £150k profit from Just Sports last year as per VOTV, whereas many Championship clubs are well into seven figures in income.

It's a similar story in other commercial areas, although the data is difficult to isolate.

I don't say, by the way, that this is down to incompetence, there are other explanations, and also I would say that tickets out-performed what might be expected, but it does suggest to me that we're not going to address the club's ability to compete significantly by focusing on selling more tickets, even though it has knock-on benefits for other income.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dickplumb said:

Off_it said:

He has written a whole page in the programme and not said much at all.
    Sounds about right. Plenty of words, not a lot of substance/meaning. It's an artform. Mind you, he had the whole summer to work on it.
  • Options

One area in which we do very, very badly is merchandising, so for example we appear to have got £150k profit from Just Sports last year as per VOTV, whereas many Championship clubs are well into seven figures in income.

Surely that isn't a like for like comparison eg merchandising income of £1m may still only generate 15% profit or £150k
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Surely that isn't a like for like comparison eg merchandising income of £1m may still only generate 15% profit or £150k
    True, but it's not 15 per cent of £1m, in many cases it's a lot more. I'm not saying that the Just Sports deal was right or wrong - I believe we've made a loss in this area in the past - but our sales are much lower than comparable clubs.
  • Options

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/10604977.Slater_denies_Addicks_on_the_market_for___40m/

although, amusingly, none from Turkey, Sweden or Russia, as some journalists and fans mistakenly believe.

Glad he finds it all amusing....

• Options

True, but it's not 15 per cent of £1m, in many cases it's a lot more. I'm not saying that the Just Sports deal was right or wrong - I believe we've made a loss in this area in the past - but our sales are much lower than comparable clubs.
    Hi Airman,

Any particular reason why our merchandise sales are so poor?
  • Options
    I have no interest is getting into trouble for copying a program without permission (especially as the club were selling them for £5) but I think you'll find that it is in the public domain that in 2011/12 Leeds's turnover was £33m, Leicester's turnover was £21m and Brighton's turnover was £22m. It may also be true that Palace's turnover in 2011/12 was about 25% more than ours in 2012/13.

Question: How many is the minimum number that one could, realistically, call numerous. Two, three or does it have to be more?

Incidentally, I have no problem with public statements being a little biased and/or misleading. We don't, actually, want all our competitors to know what we are planning, nor do those that have been bankrolling the club have to disclose their bottom figure when they are trying to sell something for the top price (be it the club or a player) or the top price they will pay for something (players, again, for example).
  • Options

Slater makes the point that Palarse's revenue in 2011/12 was 25 per cent higher than CAFC's in 2012/13 (you can't make a proper overall comparison with us in 2011/12, because we were in League One).

Palace's turnover jumped to £15,022,059 from £12,706,503 in 2011/12 - with the club citing the successful Carling Cup run to the semi-finals as the main reason. If so we might want to look at that as an exceptional event, although you'd think their 2012/13 revenue was fairly buoyant too.

Charlton's revenue in 2012/13 was £11.8m, although a small allowance should be made for the fact we were still charging League One season ticket prices.

What interests me from researching the data (although Slater doesn't mention it), is that Charlton's (League One) match receipts in 2011/12 were comparable (within £1m) or better than three quarters of Championship clubs - including Palace - despite many fewer away fans than in the second tier.

It's a similar story in other commercial areas, although the data is difficult to isolate.

I don't say, by the way, that this is down to incompetence, there are other explanations, and also I would say that tickets out-performed what might be expected, but it does suggest to me that we're not going to address the club's ability to compete significantly by focusing on selling more tickets, even though it has knock-on benefits for other income.

I believe this has long been our problem. Our development has always been (or appeared to have been) focussed on matchday tickets. Kids for a quid, football for a fiver but not enough focus on the 'matchday experience'. When we have capacity crowds where were the extra shop staff outside the club shop giving out vouchers to entice people inside? Where were the additonal staff inside the shop to ensure that the queue wasn't so long that people gave up and left? Where were the extra staff selling food and drink inside the building to make sure that everyone got served at half time? Where was the pitch entertainment to make sure families got the best value for their ticket and kids didn't get bored? Where were the promos upselling STHs to meals in the lounge and post seats for the match (which would also free up their seat to resell)?
    All these things are really important if we want to get more money in, and more importantly, turn occasional fans in the STHs. Alot of these things could be happening every week but the focus is on simply getting bodies through the turnstiles.
  • Options
    Don't think it is fair that many complain about not getting any communication from the board and then just some complain about it when it does come.
  • Options
    I have used the lounge once and I get a couple of letters a year 'inviting' me to come again.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

Don't think it is fair that many complain about not getting any communication from the board and then just some complain about it when it does come.

No one is complaining that he communicated though.

• Options
    DRF said:

I believe this has long been our problem. Our development has always been (or appeared to have been) focussed on matchday tickets. Kids for a quid, football for a fiver but not enough focus on the 'matchday experience'. When we have capacity crowds where were the extra shop staff outside the club shop giving out vouchers to entice people inside? Where were the additonal staff inside the shop to ensure that the queue wasn't so long that people gave up and left? Where were the extra staff selling food and drink inside the building to make sure that everyone got served at half time? Where was the pitch entertainment to make sure families got the best value for their ticket and kids didn't get bored? Where were the promos upselling STHs to meals in the lounge and post seats for the match (which would also free up their seat to resell)?
    All these things are really important if we want to get more money in, and more importantly, turn occasional fans in the STHs. Alot of these things could be happening every week but the focus is on simply getting bodies through the turnstiles.
    I agree about the kids bit particularly. They are our future fans and also the ones who may nag their parents to take them to matches. At a young age the football in itself may not grab them too much. there are some relatively simple and cheap things that I think would change the matchday experience for kids that would have a positive effect like half time competitions (for children supporters of both team) to win prizes.

Have you seen on Brighton pier, they have a dolphin race game where you throw balls in holes to move them. We could have one of these with Charlton players. A football scoring - shooting ball through holes game etc... These things would make it all more enjoyable for kids and they would want to return! At the moment - during a boring game - I often hear - can we go home dad?
  • Options

DRF said:

At the moment - during a boring game - I often hear - can we go home dad?
    That's what I usually say to my old man!
  • Options
    Well I for one think that Slater is genuinely offering us some education by presenting the Palace figures, and certainly I, and the Trust boys, will want to chew on them. Any sensible business wants to benchmark itself against other businesses in order to workk out if it is doing everything it can to optimise revenue and profit. Of course its important to pick a comparable business and, up until the Play off disaster, Palace has been the best benchmark. The figures are a bit of a shock to me because I was under the complacent assumption that we were doing better than Palace in all areas.

That of course is also why it is reasonable for Airman to criticise aspects of the Club's commercial performance. He's not doing it out of 'bitterness'. There is a benchmark. The key question then is, what were Palace doing better than us (other than a Cup run) and what can we learn from that?
  • Options
    All down to The Crystals Prague.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Correct

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I don't think it's fair that people complain about people complaining when those people aren't actually complaining about the thing they are said to be complaining about. That's my complaint.
  • Options
    WSS said:

All down to The Crystals Prague.

Did I miss some naff stripey promotional tactic?

• Options
    i'm sure there was an article that said millwall had a bigger turnover than us due in part to their cup run ... it's all about the cups

• Options
    DRF said:

There may be some truth in that, although if you mean pre-match entertainment etc then there was some effort in that direction at all the Football for a Fiver games and especially against Hartlepool, which was also discounted. Rightly or wrongly, the club's structure delivered a focus on selling extra tickets - the club development team - and we had no jurisdiction or authority to deal with "the matchday experience", which fell into other remits.

I'm sure that if you put that to relevant people they would say that the constraints of the infrastucture, i.e. size of the shop, number and capacity of refreshment outlets, safety certificate restrictions re queues were all limiting factors, but it does got back to the fact that marginal ticket revenue more or less flows straight through to the bottom line, whereas extra spend in other areas is significantly offset by additional cost of sale.

The fact that a good experience encourages a repeat ticket sale I well understand, but with the budgets in League One it may have been tough for managers to address.