Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pigott and Kermorgant...

On Saturday (vs Middlesbrough), Sordell didn't really prove a lot, however, I think this has something to do with the lack of service from the midfield. Church worked hard when he came on, but I think Pigott would have been the better option over both of them.

If Pigott became our main man upfront, Kermorgant could sit just behind him; so that Joe can make runs from the headers that we know Yann can win! Sordell didn't make enough runs, but Joe works hard and has a lot to prove, and he is eager to show his ability. He will definitely be looking to score and is incredibly confident in front of goal. Perhaps Pigott could be our best hope for goals this season?

Comments

• Options
    Way too early to put Piggot in . I would have Church ahead if Sordel though .
  • Options
    It's very early days to decide on either Sordell or Church. Lets see them bed in first and then make a judgement based not on a couple of games where the whole team looked indifferent.
  • Options
    Would rather see Church at the moment.
  • Options
    Kermorgant is our first choice, he's proved time and again that he can do it. Sordell needs to build fitness and confidence with us; he will come good - be patient. Church is next in line and should play most games though probably not as a starter. Pigott did very well in the friendlies and in the cup. He should be put on the bench for experience and played against Huddersfield.
  • Options
    On Saturday I would give Kermorgant a rest .. I haven't seen any games so far this season but 'reports' are that Kermorgant is a bit slow and overweight, perhaps he is not fully fit. Early season is THE time to experiment and try new things .. against Barnsley I'd choose Pigott and Church
  • Options
    Vs Oxford (yes only Oxford) Church's movement off the ball was second to none. I don't see how we can go from trying Sordell and Kermo to trying Piggott and Kermo without giving Church a go. I still think Sordell will come good. 2 games in and he's been given a lot of stick already. Piggy will get his chance but there's players ahead of him IMO.
  • Options
    We don't seem to have a natural pairing up front yet. Maybe we won't get one until the midfield is sorted out, but we do have 4 strikers, and Pigott deserves just as much of a chance as anybody else to makes his case.
  • Options

We don't seem to have a natural pairing up front yet. Maybe we won't get one until the midfield is sorted out, but we do have 4 strikers, and Pigott deserves just as much of a chance as anybody else to makes his case.

Have to say I agree with you on this one, andynelson.

I know it was only a PSF at Welling but 3 goals were scored by Joe & Yann linking up there.

This, plus Joe's performance against Oxford, made me think that the pairing might have been given a start against Boro with both Church & Sordell on the bench.

Just my opinion , of course.

• Options
    Joe's pretty versatile. I've seen him a lot for the U-21's, and he knows how to get into good positions. He did this in the second half against Oxford, coming deeper to get the ball, and holding it up well. I like the fact that he's willing to take a few knocks as well, something which would help Kermorgant, who seems to take most of the physical stuff on his own at the moment. Oh, and he scores goals as well.
  • Options

On Saturday (vs Middlesbrough), Sordell didn't really prove a lot, however, I think this has something to do with the lack of service from the midfield. Church worked hard when he came on, but I think Pigott would have been the better option over both of them.

If Pigott became our main man upfront, Kermorgant could sit just behind him; so that Joe can make runs from the headers that we know Yann can win! Sordell didn't make enough runs, but Joe works hard and has a lot to prove, and he is eager to show his ability. He will definitely be looking to score and is incredibly confident in front of goal. Perhaps Pigott could be our best hope for goals this season?

Piggot is nowhere near Sordell or Church. Yes he is a youth product so we all get excited but lets not get ahead of ourselves. If the money was available we would have got another experienced Championship striker and Piggot would have been in the U21's for the season or out on loan to a lower division.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    TravHouse said:

Piggot is nowhere near Sordell or Church. Yes he is a youth product so we all get excited but lets not get ahead of ourselves. If the money was available we would have got another experienced Championship striker and Piggot would have been in the U21's for the season or out on loan to a lower division.

What aspect of Pigott's game do you not like?

• Options

TravHouse said:

It is not a case of me liking or disliking his game. He has not played a full league game and people are saying he should start ahead of a full international with Championship experience and an England U21 international that a Premiership club paid £3m odd for??

No thanks... not yet anyway
  • Options
    A young Rooney wouldn't have had a chance with our lot seeing the comments about Piggott not being ready! What a load of crap! Confidence wise its a blow to go out and perform only to see the gaffer bench you as a young player. Some do fil and it only builds character to take the rough with the smooth...
  • Options

A young Rooney wouldn't have had a chance with our lot seeing the comments about Piggott not being ready! What a load of crap! Confidence wise its a blow to go out and perform only to see the gaffer bench you as a young player. Some do fil and it only builds character to take the rough with the smooth...

this .. what IS the point of 'youth development' if they are never or rarely selected for the 1st team
  • Options

And what about Church, who scored twice in that game?

For one thing Pigott and Yann up front lacks pace. Last season some would moan about a lack of pace when two of Yann, Fuller and Hulse played together.

Young players do need to get a chance at some point but from what I've seen Church looks more likely to hurt Championship defences at this stage.

I'd rather see Cousins get a game. CM is a weak area and most combinations we can choose from lack a bit of pace and energy.
  • Options
    TravHouse said:

TravHouse said:

It is not a case of me liking or disliking his game. He has not played a full league game and people are saying he should start ahead of a full international with Championship experience and an England U21 international that a Premiership club paid £3m odd for??

No thanks... not yet anyway
    So he shouldn't play in a league game because he hasn't played in a league game??
    I'm not bothered about what someone else paid for a player- we paid 1.5m for Andy Gray.
    It's possible Pigott could be groomed as reserve to Yann, you can't expect him to play all game every game, especially not the way he plays.

• Options

Vs Oxford (yes only Oxford) Church's movement off the ball was second to none. I don't see how we can go from trying Sordell and Kermo to trying Piggott and Kermo without giving Church a go. I still think Sordell will come good. 2 games in and he's been given a lot of stick already. Piggy will get his chance but there's players ahead of him IMO.

Agree with pretty much all of this, Sordell will come good just dont judge him on 2 games in which the teams performance was shocking

• Options

this .. what IS the point of 'youth development' if they are never or rarely selected for the 1st team

Definitely agree

But then maybe we should continue down the route of Green / Wilson etc... Never give them a chance and release them and then if they're any good buy them back at a later date
  • Options
    Piggot may not be ready to start but some opportunites from the bench would be great for his confidence. However we need our midfield firing on all cylinders to be providing Yan, Sordell, Church and Piggot with opportunities to score. Once the midfield are providing those crosses and then if the strikers are continuously still missing those chances thats when they need to be replaced with others. No point dropping strikers not being fed for other strikers who won't be fed either.

I honestly don't mind who is up front, i just want whoever it is to score goals for Charlton.
  • Options
    Let's see how he does in the cup against Hudders.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Totally agree with Clapp. Why shouldn't Pigott be given a chance? We threw shelvey, Harriott, solly, Parker etc into the mix, so why not take a risk on joe? He's big and quick, ideal to be making the runs off of kerm. Sordell was shocking against boro and we shouldn't be putting all of our hopes Into a loan signing. Start him against Huddersfield and let him prove his worth.
  • Options
    Parker only got a run in the team after chomping at the bit for 2-3 years. Still think that's the best way to blood young players.
  • Options

Parker only got a run in the team after chomping at the bit for 2-3 years. Still think that's the best way to blood young players.

He also had a successful loan spell at Norwich that got him recognised. If Powell doesn't think they are ready yet then he should loan them out to see if they could be. Personally i think Piggott and Cousins could help us this year, so getting up to speed with a months loan at League 1 club would do them both the world of good.
  • Options
    Parker had some injury issues - mainly to do with his body growing and while Curbs gave him some game time here and there the amount of time was controlled to give him some experience while not letting either get over-used or have his confidence dented by sitting in the stands week after week. Another reason why I'm disgusted with Parker - unlike a lot of other talented players he was brought on carefully and not thrown in the deep end and as result he hasn't suffered extended periods out of the game like many other talented teenagers. Charlton did the same thing with Solly and Harriott, rushing kids into an adult's sport rarely ends well.

I hope the same is done with Pigott - give him time off the bench at the end of matches and the odd start in League Cup games and go from there. There's no point killing his confidence by over-playing him and expecting too much.
  • Options
    I think there's an argument that Rooney is starting to get burnt out after playing too much too young. I certainly think it played a part in Owen retiring so young.

Piggott should be on the bench, but I agree with Scoham - the next youngster to blood should be Cousins as he potentially could bring a lot of things to the centre of midfield that are currently missing.
  • Options

I think there's an argument that Rooney is starting to get burnt out after playing too much too young. I certainly think it played a part in Owen retiring so young.

Piggott should be on the bench, but I agree with Scoham - the next youngster to blood should be Cousins as he potentially could bring a lot of things to the centre of midfield that are currently missing.

Seconded (or thirded) Piggott is good, and if Sordell does only end up here half the season he may well break through as a first team player (though maybe not first 11). But midfield is where we are weak right now, and to buy a proven and reliable solution would cost a lot. If we must gamble, gamble with our own youth not another teams is the way to go.
  • Options
    I should caveat by saying before we get too panicky about the midfield - lets first see what happens when we field the players that finished last season so strongly.

As of yet we haven't been able to start with a midfield of Pritch, Gower, Jacko & Harriott. Of what we currently have that is probably the best balanced 4 we can put out so lets see if that makes an difference before we throw the baby out with the bath water.
  • Options
    Sordell will never feel for CAFC the way that Pigott does .. Pigott has been with the club since he was a little saucepanlid .. Charlton football club is in his DNA ... psychologically he will go the extra inch/yard/mile that Sordell would never go. Sordell is potentially a decent player .. BUT he is, at the end of the day, a loanee, with all that that implies.
    Put Pigott in the side, at least for a game or two ... NOW
  • Options

Sordell will never feel for CAFC the way that Pigott does .. Pigott has been with the club since he was a little saucepanlid .. Charlton football club is in his DNA ... psychologically he will go the extra inch/yard/mile that Sordell would never go. Sordell is potentially a decent player .. BUT he is, at the end of the day, a loanee, with all that that implies.

And what about Church?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Scoham said:

And what about Church?
    He has signed as a full contract player .. I have said twice on other posts that for this week's game I would play Church and Pigott, rest Kermorgant who some think is either unfit or carrying a knock which needs resting, and see how it goes while the season is still early and before things get potentially very wrong and poor Powell is too scared/loath to take ANY kind of gamble or meddle with the team.
    Kermorgant can be on the bench. If Church and Pigott together is a total no no (I doubt that it will be), then bring on Kermorgant and/or Sordell.