Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Carson the best goalkeeper we've had

edited March 2007 in General Charlton
Apart form McMoist, An Appy and Stone who will obviously say Sam Bartram would you all say Carson is the best keeper you have seen play for Charlton.

Kiely runs him really close but Carson has the lot for me.

Gonna be a big hole to fill....

Comments

• Options
    I liked Nicky Johns
  • Options
    He's in Good Company though :-

Nicky Johns, Bob Bolder, Dean Kiely, for example have been excellent servants. Think Carson has the potential to be a future England Keeper, has been my favourite player by far this season. I also predicted he would be player of the year pre-season on here, don't think there is any doubt about that now.
  • Options
    Dean Kiely the best in my time. Season after season of great performances.
    Carson is good, very good but he's only been at the club 5 mins, I can remember one or two goals from ealier this season that I reckon he should have stopped. Don't ask me to name them!! I just know......
  • Options
    Seems a long time ago now but wasn't Carson a panic move after West Ham and Norwich stitched us up over Green? Time's a great healer, no hard feelings :-)
  • Options
    I thought Bob Bolder was the best in my lifetime cosnidering the state of affairs at the club, finances etc.....

Still a decent keeper now :)!
  • Options
    And dont forget Graham Tutt
  • Options
    Nicky Johns for me - though Bolder runs him a close second. I'm a little bit too young to remember Tutt properly, but he was mustard according to me mam
  • Options
    thing with Carson, i think he has gradually got even better as the season has progressed. Couple of early goals i felt he could of done better with, been a while since i have thought that.

Has been fantastic for us, and should (rightly) walk the player of the year award.
  • Options
    Bob Bolder for me. It was a shame that Graham Tutt got his injury coz I'm sure he would've become a legend.
  • Options
    Chirpy makes a good point about how long you perform well.

If you didn't take that into account then a lot of people would say Sasa Ilic because he was superb during his purple patch.

I missed Bartram so for me the contenders are Wright, Johns, Bolder and Kiely. I've discounted Graham Tutt because again (through no fault of his own obviously) he didn't do it over a sustained period.

I choose Deano because although he fell away a little bit last season he was consistently brilliant for six seasons, five of those at the top level.

Only a fag paper between him Johns and Bolder though.

As for Scotty player of the year by an absolute street.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keily - I had absolute faith in him. Couldn't kick properly but he demanded that the team stop the opposition. Once Carson gets control of the box in the same way he may be even better. Shame it will probably be at another club. Kiely felt like one of us.
  • Options
    Keily as a pure shot stopper - shame about kicking and commanding area.
    Tutt would have played for England.
    Carson will go on to get England caps.

Best goalkeeping performance I have seen was Petterson away to Sunderland in late 90's. 0-0 and Petterson would have stopped a nuclear warhead that day.
  • Options
    over an extended period then Keily although it's hard not to choose Bolder. Carson is a great shot stopper but I still think he doesn't command his box or come off his line enough when the ball is in the air but he is 21 and here to learn. His kicking and distrubution is good as well and certainly better than Deano's.

Sasa in his purple patch was still the best I've ever seen. He had it all.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Keily as a pure shot stopper - shame about kicking and commanding area.
    Tutt would have played for England.
    Carson will go on to get England caps.

Best goalkeeping performance I have seen was Petterson away to Sunderland in late 90's. 0-0 and Petterson would have stopped a nuclear warhead that day.

Bolder up at OT in the 0-0 was different world
  • Options
    Illc at Birmingham, best keeping performance I've ever seen
  • Options
    I'll never forget Skippy's save against Palarse in the draw at the Valley in the late nineties. By Christ that has to be the best save I've ever seen.

He was far too patchy to be considered a great keeper though
  • Options
    Illic for me
    why did he have to go & bang his head :-(
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's a good question and not easy. These are my suggestions

1. Kiely - For his consistancy and dedication at the top level for a long time. There was also a season or two when he was the best in the Prem in my opinion.

2. Bolder - He was also consistant and his positional play was excellent. Just feel Deano was the better keeper due to the volume of brilliant saves he made.

3. Carson - He has the potential to be the best but he hasn't played enough. If I was picking the best based on less than a season then Illic would be up there at the top. I just think its too early for Scott.

4. Nicky Johns - Brilliantly agile shot stopper, positional play not so good. Was replaced by Bolder which says quite a bit for me. Many keepers reach their peak later in their career but I think Nicky's best days were earlier on.

5. Mike Salmon - Under-rated and very consistant. We missed him when he was injured which speaks volumes to me. Not quite the top of the top draw but an excellent keeper nonetheless.

6. Jeff Wood - Made the best save I have ever witnessed against Orient in injury time at Brisbane Road to preserve our old old Div 2 Status (I think it was 1978).

7. Graham Tutt - He had great potential and put in some excellent performances in the 74/5 promotion season. He could well have been an England contender but for the tragic injury. There just isn't enough of a career to judge him on.

8. Illic - One fantastic period when he was just invincible but too little consistancy thereafter.

As for the main other ones, I never saw big Sam and I was really too young to appreciate Charlie Wright but my impression was of a strong character but very inconsistant handling.
  • Options
    I still get v.v nervous whenever a cross comes into the box, it's quite rare that Carson come to collect it, although he is only young and will get better and better.
  • Options
    4. Nicky Johns - Brilliantly agile shot stopper, positional play not so good. Was replaced by Boulder which says quite a bit for me. Many keepers reach their peak later in their career but I think Nicky's best days were earlier on.

Excellent summary Bing. Nicky relied on his amazingly quick reflexes. Once they slowed slightly as he got a bit older the positional deficiencies began to show through.

Bolder had a better all round game however he also had a half decent defence in front of him. Johns made some amazing saves (in the seventies particularly) behind what was not the most reliable of defences (to put it politely)!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it me, or are we producing more and more shot stoppers in this country now, rather then the all rounds excellent keepers of the past like Shilton, Jennings etc etc
  • Options
    Has to be John Dunn surely?

Kiely at B'ham away was superb 3 season back two brilliant stops from Dugarry and Forsell
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Is it me, or are we producing more and more shot stoppers in this country now, rather then the all rounds excellent keepers of the past like Shilton, Jennings etc etc

my take is that its more reflective of dealing with a lighter ball that travels at more speed and movement.
  • Options
    Steve Brown - his fantastic performance when he had to go in goal at Villa in 98-99.
    And we won 4-3! ;-)
  • Options
    Close call between Deano and Bob Bolder for me. Both done a sound job over a number of years. Don't get me wrong, Carson has been top drawer for us this season but if you're going put someone in the all-time great category lets have a prolonged spell to prove their worth.
  • Options
    Keily for me- just for consistancy and commitment to us. (and not his kicking before anyone says anything)

Ilic was fantastic, but at the time he gained total confidence from having a great back four in front of him, in relation to the level we played at then.

Carson is a future England No 1 for sure.
  • Options
    Deano for me...ok kicking/distribution weren't that brilliant but a great all round keeper and club player.

Scott Carson looks the real deal though and if he keeps improving then a definite England No 1.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]I'll never forget Skippy's save against Palarse in the draw at the Valley in the late nineties. By Christ that has to be the best save I've ever seen.

He was far too patchy to be considered a great keeper though

I remember that, O'Connel stuck one on Hopkins as well that day and Steve Brown was immense at centre-half. we won 2-1 and one of my favourite games that day!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Deano for me...ok kicking/distribution weren't that brilliant but a great all round keeper and club player.

Scott Carson looks the real deal though and if he keeps improving then a definite England No 1.

you say that bfr, but i tell ya what whenever any pundits or anyone Sky sport news talks about the future eng number one they are never once mentioning our Scotty, its all about that Foster! Foster is an ace keeper for sure, and it will be very tough call between them in a few years, but i think carson gets a duff deal when it comes to people thinking/talking about who will be future No one!

Anyone else agree here??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]you say that bfr, but i tell ya what whenever any pundits or anyone Sky sport news talks about the future eng number one they are never once mentioning our Scotty, its all about that Foster! Foster is an ace keeper for sure, and it will be very tough call between them in a few years, but i think carson gets a duff deal when it comes to people thinking/talking about who will be future No one!

Anyone else agree here??

Selfishly, it suits me - better chance of keeping hold of him. When we storm up the league and into a solid UEFA cup spot in a few years we'll be laughing!