Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Carson the best goalkeeper we've had

2»

Comments

• Options
    I'm not too sure what the pundits say regards Carson, and if they overlook him when discussing who'll be the regular England keeper in a year or two.

There are a lot of similarities between them, Foster and Carson are both young, are great keepers in the making and both belong to big clubs who've loaned them out to specifically get EPL experience, rather than get them off the books while they make the grade or not. I couldn't tell you which is better or more likely to succeed and be the regular England no 1. Maybe Foster currently has a higher profile having been in a few England squads, and he's had a couple of good seasons at Watford, while Carson, being slightly younger has been shunted in to U 21s although I suspect that's because he still qualifies for that age group. Foster has more games under his belt too.

Frankly if either were to sign for Charlton I'd be happy, but on balance I'd prefer Scotty. From what I've seen of him his shot stopping ability and reactions are good, his handling is good, ability at crosses/corners is ok too, perhaps his positioning, anticipation and command of the area are the things that need to be worked on but they'll come with time and experience and have improved as the season has gone on. A season or two of playing behind an established and solid back four (rather than the rotating defence we've employed this season) and he'll be an England starter for sure.
  • Options
    tell you what whats better in england at the moment than carson,better than calamity james and hes cohorts foster and robinson,the mans class.
  • Options
    Carson could be one of our great keepers, but for that to happen he surely has to play more than one season. Which unless we stay up(And we will by the way)and offer him a great package and come up with at least 5million, he will not. He has pulled off some cracking saves this season that have been so precious to our point total. Some of the saves against Citeh were world class. Kiely has done the business on more than one occasion and we are were we are today partly because of him. A couple of games the one against Tottenham at home when Ferdinand was thwarted at least 5 times. The kitchen sink wouldn't have got past him that day. Also away at Birmingham, that save from Dugarry, class. One thing that let Deano down was his kicking and a couple of small mistakes(ie Swindon). But one the whole i think Carson will be a better keeper, but Deano shades it for me, he had a great rapport with us.

Deano! Deano!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]Has to be John Dunn surely

Dunn took over from Wright (and Bellotti) and always seemed to me to be a better keeper. I was quite young at the time really to judge, but my mates Dad who was a former keeper for an Athenian league team always rated him and slated Wright. Dunn was prone to rushes of blood. I particularly remember in the league cup replay against Sheff Utd in 1971(?) when with about 10 minutes to go he ran out of his goal and got stranded. They scored to equalise. The game went to a second replay and we lost. He didn't play for us for very long and his career fell away after leaving us. Not too bad a keeper but we've had many who were better than him.
  • Options
    Which was the goalkeeper who got sectioned?
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Who mentioned Derek Bellotti?........Back around the early 70's on the away coaches, we used to murder a charts song of the time:

"Bellotti's not Bonetti, we can tell, tell, tell....."

Peter Bonetti (the Cat) was the Chelsea & England keeper who fouled up when England chucked a 2-0 lead with 18 minutes to go against West Germany, in the World Cup Quarter Finals - we lost 3-2.

Derek Bellotti.....well - " Bellotti's not Bonetti, we can tell, tell, tell......."

NOT a Charlton legend.
  • Options
    I mentioned Belloti but not to the extent that he was any good. Nobody has mentioned Tony Burns, the keeper with the long throw out. (Not too much else). He went to Palarse. Also he presented me two of my football medals in the Sevenoaks and District Under 19 League. Happy days!
  • Options
    Carson is a very good keeper and Kiely was also excellent but for me Bob Bolder was the best keeper I have seen in a Charlton shirt.

The bloke had a massive presence and was the bravest keeper I have ever seen, I remember an Upton Park home game against Bristol Rovers when the ball dropped to their striker about six yards out and the bloke pulled back his right leg for a maximum power shot only to see Bolder throw himself at the ball head first and the ball hit him in face and went behind. Incredibly brave because he could have easily taken the strikers boot at full power right in the face but he still went through with it. Have seen that save on video too and it was as good as I remember.
  • Options
    Bolder certainly was fearless and strong. His name always seemed to me to sum him up. A bloody great rock. It was a very close call for me between him and Deano. I just think that in recent years the balls are lighter and swerve more now than ever before and he just kept playing at the top of his game year after year. He did slip a little at the end but even now he's still doing it for the Baggies. I never thought I would see a better keeper for us than Bolder until Deano came along.