Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gower

Comments

• Options
    He has been very poor this season alongside hughes, gower, jackson but actually thought he did much better when Cousins came on in the second and did a lot of running and tackling. Thought the second half midfield with Pritchard instead of wilson might have potential. Gower and Stephens were just too similar. Tell Gower he's the general and surround him with willing runners!
  • Options
    I mean hughes, stephens and jackson, sorry.
  • Options
    Don't think his season has started brilliant. Saying that he is better in a 5 man midfield, with creativity around him. He's not going to go on mazy runs and create things. He's a Carrick type player, who keeps possession and keeps things ticking over. Which last season we really lacked a composed player on the ball.

As said, hasn't had the greatest of starts. Bearing in mind, his played in a 4 man midfield.

If you saw him last season, when we were playing a five, you will know what he brings. Boro away & Bristol at home. Watch the goals, and you will know where I'm coming from.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I don't think Gower and Jackson can play together in a midfield 4. Cousins will probably start next week and I expect Gower to do so too with Jackson on the bench if fit. Gower is capable of pulling the strings if he has someone alongside him who will get up and down the pitch and battle... and also has ability on the ball themselves.

To be honest it would appear that the only one of our current squad who can do that is Cousins.

When Jackson is fit it will be interesting to see what Powell does as I think he's a big fan of both players.
  • Options
    Must have been foisted on Powell.
  • Options
    nope powellys man 100% and if you read the reports from some that were there they saw him in a different light to others once cousins was on
  • Options
    Needs a work horse alongside him but appears to be showing his 35 years.
  • Options
    Nothing if another creative player like stephens is paired with him, loads if Cousins or Jacko is in there
  • Options

What does he supposedly bring to our side?

A box of donuts, a few smarties and a couple of concers in the autumn ;)

• Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Jackson, Pritchard, Harriott and Cousins would be my first choice 4 from the current squad.

Not a dig Len (genuine question), but have you seen enough of Cousins to put him in there?
    No I've not seen much of him but enough to know that he has more pace and energy than the likes of Gower, Stephens and Green. Lack of energy in midfield was all too evident against Middlesborough. Cousins also has the welcome quality of not being a midget too, unlike many of our players, which can help at set pieces.

The rationale of my first choice four is this: Jacko has a wand of a left foot and an eye for goal, Harriott has the ability and energy to do the unexpected, Pritchard will do the Kish job and cover every blade of grass and Cousins appears to have the potential and energy to support the others as well as adding a bit of flair himself.

Gower has something to offer perhaps with the right blend around him but Stephens and Green have both flattered to deceive for too long as far as I am concerned.

I
    Len, It doesn't happen very often, but I totally agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He has good control of the ball. Passes to feet and moves into space. Not a great tackler or box to box. Needs better than what we currently have around him to see him at his best.
  • Options
    With Jackson out I'd like to see the midfield Len suggested. Gower played in a 3 man CM at Swansea, think he'll look better with pace and energy around him. He's not gone from competing in the Prem to League 1 standard in a season or so.

We will struggle if too many of Gower, Jackson, Stephens, Green, Hughes and Hollands play together in the same midfield.
  • Options
    Funny how Pritchard was week one's scapegoat. Now he hasn't played for a couple of weeks he's first on everyone's team sheet.
  • Options
    He doesn't bring goals if his Swansea record is anything to go by.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_TsKlulzE8
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Funny how Pritchard was week one's scapegoat. Now he hasn't played for a couple of weeks he's first on everyone's team sheet.

Was always one of the first names on my team sheet.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Totally agree Vincenzo. One bad game and he is not good enough according to many who ain't got a clue.
  • Options
    Gower is at his best in a central three, if we play 442 he shouldn't play.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    No manager can get every signing right - especially when money is tight - Powell's record is excellent but I don't think Gower will go down as one of his best - although useful to have as a squad player possibly.

Pritchard will have off games- but he does bring something to the side with his fantastic energy levels!
  • Options
    He played much better yesterday once he had someone alongside him who could play 5 yard passes to feet on a regular basis.
  • Options
    only seen him the once .. yesterday .. he did OK especially when Cousins was alongside him .. he spreads the play well .. negatives? .. he has the pace of an aging tortoise
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @nla have you spoken with him of late? If so has he mentioned much about the players out of contract and if it has had a affect on morale etc?

Fully understand if you can't answer on a public forum.
  • Options
    From Jordan Cousins' interview on the OS:

“I've said it before, but my team-mates are all a big help. Especially Mark Gower in the middle with me. He was superb. He kept talking to me and made me get more confident so it always helps.”

So that's one of the things he brings
  • Options
    He's slow, his passing isn't anything special, he doesn't score goals, he doesnt exactly protect the back for. Serious weak link for me.
  • Options
    Must admit he hasn't done much yet that impresses me.
  • Options
    I just fail to see what he brings, I really do. I remember him from last season also, didn't do anything spectacular and struggled with quite a few of the basics. I'd personally like to see Hollands & Stephens given a go again when Jacko is out. I'll probably be the only one who thinks that but I'd really like to see it again.
  • Options
    Gower, our best technical player and passer of the ball but let's slag him off anyway. Maybe it's what's around him that's the problem.

Paul Lambert said he had to be ruthless with his Norwich side after promotion from League One and replace players who weren't good enough. Time to do the same...if we can.
  • Options
    Would like to see how he does with Church, Pritchard and Cousins in the team. Should show his passing ability with more movement and energy around him.
  • Options
    He effectively plays the Britton role but I feel he's never going to play to his ability because we don't have to players to play to his strengths and utimately we would be better with a natural ball winner in there instead.
  • Options

Gower, our best technical player and passer of the ball but let's slag him off anyway. Maybe it's what's around him that's the problem

You must be joking?
  • Options
    Who's better then in that respect?