Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crowd today

2»

Comments

• Options
    Curious of one thing Purdis - are you a member at the Ipswich golf club? Hot a very good m8 who is and a Purdis Heath ball marker. If so assume you know our old keeper and until recently Purdis member Keith H??

Oops sorry for taking thread off subject and unless a takeover is close to completion the lack of spending by the board must surely be counter productive as less people will attend games and spend money on programmes and refreshments which will make the value of the business fall further.

Simple market economics!
  • Options
    We always get rubbish crowds in August, plus it was Doncaster, on a bank holiday weekend, in the rain, with no school freebies, and probably only about 4 freebies through the ST voucher.

Most crowds in our division were down yesterday from what they would normally be.
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

Curious of one thing Purdis - are you a member at the Ipswich golf club? Hot a very good m8 who is and a Purdis Heath ball marker. If so assume you know our old keeper and until recently Purdis member Keith H??

Oops sorry for taking thread off subject and unless a takeover is close to completion the lack of spending by the board must surely be counter productive as less people will attend games and spend money on programmes and refreshments which will make the value of the business fall further.

Simple market economics!

Not a member but live very, very near to the Golf club.
    I know the Club Treasurer, that's about it
  • Options
    Agree with Southend.

Yesterday was probably our "core" support due to few freebies, weather, opposition, holidays etc.

13k in light isn't great but certainly not bad imo
  • Options
    Wonder if the club will do anything to get more people in for the Millwall game.
    Our biggest game of the season, on tv for everyone to see. It won't look particularly impressive if we have a half-full home end.
  • Options
    footballs crowds are on the down imo anyway and ours will be down too due to general apathy
  • Options
    edited August 2013

We always get rubbish crowds in August, plus it was Doncaster, on a bank holiday weekend, in the rain, with no school freebies, and probably only about 4 freebies through the ST voucher.

Most crowds in our division were down yesterday from what they would normally be.

Not entirely true. In recent years we have had relatively good match ticket sales in August, although I agree that Doncaster, the weather and the lack of promotional activity by the club (comps and/or offers) caused this crowd.

To be clear I am not criticising the lack of comps/promotions. I did the same thing at the start of last season, although that was partly down to the fact no one was in charge at the time.

They are in a bind with Millwall because of the prices/security.
  • Options
    Last minute dash from the Algarve for this high class entertainment, still when some fat bald dwarf from donny called us bloody cheats at the station, I didn't stop laughing for a long time.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Here are previous home games from late August:

09/10 Walsall Aug 22d Att: 15,306 League 1
    10/11 Oldham Aug 21st Att: 14,842 League 1
    11/12 Scunthorpe Aug 20th Att: 15,505 League 1
    12/13 Leicester City Aug 21st Att: 16,658 Championship
    13/14 Doncaster Aug 24th Att: 13,633 Championship
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

Weekdays or Saturdays Trev ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Not entirely true. In recent years we have had relatively good match ticket sales in August, although I agree that Doncaster, the weather and the lack of promotional activity by the club (comps and/or offers) caused this crowd.

To be clear I am not criticising the lack of comps/promotions. I did the same thing at the start of last season, although that was partly down to the fact no one was in charge at the time.

They are in a bind with Millwall because of the prices/security.
    In August 69 Charlton played Millwall at the Valley -the crowd - 36,000!
    We lost 4-3, the main highlight being Brian Kinsey's 30 yard left foot screamer.
    As usual, the Charlton Shed was awash with Millwall scarves - grrrrr!
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

Weekdays or Saturdays Trev ?

With exception of Leicester they were all Saturdays
  • Options
    I don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that we have another home game coming up this Saturday against much more attractive opponents so given a choice, perhaps walk up fans will go to this one instead?

I don't have the data to hand but suspect that when there have been two home games close to each other in the past then the average gate for them is below what you might expect.
  • Options
    Whatever the size of the crowd, the atmosphere and singing was excellent despite the score
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Whatever the size of the crowd, the atmosphere and singing was excellent despite the score

Agreed - even I went home with my voice shot

• Options
    purdis said:

JonnyK said:

Simple market economics!

Not a member but live very, very near to the Golf club.
    I know the Club Treasurer, that's about it
    Thanks purdis - a very lovely place to live! My pal lives in Bixley Road which as I'm sure you know is also close by to the club.
  • Options

I don't think anyone has mentioned the fact that we have another home game coming up this Saturday against much more attractive opponents so given a choice, perhaps walk up fans will go to this one instead?

I don't have the data to hand but suspect that when there have been two home games close to each other in the past then the average gate for them is below what you might expect.

Lots of factors in the mix - all that can really be said is that a home ticket sale of under 2,000 (which is a reasonable assumption based on known factors) for a Saturday game is unusual. We should be selling 3,000 plus for Leicester, which would be a home support of at least 14,000, without any promos. It was 13,700 for Boro.

One other point is that we are currently down more than 1,000 STs on last season and there is no evidence of them boosting the match by match sales for the first two games. I'm not surprised by that as this is usually the case, but people sometimes assume otherwise.
  • Options
    Crowds poor because home form poor and a 20% ticket price hike in one of the poorest parts of London, it looks like walk ups have dried up. There price hike may be coming back to bite them.
  • Options

footballs crowds are on the down imo anyway and ours will be down too due to general apathy

Oohaah has a point. Ordinary folk can see the way that the PL is killing the game of football off and are starting to find other things to do. Higher ticket prices below PL level just accelerates the process. Mates of mine don't go for a number of reasons but one former ST holder said "it's just not fun any more".
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Not sure how much price is playing a part in this. Apart from the general economic gloom and job issues which do relate to price, current performance on the field of play and most of last seasons performances and lack of transfer activity do not really encourage any walk ups. It would be interesting to see us go on a run with some decent scores and entertaining football and see how the crowds go then. A team pushing for play offs, i would still expect an average of 16-17 thousand. Sadly I am not sure we are going to see that scenario for a fair while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It will be very interesting to see what happens against Millwall.

The fact that it's live on the box coupled with Millwalls reputation & the fact that we are all likely to be held back again, because the club has no backbone, will lead to many people not bothering.
  • Options

The fact that it's live on the box coupled with Millwalls reputation & the fact that we are all likely to be held back again, because the club has no backbone, will lead to many people not bothering.

The club had better come up with another plan other the shite one from last season.
  • Options

The club had better come up with another plan other the shite one from last season.
    Doubt they will because they still think it was a good plan and in any case can easily blame the police for "making them do it".
  • Options
    Expect announcements on this shortly. So far there are no extraordinary measures expected. We are talking to them about this and hoping for more dialogue and communication around policing events like the derby matches, as recently as last week and I believe it is on the next Fans Forum agenda
  • Options
    razil said:

Expect announcements on this shortly. So far there are no extraordinary measures expected. We are talking to them about this and hoping for more dialogue and communication around policing events like the derby matches, as recently as last week and I believe it is on the next Fans Forum agenda

Great news hope you get the right result, good luck.