Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IronMan Whistler

The IronMan is coming to town in my home town in BC tomorrow. It's a 2.4 mile swim, followed by a 112 mile bike ride and then a full marathon at the end (26.2 miles).

This place is absolutely buzzing, it's mental the dedication these guys go through. My room mate has been insanely dedicated to it (he's hoping for a sub ten hour finish - the cut off time is 17 hours).

Anyone done one or contemplating doing one? Got to admit I have gotten the bug and can see myself signing up for next years in Whistler after watching it play out tomorrow. I'm volunteering at one of the running aid stations so get guaranteed entry for next year and a discounted entry fee ($600 v $750).

Anyone on here fancy signing up... @JohnboyUk , @Leroy_Ambrose? Am sure I could find a place for you in Whistler.

It's supposed to be insanely emotional at the end, athletes get 17 hours to complete, it finishes at midnight and the crowd stays to the end to help and cheer the straddlers through in time to "qualify" as an ironman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhsDOiDEXzc

Comments

• Options
    Absolutely brutal.

I know I can do the marathon part but after a swim (urgh) and the bike ride I'm not sure my knees would allow me to do much more than hobble half of the 26 miles.

Who knows though, the dedication to training before would have to be immense - not sure I have that inclination any more.
  • Options
    Run and bike ride i Think i'd be ok on, but swim is just a complete no go. Absolutely brutal!
  • Options
    The swim is what scares me the most... the lakes up here are pretty much frozen until mid March - would have to be lots of lengths in the pool. Can't think of anything less interesting!
  • Options
    I would definitely do it if it weren't for the swimming. My swimming is so poor that I doubt I could do one mile, let alone 2.4.

Its the only thing that stops me doing triathlons.
  • Options
    My son was poor at swimming but improved with practice ( Lake Annecy) . He's done two iron men but his girlfriend beat him and she's now done the double iron man in Switzerland. He rose to the challenge and got a new girlfriend - wimp!
  • Options
    Same as Leroy, got no issues with the run or the ride (not that I've run a full marathon yet...thats my next target) but the thought of swimming a mile or more, jeez. Put it this way, a mile is 66 lengths of the pool at Crook Log. That takes me about 55mins by breast stroke lol.

I really want to have a go at a tri. I'm planning on taking some swimming lessons at some point to be able to get my front crawl up to an adequate standard to have a go but when, god knows.
  • Options
    The Saffer I work with does tris. He keeps on at me to get swimming lessons so I can do them with him, but I'm just not confident enough to think I could ever do 50 lengths of a pool, let alone 150 of them
  • Options
    So after being completely inspired on Sunday watching the iron man I dropped $700 notes and signed up for July next year.

Now on the hunt for a 2nd hand road bike and a wet suit.

Crapping myself and massively excited at the same time. My soft target is to complete under 13 hours .... yikes!
  • Options
    Have a number of friends who have completed multiple IMs (some with near Kona-qualifying times). Have held out so far (same as above...essentially a non-swimmer) but expect to crack and give a shorter distance a go next year and then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if your on twitter. Speak to @cbuttle he does triathalons for fun in his spare time at the minute. Good local Charlton lad too. May be able to help out with some equipment.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    JohnBoyUK said:

Same as Leroy, got no issues with the run or the ride (not that I've run a full marathon yet...thats my next target) but the thought of swimming a mile or more, jeez. Put it this way, a mile is 66 lengths of the pool at Crook Log. That takes me about 55mins by breast stroke lol.

I really want to have a go at a tri. I'm planning on taking some swimming lessons at some point to be able to get my front crawl up to an adequate standard to have a go but when, god knows.

JB/Leroy, ever thought of trying the Olympic Sprints? The swim is usually only 350/500k in a pool then straight onto the bikes about 15/20k and then a run of about 3/5k. They're all chipped races with good facilities and security. Some are open water but most in pools at leisure centres.

There's some well organized events in Canterbury, Sittingbourne, Maidstone and Ashford, which we'll be doing next year.

http://www.velocity-events.co.uk/
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

JB/Leroy, ever thought of trying the Olympic Sprints? The swim is usually only 350/500k in a pool then straight onto the bikes about 15/20k and then a run of about 3/5k. They're all chipped races with good facilities and security. Some are open water but most in pools at leisure centres.

There's some well organized events in Canterbury, Sittingbourne, Maidstone and Ashford, which we'll be doing next year.

http://www.velocity-events.co.uk/
    There's a few a bit more local than that.

Dartford & Swanley Whiteoak Tri Squad put on a sprint event (think it was sometime in June this year) - 400m swim in a pool, 27k Bike and 8k run...which is an ideal starting point. There was also the Bridge Triathlon at Dartford (with an open water swim) which one of my friends entered which is supposed to be very good and has various distance options.

I will have a go at one once I get my swimming sorted out...but trying to fit that in amongst everything else I do at the moment is difficult.

• Options
    Swimming would muck me up , I am a shit swimmer and always look like I'm drowning only last month a life guard put a metal pole beside me as I swam a length of the pool In lewisham
  • Options
    Can I wear arm bands?
  • Options
    All the best fella. I saw a bit more of Whistler myself than I intended to back in May. Went out for an easy 10k but got a bit lost on the trails around the lakes and ended up being closer to 10 miles I reckon! Great place to run though.
  • Options
    Good luck ya nutter
  • Options
    Good luck mate!!
  • Options
    Yep, you go by your name - Crazy !
    Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Very best to you, you're just like my son a total nutter hooked beyond redemption. He got up to seventh place yesterday and is on a total high, so hope you get a buzzin' result as well.
  • Options
    Cheers all! @bournemouth addick - how long was you up here for mate? Did you make it into the Dubh Linn Gate irish pub? Next time you're here let me know, always happy to shout a fellow addick a beer!
  • Options
    Need to borrow the suit from Marvel.
    Good luck.
  • Options

@thecrazyaddick how did you get on?
  • Options

@thecrazyaddick how did you get on?

he's still doing it !
  • Options
    Marathon in 3 hours 50 after all that went before it, that's cracking! Well done. I decided a month or so ago that I am going to do an IronMan this time next year, any tips?
  • Options
    yes... don't.
  • Options
    :) Best advice I was given was to spend as much time on the bike as possible - at the height of my training I was probably on the bike 12-13 hours a week. Obviously you need to spend plenty of time swimming and running.. but the bike's where you can have the most impact.

Practice long rides with the nutrition you will be using, I used Perpetuem (a hammer product) for the bike and then gel's and whatever I could get my hands on for the run. Where are you thinking about doing it @GNelson ?