Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IronMan Whistler

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Got lost for a while at the top of Whistler about 15 years ago - scary; nothing but snow, ice and places to die. Mate I was with was being paid to be a ski guide and he was next to useless. This was during snow time.

Edit - in fact the guy I was with had been heli-vaced off the mountain just a month earlier.
  • Options
    Not sure where yet, I'm doing it with a friend and we're going to look later this week at which one to do. I've done a few similar distance bike rides before, but the longest I've run is a half marathon and I've not done any long distance swims. Plenty of time to train though. Thanks for the tips!
  • Options

Well done @thecrazyaddick‌

Looks a decent time.

Out of interest can you post an average fortnight's training for the Ironman.
  • Options
    Congratulations @thecrazyaddick

Great time well done
  • Options
    Brilliant effort, well done.

Half iron for me next year with the full the year after, plenty of time.....
  • Options

Haha.... finished it in 10h 51 . Which i was stoked with! Brutally hot day and the run was a killer at the end.

My split times if anyone is interested:
    3. 8 km swim in 1h 08
    180 km bike ride in 5 h 45
    Marathon at the end in 3h 50

Can't imagine ever doing anything as tough as that. Living in the mountains there was a crazy amount of climbing on the bike leg. I placed 120 th out of 2000 overall.... pretty happy with that for my first and only ironman!!

Pretty good splits for a first timer, well done! First and only? Yeah rightio, heard that one before, you've not done the double yet, and there's lots of Tri's to conquer ;-) I'm sure mad son will willingly discuss with you.
  • Options
    Cheers guys... @sheffieldred . Roughly 4 weeks out I was training the most. Essentially I was trying to get in 3 sessions of each sport a week. Typical week at that stage:

Saturday - long bike ride, 7 hours ish 180km
    Sunday - 80-90km bike ride with a 10km run off the back,
    Monday - easy swim
    Tuesday - 2km-4km swim before work
    Wednesday Long run (up to 35km)
    Thursday swim am,2 hour bike interval session (hill repeats or sprints)
    Friday c20km run

All in all that would be about 18 hours. Which I had built up to over the 9 months I was training.

I didn't have any biking background at all, definitely one of the most beneficial things I done was to head to Maui in Hawaii back in May to basically ride ride ride for 10 days. That gave me a great base!

Generally I was trying to have an "easier" training week every 4th week. There's tonnes of plans out there, I didn't have a coach or work to a strict plan and it went well for me... I also biked on a 2nd hand bike I'd bought off a mate who had upgraded to a cervello P3... was nice to beat his bike split by a couple of minutes!

@stilladdicted - yeah I know... ten days on and I'm already thinking about a "destination" ironman of some sort in a couple of years.

Anyone who wants to do the Whistler IronMan next year - I would highly recommend it, come over and I'll put you up and train with you :)
  • Options
    Well done fella. That's a cracking set of split times full stop, let alone in hot weather. I would love to have a go at an Ironman but I know I couldn't handle the training these days. Although I would find it easier mentally I think in the surroundings you've got for training up there in Whistler

Btw is that pub you're talking about the one opposite the liquor store/supermarket place or am I thinking of a different place?