Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Morrison - the new scapegoat?

2»

Comments

• Options
    He did do the mother of all headers on Saturday when he powered it through to their keeper and he's not normally especially strong in the air.

His strength is as a man-marker because he stays very tight but conditions didn't help him on Saturday and he's down on confidence anyway. He hasn't really been the same since suspension(?) last season when he missed the Millwall away game. Maybe a rest would do him good.
  • Options
    A rest ? He's only played 3.5 games this season !

As above I can't think of many in that team who have covered themselves in glory so far this year. It's a marked decline in performance from practically everyone.

I would pick the same team that started Saturday against Huddersfield because we really need some momentum, we have a very difficult run of games coming up.
  • Options
    Morrison is playing just as well as Solly and Wiggins. Drop all 3? As there all out of sorts at present.
  • Options
    Got to be careful we don't get a touch of the Pardews about us. The midfield has already gone through four different incarnations in four games, the defence and attack two. While I think it's good to drop out of form players sometimes, if you keep dropping players in search of a result every game then that result doesn't come
  • Options
    I think,ultimately, the problems in our defence stem from the midfield - we simply can't protect our back 4. If we can get our midfield right, it will help both ends of the pitch. JC must start the next few games.
  • Options
    The whole back 5 has not been good this season nor has the midfiled in fact i think the whole team has been playing very bad and i feel that we will go down this season
  • Options
    The thing with Morrison, is that when the defence isn't playing well, it's always someone else that's dropped. Thus last season Cort, Dervite and Taylor all were in and out of the team, whereas he seemed to be the constant. Again, half time vs Barnsley, Dervite is taken off, which is pretty humiliating for him. Was he really the weak link that day?
  • Options
    Not sure why some people call that any critism of a few poor performances makes a player a scapegoat. He's not had the best of it over his last half a dozen or so games but he's still in credit. Scapegoat ? Hardly
  • Options
    edited August 2013

The thing with Morrison, is that when the defence isn't playing well, it's always someone else that's dropped. Thus last season Cort, Dervite and Taylor all were in and out of the team, whereas he seemed to be the constant. Again, half time vs Barnsley, Dervite is taken off, which is pretty humiliating for him. Was he really the weak link that day?

Dervite was on a yellow at Barnsley. I'm sure that had something to do with him coming off at half time.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Not sure why some people call that any critism of a few poor performances makes a player a scapegoat. He's not had the best of it over his last half a dozen or so games but he's still in credit. Scapegoat ? Hardly

I agree with this 100%.

Morrison hasn't been at the races for at the races for a while now. Don't think the added responsibility of being captain recently has helped. I'd like to see him dropped.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I agree, very few people are suddenly saying he's been terrible all along, or that all the problems are entirely and completely down to his bad form. On the contrary, he's been excellent for the past couple of seasons, which just makes his indisputably poor performances recently more notable and disappointing.
  • Options
    Whole back 5 needs a kick up the arse.

Onwards...
  • Options

Onwards...

I think your right, CP can't be too impressed with our defending so far this season, last season it was the thing that gave me confidence, keep a tight ship, and try to nick something.
  • Options
    Don't think he is being targeted as a scapegoat. People are judging this seasons performances on what we know he is capable of and has shown over the past two seasons. He has been way off the pace. However, so have the rest of the defence, as this has been stated previously. Is this a case of the midfield being constantly changed and no real understanding being cemented between defence and midfield? I have a feeling that this may be a factor.
  • Options
    He isn't looking himself this season -but on Saturday the pitch was difficult. He certainly needs encouragement on the pitch not slagging off. I'd play him on Tuesday and see how he goes! I am not scapegoating him, but I'd seriously be considering dropping him if I was Powell though!
  • Options

Maybe if after the Barnsley game our fine defensive line ( including goalkeeper ) hadn't spent the Sunday drinking bottles of cider and smoking fags at V festival they may have looked a tad sharper ?..........
    Just a thought

• Options
    Looks like scapegoat will be the new word of the season.

If a player has played badly for a few games and picks up criticism, they're not a scapegoat, they're just playing badly.
  • Options
    he needs to stop trying long passes, thats all

also lately he seems so shakey when a free-kick is floated into the box, strikers just walk through him
  • Options
    So Morrison has a couple of bad games and he's now a scapegoat . I don't believe he's a scapegoat as well as I don't believe a player who has been solid as a rock for two seasons all of a sudden becomes a bad player .

• Options
    He has looked shaky even going back to end of last season.

Dervite has been our best defender so far this season and he's already been dropped
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Although Morrison did not deserve any abuse yesterday, he does deserve to be dropped. Our defence has been awful so far this season and he is one of the main culprits.
    Incidentally, it was Solly rather than Wiggins who was at fault for the first goal. Again, both full backs have been very disappointing this season and Evina certainly deserves a chance on this showing.

Something's hitting the squad morale if you ask me, no doubt the uncertainty ahead of the window closing. Both Solly and Wiggins have looked shadows of themselves this season and that's going to expose and affect the positioning of the centre halves. Morrison isn't looking solid, but I don't think any defender would have looked a world beater given the conditions that end of the pitch.

I don't mean this to be negative - I'm naturally a huge optimist - but Powell will have to be at his very best to keep us up if things don't settle down off the pitch. The one crumb of comfort is that if we're potless, the direct and indirect costs of replacing him would make it seem unlikely he'll be going anywhere.