Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dicanio and his rant tonight

13»

Comments

• Options
    Dicanio was the bollox for us
  • Options
    He's still a twat. In my opinion. Clearly anyone who objects to fascists is going to have a problem with anything he does. Those who think it doesn't matter as much as his good season for Charlton won't.
  • Options
    Sunderland will regret letting this silly little man near the chequebook. Dead man walking with Pardew and Martin Allen.
  • Options

His criticisms are valid, but whether he should make them public is another matter.

You can discuss it here though.

• Options
    You can be a very talented player and an absolute twat. Similarly you can be a genuinely decent and friendly guy - who is absolutely shit as a player. There is absolutely no relation between the two. I respect Dicanio's talent as a player immensely, but that doesn't mean I like him personally.

Regardless of whether he was right or wrong to say what he did, it will turn the whole team against him in double quick time, the resentment and the anger will unite them - against the manager. And from what we've seen so far of Sunderland, that's the very last thing they need.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Di Canio was brought in last season to get a reaction from the players as the club looked doomed under O'Neil. He achieved that but it was always going to end badly and this is probably the start of it. The man has uncontrollable passion but just as when he was a player it's his greatest strength but is also the fatal flaw that will stop him achieving what someone with his talents should.

As for his outburst, people stand up an applaud him for "telling a few home truths" but where does that end ? Is he going to slag his team off every week if a performance isn't up to scratch ? It's not a bad ida because the players feelings might be hurt, it's because publicly slagging people off creates and incredible air of negativity and mistrust.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

As for his outburst, people stand up an applaud him for "telling a few home truths" but where does that end ? Is he going to slag his team off every week if a performance isn't up to scratch ?

Why not? I stand by my post. They do a high profile job with huge rewards, they get adoration by the bucketloads for doing that job competently, it is time they were criticised more for their failings, and if it hurts their feelings, get out of the game and go and earn 40 grand a week somewhere where they can make their mistakes in private...
  • Options

se9addick said:

As for his outburst, people stand up an applaud him for "telling a few home truths" but where does that end ? Is he going to slag his team off every week if a performance isn't up to scratch ?

Why not? I stand by my post. They do a high profile job with huge rewards, they get adoration by the bucketloads for doing that job competently, it is time they were criticised more for their failings, and if it hurts their feelings, get out of the game and go and earn 40 grand a week somewhere where they can make their mistakes in private...
    For the reasons I stated in the part of my post that you didn't quote. If you think the only conceivable impact of Di Canio slagging his players off in public is that John O'Shea might be a little but upset then you're thinking of it in far too simplistic terms.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Whether they get £200 a week or £200k a week they will still have feelings and may prefer things to be said and done in private
    The important issue is to do what's best for the team and I doubt public humiliation by the manager is a good thing whether someone plays for nothing , £200 , £500, £5,000, £50,000, £500,000 a week.
    If you think a player should just suck it up and say so what I'm loaded then I don't think that's the type of player most fans would want in the club
    Or what is the cut off point in wages where you think players should be buried by their managers in public, should SCP have come out on Tuesday and said what a clown Hamer was for not saving Huddersfields first goal that was a near post dolly , or does that depend on his salary?
  • Options
    masicat said:

Sunderland will regret letting this silly little man near the chequebook. Dead man walking with Pardew and Martin Allen.

I agree, and am pleased you didn't mention his nationality, or you would have had the PC racism police onto you..........

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Whether they get £200 a week or £200k a week they will still have feelings and may prefer things to be said and done in private
    The important issue is to do what's best for the team and I doubt public humiliation by the manager is a good thing whether someone plays for nothing , £200 , £500, £5,000, £50,000, £500,000 a week.
    If you think a player should just suck it up and say so what I'm loaded then I don't think that's the type of player most fans would want in the club
    Or what is the cut off point in wages where you think players should be buried by their managers in public, should SCP have come out on Tuesday and said what a clown Hamer was for not saving Huddersfields first goal that was a near post dolly , or does that depend on his salary?

This. I don't remember Phil Brown's public humiliation of the Hull team, on the pitch at HT, a few years ago doing a lot of good.

PS Where is Phil Brown now ? Southend I think.
  • Options

This. I don't remember Phil Brown's public humiliation of the Hull team, on the pitch at HT, a few years ago doing a lot of good.

PS Where is Phil Brown now ? Southend I think. >

On that point CE, Brown was emulating Russell Slade then the manager of Grimsby .. despite being at that time run away 2nd division leaders, they were 4-0 down at half time in an important game at Lincoln .. Slade kept the team on the pitch during the break. He brought out his easel, paper game plans and a felt tip pen to show the players what was what .. Grimsby's form nosedived after this humiliation for the players and they eventually lost the promotion play off to mighty Cheltenham .. Slade was sacked .. he's doing OK at Orient now though, with no repetition of the Lincoln fiasco.
  • Options

masicat said:

I agree, and am pleased you didn't mention his nationality, or you would have had the PC racism police onto you..........

I think nationality is more important to Di Canio than it is to me.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

For the reasons I stated in the part of my post that you didn't quote. If you think the only conceivable impact of Di Canio slagging his players off in public is that John O'Shea might be a little but upset then you're thinking of it in far too simplistic terms.
    Then we must agree to disagree.
  • Options
    The point that players earn a lot of money and deserve to be criticised publically if they have done badly is a fair one - but the job of a manager is to get the best from his , not social justice,and these actions do not help team spirit and morale. It doesn't matter that DiCanio was great for us for a season, he is a disaster as a manager and he won't last the season out!
  • Options
    Surely the fact that a manager of a premier League team is willing to give the fans who traipse up and down the country paying their hard earned cash into the greedy shisters called players who can not even give the club that pays them the millions the focus and concentration for a week of training and 90 mins on a Saturday is refreshing and needed
  • Options
    think those fans would rather he did it behind closed doors and kept players motivated than won cheap brownie points with them and loses the dressing room meaning relegation. bloke is a complete tool, said underland would be relegated this season and stand by it.
  • Options
    I wouldn't rather it was said behind doors I would be well happy to hear that on my way back to wear side after losin in London
  • Options

I wouldn't rather it was said behind doors I would be well happy to hear that on my way back to wear side after losin in London

It would take a lot more than that to make happy going from London to f****ng wearside.
  • Options
    Those long train journeys are always a good craic mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2013
    I would feel uncomfortable If chris powell was doing this in public with our players. We all know post match interviews are for slating the ref.

They have changing rooms to slag players off. All PDC should of said that the player made a mistake and we have addressed it.

Anyone getting slagged of by their boss in public is unprofessional let alone to the whole country/ world.

Di canio will be back in league 1 this time next year.
  • Options
    I think Di canio's criticism of O'Shea in public was wrong, players mis judge bounces, it happens. To publicly castigate him under mines the manager and will not have gone down well with O'Sheas colleagues. I'm not so sure about the striker who bottled it. He could have scored a goal but chose to bottle it, I don't think his "pals" would have been anymore forgiving than Di Canio. It would not surprise me if he had played his last game for Sunderland, when you are such a blatant bottler it is hard to see how his colleagues could trust him.
  • Options
    People make mistakes, O'Shea made a mistake but he's got them out of more holes than he's created. Di Canio is undoubtedly a passionate man, but if you're going to lambast a player for every mistake they make you're going to create a culture of fear and/or apathy among your team, which is the last thing a team needs.

The best managers in every walk of life keep a sense of proportion, do their performance management in private and save more public dressing downs for exceptional circumstances when there is a clear team benefit to doing so. No footballer - not even the very best - are mistake free, and Di Canio of all people knows that very well indeed. More to the point, every person needs managing differently and few will respond to an individual public slagging because of one mistake in an otherwise ok performance.

SCP for example rarely talks other than in terms of the team; "my players" he calls them. He deals with individual issues internally and I don't think I've ever heard him criticise an individual in public even if he's criticised the team performance.

I would be surprised if Di Canio isn't sacked by Christmas.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well quelle surprise ,that mini rant hardly lifted the team and he's on his way , still looked good for the telly , maybe SCP doing one would make some of our nutters fans happy after Saturdays horror showing
  • Options
    Once a manager starts slagging his players in public it's only going to end one way. To be honest with PDC it's only going to end one way anyway. Do you think he's broken into the training ground yet to trash the place and steal all the pictures of himself back ?
  • Options
    many on here said it he wouldnt last long.passions one thing but i think the blokes barmy.letting him loose at a premeirship club they must have been desperate.dont know where he or sunderland go from here.
  • Options
    Presuming Di Canio wants to stay in the UK, what about replacing that Bloom chappie in UKIP ? :-)
  • Options

@nthlondonaddick .. for your 'knowledge', Italians are the same 'race' as the British .. get your facts right before you try sarcasm .. and I am not angry, just fed up with this rubbish manager getting all this unwarranted attention .. If that's alright with you .. what exactly has he ever achieved in football management ? .. AND he signed about a dozen new players for this season .. it's his signings that are not doing the business

Ask Swindon fans you bellend.