Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dartford Bridge & Tunnells shut

just heard on the radio that both the bridge from Essex into Kent and the tunnels from Kent into Essex have been shut...............traffic on the Essex side backing up to J29, no idea where it is on our side but soon it will be carnage.........

Comments

• Options
    One of my Facebook buddies just said the same. He's on the bridge
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    terrorist threat?

probably not if people are still on it though
  • Options
    Twitter suggeste it was some nutter trying to get into random cars at the tolls.
  • Options
    kigelia said:

Twitter suggeste it was some nutter trying to get into random cars at the tolls.

I saw that. The girl I saw who tweeted it appeared to delete the tweet after realising it implied she was tweeting whilst she was driving...

Apparently there's a few helicopters and police are still arriving on scene, can't hear helicopters from barnehurst - sometimes you can.
  • Options
    Says bomb squad on their way on twitter suspicious package. 9 miles queuing. Hope everything turns out ok.
  • Options
    Motorists are facing huge delays after the M25 Dartford Crossing between Kent and Essex was closed in both directions because of a security alert.

The Highways Agency closed the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge at 17:00 BST, with both tunnels shut 20 minutes later.

Police said they were called at 16:00 BST to a report that a male pedestrian was behaving unusually.

He was arrested and officers said they had found a suspicious item, leading to the closure of the crossing.

The force said it expected the crossing to be closed for some time and advised motorists to find alternative routes.

There are four-mile tailbacks in Kent on the anti-clockwise M25, while in Essex, on the clockwise stretch, there are nine miles of tailbacks.

In London, there are severe delays in East Ham, Beckton, Bow, Woolwich, at the Blackwall Tunnel and all approaches to the M25.

The A11, A12 and A13 also have extra heavy traffic.

What, like a boat?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Weird reports on twitter of people being turned back through;
    Being turned around at booths and sent through tunnel back into Essex, through London or round whole m25 the wrong way? #DartfordCrossing
    Ouch.Traffic being redirected off #DartfordCrossing back through tunnel. Hub is literally a mile from home&is now doing a 40m diversion
    BIG_ROB said:

Motorists are facing huge delays after the M25 Dartford Crossing between Kent and Essex was closed in both directions because of a security alert.

The Highways Agency closed the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge at 17:00 BST, with both tunnels shut 20 minutes later.

Police said they were called at 16:00 BST to a report that a male pedestrian was behaving unusually.

He was arrested and officers said they had found a suspicious item, leading to the closure of the crossing.

The force said it expected the crossing to be closed for some time and advised motorists to find alternative routes.

There are four-mile tailbacks in Kent on the anti-clockwise M25, while in Essex, on the clockwise stretch, there are nine miles of tailbacks.

In London, there are severe delays in East Ham, Beckton, Bow, Woolwich, at the Blackwall Tunnel and all approaches to the M25.

What, like a boat?

Or that big tunnel right by Charlton? ;)

I agree though, I've often thought that the Blackwall Tunnel is an awful "alternative" route - you're screwed if you come from the other side of the crossing; Gravesend, Maidstone etc
  • Options
    Just in time for the Woolwich Ferry to close too at 7.30. Glad i am not stuck in it!
  • Options
    Think I picked the right day to have off work!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LuckyReds said:

Being turned around at booths and sent through tunnel back into Essex, through London or round whole m25 the wrong way? #DartfordCrossing
    Ouch.Traffic being redirected off #DartfordCrossing back through tunnel. Hub is literally a mile from home&is now doing a 40m diversion
    BIG_ROB said:

What, like a boat?

I agree though, I've often thought that the Blackwall Tunnel is an awful "alternative" route - you're screwed if you come from the other side of the crossing; Gravesend, Maidstone etc

I think they should just fill the Thames in with concrete and do away with all the crossings, the scrap money from the ferries should pay for it. Also, with this idea, it will stop London from flooding, everyone's a winner!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

LuckyReds said:

BIG_ROB said:

What, like a boat?

I think they should just fill the Thames in with concrete and do away with all the crossings, the scrap money from the ferries should pay for it. Also, with this idea, it will stop London from flooding, everyone's a winner!

Except the fish who live in the Thames.
    Bloody meat/fish eater !

• Options
    I commuted to Essex for over a year - I am so glad I'm not still doing it because I'd be right in the middle of all that. Best thing to do would be to get a hotel room, assuming you could find one.
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

LuckyReds said:

BIG_ROB said:

What, like a boat?

Bloody meat/fish eater !

Let some otters go to eat em all up before the concreting begins
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

LuckyReds said:

BIG_ROB said:

What, like a boat?

Bloody meat/fish eater !

Let some otters go to eat em all up before the concreting begins

Careful fella or I'll set AUN loose !

• Options
    He'll agree with me
  • Options
    only eels in the bit by the ferry , id send the dolphins and whales in there first let them eat it all then the stupid things get lost and cant get out,
  • Options
    Still very busy out there on London bound A2 and A102.
  • Options
    Now the A20 in Dover has been closed by the Police for "an incident"
  • Options
    Dover incident been going on for a while. Appears to involve another white unmarked coach.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fly out to Ukraine from Heathrow tomorrow morning. Mate from Rochdale is driving down today to fly out with us. He left Rochdale at 2pm and i'm sitting indoors in Maidstone still waiting for him. Hes been at the tunnel over 3hrs now!!
  • Options

Fly out to Ukraine from Heathrow tomorrow morning. Mate from Rochdale is driving down today to fly out with us. He left Rochdale at 2pm and i'm sitting indoors in Maidstone still waiting for him. Hes been at the tunnel over 3hrs now!!

good luck mate he will make it in the end! Hope you get there ok and have a good and safe trip!
  • Options
    This was from crossways estate towards A2 at around 6pm this eve so eerie and uncomfortable. All traffic was being held back by A2 junction and traffic on bridge was just sat there - felt sorry for them. I made journey back to Essex via Blackwell tunnel took 3 hours ... Nice on a Friday eve after a 12 hour days and looking forward to an evening of footie..., thanks mystery man with suspicious package at Dartford tolls... You total F***wit !!
  • Options
    Anyone know if all open ok now ?
  • Options

Anyone know if all open ok now ?

Seems ok...http://m.highways.gov.uk/Mtf.aspx?road=M25
  • Options
    Fine now
  • Options
    Cheers
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    From BBC news site.

"A suspect bomb led to the closure of the M25 Dartford Crossing between Kent and Essex for more than seven hours, police have said.

The cylindrical device, with wires, was found on a Dover-bound coach after a man got off just after it had gone through the toll booths on Friday.

The 27-year-old foreign national raised suspicions after he ran from the scene to a rough area nearby."

Blimey, understandable comment but a bit rough on Dartford...
  • Options
    was it Garrryyyy?
  • Options
    mickc said:

was it Garrryyyy?

Lol, very good