Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

cheating in boxing

2»

Comments

• Options
    The verdict stunk the place out.
  • Options
    Blimey, you'll be telling me WWE is rigged next..............
  • Options

Blimey, you'll be telling me WWE is rigged next..............

Never.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Both Hearn & Burns have been very honest. Hope that Ricky recovers well and they honour Beltran with that re-match.

I'd be amazed if they go near Beltran again. They'll probably pick someone like Crolla instead. Although i'm not sure if he has to fight Crawford as a mandatory?

Apparently the judge that gave the 115-112 score to Burns is the same one who gave Darren Barker (who Eddie Hearn promotes) the 12th round which he never won in a million years, thus making him world champion.

Surely there has to be some sort of investigation.
  • Options
    I didn't see the fight but was in Glasgow on Friday night and a cab driver we had was a huge Burns fan and was going but said that he thought he'd meet his match in Beltran and thought it would need a dodgy decision to hang on to his title!
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

Both Hearn & Burns have been very honest. Hope that Ricky recovers well and they honour Beltran with that re-match.

I'd be amazed if they go near Beltran again. They'll probably pick someone like Crolla instead. Although i'm not sure if he has to fight Crawford as a mandatory?

Apparently the judge that gave the 115-112 score to Burns is the same one who gave Darren Barker (who Eddie Hearn promotes) the 12th round which he never won in a million years, thus making him world champion.

Surely there has to be some sort of investigation.
    If the boxing commission had any credibility at all, they'd order a rematch between the two once Burns has healed.
  • Options
    Barry Hearn has been pretty honest on twitter

Barry Hearn ‏@BarryHearn 6h
    we all agree that Beltran won the fight. However the judges gave their decision and that's how boxing is. We all think a rematch is right.

Barry Hearn ‏@BarryHearn 8h
    Two things. Firstly lets hope Ricky recovers from his terrible injury. Then let Beltran have another chance. Seems fair to me.
  • Options
    I'd imagine its results like this and the obvious levels of corruption within the sport that is helping MMA become more popular than boxing. Can see it overtaking in terms of revenue / popularity within the next 5-10 years.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

I'd imagine its results like this and the obvious levels of corruption within the sport that is helping MMA become more popular than boxing. Can see it overtaking in terms of revenue / popularity within the next 5-10 years.

I personally don't think that will ever happen but can see why mma fans think it will

• Options
    The scoring method in the amateur game leaves very little scope for cheating...does it differ much from scoring a pro fight?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The scoring method in the amateur game leaves very little scope for cheating...does it differ much from scoring a pro fight?

Haha really? Not from my 2 years in the amateur game at grass roots level.

• Options

Haha really? Not from my 2 years in the amateur game at grass roots level.

I'm an old boy so maybe things have changed there also.
  • Options
    Boxing is bent - and always has been. How can it not be with the characters that surround/run/promote it?

However, anyone suspecting that MMA will ever overtake it in popularity is deluding themselves. Boxing at it's best is pure theatre. MMA at it's best is one up from blokes chucking tables through windows and glassing each other...

:)
  • Options
    MMA will never over take boxing. It would of done by now.

Boxing when conducted correctly is the second best sport in the world.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Whilst corruption has always been there with boxing it doesn't often rear it's head like Saturday night. Watch the malignaggi v broner fight and tell me broner won that, and if you think he did was it by as wide a margin as one of the judges had it

Mma v boxing is another argument totally and it will be decades before that gets near boxing in Britain. Nolly has it right in his post
  • Options
    Saturday night was shocking but it's no different to any other sport when the home teams/fighers get decision(s) they shouldn't.

Boxing probably has the best numbers/viewing figures/financial rewards it's had in a long time.

Mayweather is getting a record $40m+ for his fight this coming weekend.
  • Options
    Hearn was on TalkSport this morning and reiterated that a rematch is what's needed. Didn't see the fight, kudos to Burns for carrying on - must have been excrutiating to take even a jab - but sounds like the dodgiest of decisions.
  • Options
    PRESS SCORES

Andy Paterson (Boxing Asylum) : 115-112 Beltran

Danny Flexen (Boxing News) : 114-113 Beltran

Dan Rafael (ESPN) : 115-112 Beltran

Kurt Ward (Boxing Asylum) : 115-112 Beltran

Ryan Bivins (Sweet Boxing) : 117-110 Beltran

Ciaran Shanks (Irvine Times) : 116-112 Beltran

Danny Winterbottom (Secondsout) : 115-113 Beltran

Boxing Opinions : 115-114 Beltran

Phil D Jay (World Boxing News) : 115-112 Beltran

Jake Donovan (BoxingScene) : 116-111 Beltran

ATR Boxing Tipster : 115-112 Beltran

Paul Daly (Top Class Boxing) : 115-112 Beltran

Adam Abramowitz ( SN Boxing) : 115-112 Beltran

Terry Dooley (ESPN) : 115-112 Beltran

Alex Morris (KTC Boxing) : 116-111 Beltran

Corey Quincy (BL Boxing) : 116-111 Beltran

Matt Christie (Boxing News) : 115-112 Beltran

Victor M Salazar (Tha Boxing Voice) : 116-111 Beltran

Fighters Rated : 116-113 Beltran

Kieran Mulvaney (ESPN) : 115-112 Beltran

No Holds Barred : 115-112 Beltran

Tom Gray (Ring Magazine) : 115-112 Beltran

Gabriel Montoya (Maxboxing) : 114-113 Beltran

Beau Denison (The Boxing Truth) : 116-111 Beltran

Roe (Checkhookboxing) : 116-111 Beltran

Tommy Allan ( Boxing Asylum) : 114-113 Beltran

Jim Watt (Sky Sports TV) : 115-113 Beltran

Eric Raskin (Boxing Monthly) : 116-111 Beltran

Paul Wheeler ( Boxing News) : 114-113 Beltran

Shaun Brown (LiveFight) : 115-112 Beltran

Lunny (CheckHookBoxing) : 116-111 Beltran

LiveFight.com : 115-113 Beltran

Rob Day (Ringnews24) : 115-113 Beltran

James Tonks (Ringnews24) : 116-111 Beltran

Clive Bernath (Secondsout) : 115-113 Beltran

John J Raspanti (Doghouseboxing) : 115-113 Beltran

Ramon Aranda ( 3Morerounds) : 116-111 Beltran

Paddy Cronan (Onthegrindboxing) : 115-113 Beltran

Mario Muniga (Tha Boxing Voice) : 115-112 Beltran

Wolfgang Schiffbauer (Sturm Promotions) : 116-111 Beltran

John A MacDonald (Tha Boxing Voice) : 115-112 Beltran

Ryan Burton (The Boxing Lab) : 116-111 Beltran

Jeff Powell (Daily Mail) : 117-113 Beltran

Bob Mee ( Sky Sports TV) : 116-112 beltran
  • Options
    Blimey - sort of warrants a Stewards' Enquiry....
  • Options
    115-112 is the fair result Beltran was so professional in his dismantling of Burns once he realised Burns refused to get close to fight as his jaw was killing him

anyone who can last 12 with an injury gained inside 6 mins is a warrior a super human but no one is talking about it as the result was so wrong,

and those saying Boxing Fixed Never !!!! yes everyone knows in certain countries and certain states you need a KO as a challenger and no that is not right and never has been, but most of those fights are close and there is an element doubt and a split decision amongst fans and journos and judges, but this was not the case, if anyone saw it and thought Burns won then they turned the tv off after rd 2 or they watched rd 11 and 12 and even those last 2 rds although close Beltran won them

the result was not in doubt, the crowd was partisan it was a home crowd at its best but they knew and their reaction was spot on, Like all good fans boxing fans are knowledgeable about their sport, they are amazingly gracious to the losing boxer In the majority of fights

but we don't like to see things like that happen, these 2 men put their lives on the line, ultimately they are willing to die for the sport and its followers and yes they can earn huge money in doing so, Beltran has been Pacmans sparring partner for ages, he aint a top earner he aint the millionaire boxer like, Khan, Mayweather, Pacman etc , nor is Burns to be fair but that makes this decision so bad , he put it all there for ultimately nothing
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mma in uk is at the troxy the top fighters luck to get a couple of grand, meanwhile in boxing a domestic dust up between haye v fury is a sell out and they are both getting paid about 300 times more than any uk cage fighter, in america for all its effort mma get paid a small fraction what mayweather will be getting this sat. Boxing is thriving and mma seems to have not pushed on
  • Options

Boxing is bent - and always has been. How can it not be with the characters that surround/run/promote it?

However, anyone suspecting that MMA will ever overtake it in popularity is deluding themselves. Boxing at it's best is pure theatre. MMA at it's best is one up from blokes chucking tables through windows and glassing each other...

:)

This, this and that.
  • Options
    There should be at least some kind of punishment given to judges that are so obviously taking bribes/preferring British fighters. Anyone able to score that fight for Burns was either on the payroll or blind.
  • Options
    Boxing is the chequers to MMA's chess. If Sky Sports was to start showing UFC things would change. I don't watch UFC due to it being on ESPN but the last show (sold out, natch) at London had 4 Brits winning the first 6 fights and a $50k prize for the best knockout, fight out the night etc. When things like this and Mayweather not fighting Pacquiao happening the casual fan could be attracted by MMA, but that's not going to happen with out a proper TV deal. IMO.
  • Options

There should be at least some kind of punishment given to judges that are so obviously taking bribes/preferring British fighters. Anyone able to score that fight for Burns was either on the payroll or blind.

This. Some sports, like football, you can forgive a referee making the wrong decision as it's a split second thing, with no replays and people can make genuine mistakes. But when you're sitting at ringside for 12 rounds and manage to come up with a decision that literally no other person came up with then you're either corrupt or incompetent. In either case, you have no place at ringside!