Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cycling - road rash care

Came off the bike twice on Saturday (greasy road surface after rain and got front wheel caught in tram tracks after taking them too shallow - FAIL on both counts)

Usually I just let grazes heal in the open air, but this time, because one on my knee was so deep (landed full weight on a sharp stone) I put a plaster over it. Now looks a horrible putrid white colour, but doesn't hurt at all. However, the grazes on my elbows and hips are searingly painful - there's a lot of blood pooled under the surface of the skin. Anyone know anything that might relieve the pain of these? They're much worse than any other grazes I've had. JohnBoy?

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:
    That advice is pretty much spot on.
    Just make sure the grazes are clean. If you leave dirt in there, they'll get infected. Ibuprofen 3 times a day for 7 days will help the discomfort, bruising and reduce threat of infection.

• Options

Came off the bike twice on Saturday (greasy road surface after rain and got front wheel caught in tram tracks after taking them too shallow - FAIL on both counts)

Usually I just let grazes heal in the open air, but this time, because one on my knee was so deep (landed full weight on a sharp stone) I put a plaster over it. Now looks a horrible putrid white colour, but doesn't hurt at all. However, the grazes on my elbows and hips are searingly painful - there's a lot of blood pooled under the surface of the skin. Anyone know anything that might relieve the pain of these? They're much worse than any other grazes I've had. JohnBoy?

More importantly, how is the bike? ;)

About 3 miles from our finish in Brussels earlier in the year, one of the poor sods I was riding with came off on the tram tracks, the rear derailleur sheared off through his back wheel, wheel ruined and cracked his carbon frame! Complete write off of a £2k bike.

• Options
    Ouch!

For the bike, I mean :o)

Yeah, mine's fine - second spill pushed the brake hood in a bit but I pulled it out when I stopped in Westerham. Some superficial damage to the frame but I've never given a shit what the bike looks like!

Did Church Hill near Cudham for the first time - nice little sharpener that one, especially enjoyed the 25% bit at the top round the bend! I was out with a noob and an infrequent weekend warrior, so didn't do much else (under 60k), but will definitely include Church Hill on my hilly rides out that way now I know where it is. Still think Pebblehill Road coming up from Betchworth level crossing is the worst hill I tackle regularly - I find it far worse than Brasted/Toys/Chalkpit/Whitedown
  • Options
    maggots in the open wound... nasty injury, touch wood have avoided this so far in 15 years commuting
  • Options
    Church Hill at Cudham is great - one of my favourites ;-) Going down it and up past Xmas Tree Farm into Downe is also a good climb..did my first cycle in weeks up there last week and was going so slow on that climb that my Garmin auto paused...never a good sign... I don't know Pebblehill Road - is that out that way too?

I'm off to the Pyrenees on Sat to do a Raid (starting Sun) - going to be very tough as I haven't cycled for about 5/6 weeks following a back operation...hence my last minute attempt to find some hills to climb and to try and rediscover some form...
  • Options

Ouch!

Yeah, mine's fine - second spill pushed the brake hood in a bit but I pulled it out when I stopped in Westerham. Some superficial damage to the frame but I've never given a shit what the bike looks like!

Did Church Hill near Cudham for the first time - nice little sharpener that one, especially enjoyed the 25% bit at the top round the bend! I was out with a noob and an infrequent weekend warrior, so didn't do much else (under 60k), but will definitely include Church Hill on my hilly rides out that way now I know where it is. Still think Pebblehill Road coming up from Betchworth level crossing is the worst hill I tackle regularly - I find it far worse than Brasted/Toys/Chalkpit/Whitedown

The north side of Toys is a breeze compared to the south side, the road surface stops you getting in any kind of rhythm and can be brutal. You can cut through to Toys from Hosey Hill via Puddledock Lane, thats a killer and goes up to 25% in a couple of places too.
    Brasted was my nemesis for a long time. It took me four attempts to get to the stop without stopping...but then I was carrying two stone more then :)

• Options

Presumably the legs were adequately shaved ? :-))

Must have been something in the water this weekend, took the daughter to Biggin Hill on her new bike yesterday, and coming back down the main road to Keston, momentarily clipped the kerb in full on mode. The body managed to react before the sphincter did, but was a life flashing moment and kept upright. Fortunately no traffic around.

Plenty of fresh air to the wound and pain killers, LA
  • Options
    Ha - no way I'm shaving my legs. I did it when i first bought a bike last year. it felt... 'odd' to say the least. Also, the piss-taking from my mates was too much to bear. Won't be doing that again in a hurry!

I've read that having the wound clean and covered is better than leaving it to dry in the open air, so I'm giving that a go. Ordinarily I just firm it with grazes/gashes, but this one is stupid deep and 'chunky' so thought I'd cover it. Plus, it was sticking to my trousers :)
  • Options

Plus, it was sticking to my trousers :)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Did you not have your helmet on?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I do not like covering, only if it's deep enough: the caveat is that if you're at work, wearing a suit etc it is a necessity, or indeed if you're riding.

I only ever use antibiotics if an infection appears to be setting in. I like to use Iodine, in a dry application, after removing the majority of the dirt with a wet antiseptic spray or wipes. I find this one incredibly soothing:

http://www.boots.com/en/Savlon-Dry-Antiseptic-Skin-Healing-Powder-Spray-50ml_5518/
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    anyone else see "road rash" and disapointed that it wasnt about people on the road racing and punching/clubbing the crap out of each other?

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Ouch!

The north side of Toys is a breeze compared to the south side, the road surface stops you getting in any kind of rhythm and can be brutal. You can cut through to Toys from Hosey Hill via Puddledock Lane, thats a killer and goes up to 25% in a couple of places too.
    Brasted was my nemesis for a long time. It took me four attempts to get to the stop without stopping...but then I was carrying two stone more then :)

The 'other' side of Toys is the one with the shittier road surface, right? I've done both - one of them is definitely worse than the other, and I hate descending that side too, so it must be the one I'm thinking of. Yorks is pretty grim too - though I still find all of them easier than Pebblehill Road. Not sure what it is about that hill - maybe it's just becasue I usually tackle it after being brutalised by another hill or hammering it all the way from Dorking trying to beat my PB :)
  • Options

anyone else see "road rash" and disapointed that it wasnt about people on the road racing and punching/clubbing the crap out of each other?

Absolutely! I've got that tune in my head now.
  • Options
    Can I ask any of you gentlemen what you know about the new triban 5 road bikes sold in Decathlon?
    Been threatening to get a roadie all summer and this is on the shortlist.
    Been told that for the money its hard to get any better.
    Thoughts?
  • Options
    You'll probably get assorted opinions on here, but it looks very entry level to me.
    No specs on the Decathlon page, but I see it's got Shimano Sora gears which I've always liked. It's got a triple front mech!

I'd shop around if you want to spend £500. Local deals, strike up a deal etc.
  • Options
    The Boardman's are good entry level bikes, as are the new 'Hoy' bikes (only at Evans I think)...I don't know this bike am afraid but just read a few reviews and they're all positive. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Decathlon are cheap - but generally shit as well. You get what you pay for. Agree with MAM - 500 quid will get you a much better spec bike at a local bike shop - it'll be a two year old entry-level model, but will be much. much better than a brand new bike from Decathlon. I'm not knocking them (I bought a hybrid in there a couple of years ago for a knockabout commuting bike for under £150 and rode it into the ground) but with a budget of 500 quid you're much better off trying to get a decent make (entry level Cannondale, Specialized etc) from a local dealer. Not sure where you are Carly, but Geoffrey Butler in Croydon are well worth a visit. Very helpful, won't rip you off, will give you sound advice and are likely to have enough bits and bobs in stock to get you a deal that fits your budget.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think a pic is needed of the road rash not the bikes
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers fellas. I've been to a couple of local bike shops. One tried to push a Dawes my way and the other a Claud Butler.If i'm honest I wasn't too impressed.I went to Evans and had a run out on a specialized allez and the Elite.
    Really liked the Elite but a bit out of my price range.
    The triban is getting some rave reviews. A mate who's been into cycling quite a while had a run out on one and said it was as good as his £800 winter bike!(flash fu***r)
    I'm going to have go on one in the next week or so. Cheers for the advice
  • Options
    Decent.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moser-bikes-speed-sora-2013/

How tall are you? This is an amazing deal as well, but they only have small frame sizes left.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-devil-xenon-2012-1/
  • Options
    Don't shave the legs...wax them. £15 at the salon, done. No fcuking about in the shower with a razor for an hour!
  • Options

I think a pic is needed of the road rash not the bikes

Haha - I don't think I'm comfortable taking pictures of wounds and uploading them to the internet

• Options
    John Boy & Leroy are you entering the Catford CC (am) and the Bec CC (pm) Hill climbs in October. The Catford ones York Hill the other side of Ide Hill, and the Bec ones off of Titsey Hill. They are both cheeky little sprints that leave you hanging out.
    Both also featured in the Evans King of the downs sportive a few months ago, not nice after 96 and 105 miles
  • Options
    SESEVEN said:

John Boy & Leroy are you entering the Catford CC (am) and the Bec CC (pm) Hill climbs in October. The Catford ones York Hill the other side of Ide Hill, and the Bec ones off of Titsey Hill. They are both cheeky little sprints that leave you hanging out.
    Both also featured in the Evans King of the downs sportive a few months ago, not nice after 96 and 105 miles

I'm not that mental lol. Climbing has never been my strength.

Sadly I've been on the bike 3 times since May because of a knee niggle but has thankfully cleared up now so hoping to get some miles soon. Need to start doing some hills again...

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Like JB - for me, hills are there to be endured, not conquered :)

I enjoy them as part of a long ride, but can't blast my way up them. I leave that to the skinny midgets I ride with!
  • Options
    Living behind enemy lines just south of Croydon, and close to the north downs (surrey hills) I can't avoid them. But obviously not doing enough as I'm not in the skinny bracket yet ;-), rgds lardy of Whyteleafe
  • Options
    I'm in Reigate. I know allllllll about the North Downs :) Every ride I do of about 50km involves around a km of climbing!
  • Options
    The North Downs arent climbs. Charlton Charlie can tell you about the climbs he's done over the last few years. My legs fill with lactic just thinking about it.