Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC's Price of Football survey

The Beeb have just released their survey of every club across the Premiership, Football League, Conference & Scottish leagues as well as women's soccer and some selected days out for comparison.

The calculator lets you work out how much you spend at your own club based on cost of ticket, food/drink & number of programmes bought over a season.

Not really a surprise, but I think we come out very well in comparison to our peers and we offer a cheaper day than quite a few League 1 and a couple of League 2 clubs.

*Warning...the pic with the story includes a scene of a distressing nature!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23723537

Comments

• Options
    It doesn't cover away games which is where most of my money tends to go.
  • Options
    What pies?

Picture is quality, stripey Nigels.......................hahahaha
  • Options
    Most expensive season ticket at Ipswich seems very high at £1061.00 - I wonder what they get for that sort of money.
  • Options

Most expensive season ticket at Ipswich seems very high at £1061.00 - I wonder what they get for that sort of money.

Meant to mention that. Over £300 more than the next most expensive at Leicester. Perhaps a tractor parking space? ;-)
  • Options
    Its good to see West Ham encouraging the kids in though. Good Idea should have thought of this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24045505
  • Options
    So, you put in the price of a ticket and what you spend and it multiplies it by the number of games.
  • Options

Its good to see West Ham encouraging the kids in though. Good Idea should have thought of this

Brady claims they pioneered it at Birmingham. No idea who was first to be honest and it doesn't really matter. It needs to be done to encourage families and the next generation. I think where we differ is that we've always, even in the Premiership, kept our adult prices relatively low too.
  • Options
    In the Premier League the TV money allows for reductions in season ticket prices. In the Championship even with aggressively high prices for season tickets (and I am talking about setting the price for maximum revenue, ignoring numbers of fans in the ground and making it attractive to children & families) the clubs still run at a loss before they pay transfer fees etc.

Thus we are never going to be able to price ourselves as a much cheaper option to the Premier League as we need the ticket revenue more than the Premier League clubs do!
  • Options
    Read the full article of this, some cracking initiatives in there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24056430

• Options
    Not sure a pub lunch and a guest bartender would swing it for me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

So, you put in the price of a ticket and what you spend and it multiplies it by the number of games.

Basically.

The vast majority of my Charlton spend goes on away trains/tickets/beer in hell hole northern boozers. Figuring out that I spend £300 on my ST and £20 a game in the Lib is easy, figuring out the actual spend on "following my team" as the BBC calculator claims to do is going to take some thought !
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Basically.

The vast majority of my Charlton spend goes on away trains/tickets/beer in hell hole northern boozers. Figuring out that I spend £300 on my ST and £20 a game in the Lib is easy, figuring out the actual spend on "following my team" as the BBC calculator claims to do is going to take some thought !
    You can't put a cost on the psychological damage it does though.

• Options

They need to if they are ever going to have a chance to fill the Olympic stadium
  • Options
    Still £46 dearer than Barcelona though!! Roland out!
  • Options
    Very proud of those stats , it's impressive to see that our low ticket prices aren't having an effect on the transfers or future of the club aka debts
    Indeed hats off to RD and KM
  • Options
    "Based on last season's results and prices, a home goal cost about £14.29 at Charlton in 2013-14". Cheapest was Derby at £5 a goal - lets hope we get down to that level ;-)

• Options
    Feel very proud looking at that, especially as a lot of the clubs in and around london are still mugging people off (whoever paid £900 for their season ticket at fulham must be crying themselves to sleep)

As said above, well done to roland and katrien
  • Options
    I wish it would say how many of each cheapest ticket there were.
  • Options
    Whilst I very much support making football affordable for everyone, I do have concerns that being the cheapest in the country is not necessarily a good thing if it does not help the gates, makes it harder to be competitive on FFP and potentially tarnishes our "brand" ie we end up with reputation as "cheaper than Millwall, Bury, Carlisle, Crawley etc etc" rather than a place to go for good family entertainment/ good football. It is quite a complex subject...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hmmm you have a point Weegie - I was just happy to hear us get a mention on the BBC!
  • Options
    I can't believe how expensive some of the League One season tickets are, both cheapest and dearest, compared to Championship clubs.
  • Options
    Looking at these prices it is just mind blowing how much clubs want to take the piss out of the people they need.

£97 for a match day ticket at Arsenal is a disgrace. So much money for 1 trophy in 8 years.

£2.50 for a tea at Southampton aswell, who picked the bloody tea leaves for it to be priced that high?!

But what can be done?
  • Options
    Arsenal's cheapest season ticket is more expensive than 17 Prem clubs most expensive. That is outrageous.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    But some clubs, particularly those in the Premier League, point to packed-out stadiums as proof they have got pricing right.

What an absolute piss take that is. This isn't a justification. A lot of people love their team so much that they will go whatever the price but give up other things within their disposable income, which they shouldn't have to do.
  • Options
    Another kick for the Roland haters.
  • Options
    I'm surprised at City's cheapest price of £299, that's good value for them. Arsenal match day ticket is nearly as expensive as an A block season ticket???? MADNESS.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

I think where we differ is that we've always, even in the Premiership, kept our adult prices relatively low too.
    True, but was this from a genuine desire to make football affordable or because the club thought higher prices would not generate more money, as we couldn't sell enough tickets at a higher price?

Based on comments by a former employee, on the need to make more money, I'll guess the latter.
  • Options
    Well, I'm glad I don't support Palace. If you went with a mate to a Palace game, but then decided not to go inside the ground while your mate did and, further, asked your mate to put a pie and a cup of tea through the fence, it would cost you a whopping £6.20 - higher than anywhere else in the League. Clearly, if you are prone to changing your mind about seeing a game and want a pie and cuppa without seeing the game, you should support Charlton, which at £4.90 is a much better offer. Mind you, I am tempted to support Braintree Town at £3.00 for a pie and a cuppa.