Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC's Price of Football survey

Comments

• Options

Well, I'm glad I don't support Palace. If you went with a mate to a Palace game, but then decided not to go inside the ground while your mate did and, further, asked your mate to put a pie and a cup of tea through the fence, it would cost you a whopping £6.20 - higher than anywhere else in the League. Clearly, if you are prone to changing your mind about seeing a game and want a pie and cuppa without seeing the game, you should support Charlton, which at £4.90 is a much better offer. Mind you, I am tempted to support Braintree Town at £3.00 for a pie and a cuppa.

is that a sort of cunning oriental riddle?
  • Options
    It's not exactly fair though is it, this survey? Yes, Charlton have the cheapest season ticket available but I'd be interested to see the median price, because I doubt we're cheaper to watch than say, York for example.
  • Options
    I have a season ticket for one particular northern club, it cost me £305 for the full season. The BBC site quotes the cheapest season ticket at this club as £450 .. my rate is for those aged over 60, though I don't look it ((:>) .. the BBC needs to either get its facts right or to more accurately specify the parameters they have used to calculate prices
  • Options

I have a season ticket for one particular northern club, it cost me £305 for the full season. The BBC site quotes the cheapest season ticket at this club as £450 .. my rate is for those aged over 60, though I don't look it ((:>) .. the BBC needs to either get its facts right or to more accurately specify the parameters they have used to calculate prices

I believe they are adult prices.
  • Options
    It is a misleading survey though.
  • Options

agreed .. It seems from Ross's reply that s/t prices are based on those between 18 and 60/65? .. and what if you prefer a prawn sarnie or Waldorf salad to a horsemeat pie?
  • Options

agreed .. It seems from Ross's reply that s/t prices are based on those between 18 and 60/65? .. and what if you prefer a prawn sarnie or Waldorf salad to a horsemeat pie?
    I'd say don't go to the Valley.
  • Options
    I don't know about your home areas but comparing the cost of our visit to your place with other away games you come out pretty well!

We got charged £35 at Norwich and £32 for Ipswich in a few weeks..

Went to Exeter whilst down in Devon in August...and even for League Two it was £25-30!
  • Options

This is my point. You can't really compare one club to another using the BBC's methodology.
  • Options

I don't know about your home areas but comparing the cost of our visit to your place with other away games you come out pretty well!

We got charged £35 at Norwich and £32 for Ipswich in a few weeks..

Went to Exeter whilst down in Devon in August...and even for League Two it was £25-30!

Bloody hell...especially with regard to those Exeter prices!

Mind you....as a general point....how does £35 compare as a percentage of people's current weekly income with say Charlton's 1982 entry price of £2.50 against their 1982 weekly income. I've just worked it out for me and it's about the same!!! (so I've just shot myself in the foot because on the Fulham ticket thread, I've just said I won't pay £35!!)

Perhaps it's a getting older thing. My parents and grand-parents used to express surprise at how much I was paying for things back then....and now I'm doing the same!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They have the wrong price for Charlton on cheapest season ticket though don't they...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ^^^^ spot on .. Aimed at red Robin's last comment
  • Options
    However you look at the accuracy/reporting of the survey, this is the biggest piece of positive marketing the club could have wished for. Hopefully it will inspire a few people in London to come down more regularly.

My housemate is a sit-at-home Manchester United fan, and even he has text me today saying that he may even get himself a £150 season ticket as we only live in Maze Hill.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

However you look at the accuracy/reporting of the survey, this is the biggest piece of positive marketing the club could have wished for. Hopefully it will inspire a few people in London to come down more regularly.

My housemate is a sit-at-home Manchester United fan, and even he has text me today saying that he may even get himself a £150 season ticket as we only live in Maze Hill.

Although, they'd have to buy a season ticket to benefit as match-by-match, we are not the cheapest.
  • Options
    You're right about spreading the message Shirty. Last season our attendances dropped by 13%, this was worst bar three in the whole Football League: Tranmere -17%, Peterborough -22% and Coventry with a ground moving -77%. So far this season we've averaged 16,122, this is almost identical to last season's 16,129. I realise it's early days and that August attendances are usually lower than the rest, but when you consider that we are unbeaten in the league, playing better football and that there's been a fair bit of work done around the stadium, it is disappointing. We need to tell every good story we can to try and nudge people back to The Valley.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/documents/average-attendance549-2006711.pdf
  • Options
    At £4.50 that Kidderminster pie should be enough for a family of four's dinner.

Generally, why do we accept getting ripped off for usually inferior products just because we are the wrong side of a turnstile. Don't pay it!
  • Options
    The Kidderminster pie came up last year, apparently they are hand made gourmet pies or something and nothing like the slices of warm cardboard on offer elsewhere.

On the £15 match tickets - I thought that was matched against the A Block which is sold out. Are they available on the day?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

But some clubs, particularly those in the Premier League, point to packed-out stadiums as proof they have got pricing right.

What an absolute piss take that is. This isn't a justification. A lot of people love their team so much that they will go whatever the price but give up other things within their disposable income, which they shouldn't have to do.

This is exactly the point I picked up on when reading it. They must know that the love for your football team is in the blood, and if someone told me I'd have to find X amount to watch Charlton, I'd probably still do it (to a (silly) point). For them to say it is good pricing is ludicrous.

• Options

It's not exactly fair though is it, this survey? Yes, Charlton have the cheapest season ticket available but I'd be interested to see the median price, because I doubt we're cheaper to watch than say, York for example.

Statistics and damned lies. However what it does show is that Charlton can and do offer a supporter the chance of watching every single home game cheaper than anyone else. For some in these troubled times that might well be the difference between attending and not. Win for the supporter and the club in getting this money up front. That in my view is to be applauded.
  • Options
    Stig said:

You're right about spreading the message Shirty. Last season our attendances dropped by 13%, this was worst bar three in the whole Football League: Tranmere -17%, Peterborough -22% and Coventry with a ground moving -77%. So far this season we've averaged 16,122, this is almost identical to last season's 16,129. I realise it's early days and that August attendances are usually lower than the rest, but when you consider that we are unbeaten in the league, playing better football and that there's been a fair bit of work done around the stadium, it is disappointing. We need to tell every good story we can to try and nudge people back to The Valley.

Good point. I have a feeling that the hangover of the previous regime and the way RD started his may have put a few people off buying season tickets. I remember a few threads on here with comments saying we've lost 'our Charlton' etc. You would hope with the start we've made and the visible changes to the pitch, playing squad, we will get people back. A strong communications initiative would help though.
  • Options
    I was on BBC Radio Kent this morning talking about this, and while I did spend most time talking about the costs of pies and cups of tea (bit of levity and all that) I did make sure I mentioned that "my club Charlton" have the lowest season tickets in the country. Had to fess up that I didn't know that, nor where in the ground it was.
  • Options
    It's somewhat flawed though this survey, yes we have £150 season tickets but it's one block in the East Stand & those tickets have sold out - wonder how many calls the club have had this morning from people asking to buy one
  • Options
    Steady Matt, you'll have the A Block Ultra's down on you like a tone of bricks for not knowing where they hang out ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    rananegra said:

The Kidderminster pie came up last year, apparently they are hand made gourmet pies or something and nothing like the slices of warm cardboard on offer elsewhere.

On the £15 match tickets - I thought that was matched against the A Block which is sold out. Are they available on the day?

Yes, they are available on the day - but £15 isn't for A Block. It's for B Block and the bookends of the West Upper (also Family Stand if you have kids with you I think?). I've sat in K Block of WU twice at £15 so far this season. The view and atmosphere have been fantastic for the price.
  • Options
    Stig said:

But we need to compare like with like. Last season we had the football for a fiver (or £6 including donation) game vs Wigan which had a gate of c. 23,500.
    I think the first four games are up by 500 on last season but down by 1,500 on the year before.
    There was a real negative vibe last season plus price increases so it will take time to claw back the missing 1,500.
    I totally agree that better football and results and prices will help...I think staying in and around the top six and buying more players should do the trick in the spring - perhaps we will see a 20,000 crowd again at the Valley without promoting at a fiver. A club with a good away following and a top of the table clash might well give us a positive spike.

I take on board what posters say about pricing and FFP but to me the biggest income generators for CAFC are getting promoted even if followed by relegation and selling a top player for £5m - both of these events are game changers for different reasons - the gate money and TV deal just pays some of the bills and isn't likely to shift much...unless we have a cup run or reach the play-offs final.
    If either result in a Wembley appearance that's worth a few million and will galvanise the support for 2015-16 after too many years of not much.
    I think what I'm saying is that if cheap prices and good results add to the gate and atmosphere then that works for me even if some might pay more
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    As a frequent visitor to Kiddy's ground, the pies they quote are in fact Shepherd's pie with gravy. Fan tastic.
    link to photo here put out by the Kiddy Comms team

Edit - sorry Stig, technical probs - this is a worse pic without gravy...but you get the idea.
  • Options
    Sold out have they?