Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Loose (vs Lose)

Comments

• Options
    JaShea99 said:

I'm constantly wondering if the Internet has increased stupidity or just highlighted it.

I think it has just sped up the changes in language. Not sure if the internet doing that's good or bad but I am sure that a language that is dynamic and changing is better than one that is static.

Having said that I don't like this, it's not even as if the word is being shortened.

• Options

1StevieG said:

Definately annoying when Lose and Loose are not used correctly........

definitely annoying when definAtely is misspelt
    The number of times that this is now spelt as "defiantly" winds me up.

The trouble, I believe, is we've had a generation or two now who went through school without having spelling mistakes corrected. I used to see it all the time with my nephew's homework. I'd go through it with him, after it had been marked, to try and show him the errors.

Apparently, it was OK if the teacher understood what they meant! That, or the fact that the teacher was a clueless idiot at spelling and hadn't noticed!!

Have now re-read this three times to make sure I haven't spelt anything incorrectly!! ;-)
  • Options
    What about....."off my own bat" very often as "off my own back".....even on Radio 4....
  • Options
    Technology won't help. Autocorrecting happens before you even notice it now.
  • Options
    One I hate more than all others: people saying 'I could care less' when tone/context etc all suggest they are meant to be saying 'I couldn't care less'... It's one extra syllable but it means the complete opposite thing! It started I think with our friends in the US of A but it's getting everywhere.
  • Options

Noticed the increased use of "are" instead of "our" but it's nothing to get hung/hanged about : - )

I'll name that toon in won.

Even the band that recorded the song spelt their name wrong : - )
    JiMMy 85 said:

Hanged is the past tense for hang, as in an execution, right? But in reality, hung IS an acceptable past-tense of hang in that context. Like starting a sentence with BUT, it has wrongly been considered an error.

However, usage has always been that a piece of meat will be hung whereas a convicted murderer was "hanged by the neck until dead".

Up until the 1500s the common indication of a plural in English was "en" but it was then superseded by "s".

Quick quiz. Other than those words with "men" or "women" how many "en" plurals can you list?
  • Options

Noticed the increased use of "are" instead of "our" but it's nothing to get hung/hanged about : - )

JiMMy 85 said:

Hanged is the past tense for hang, as in an execution, right? But in reality, hung IS an acceptable past-tense of hang in that context. Like starting a sentence with BUT, it has wrongly been considered an error.

However, usage has always been that a piece of meat will be hung whereas a convicted murderer was "hanged by the neck until dead".

Up until the 1500s the common indication of a plural in English was "en" but it was then superseded by "s".

Quick quiz. Other than those words with "men" or "women" how many "en" plurals can you list?
    Ten
  • Options
    People who can't tell the difference between 'Bought' and 'Brought'.

I lent my neighbour my lawnmower - the next day he knocked on my door and said, "Thanks, I've bought your lawnmower back."

WTF?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I lent my neighbour my lawnmower - the next day he knocked on my door and said, "Thanks, I've bought your lawnmower back."

WTF?

Could of been worst - you might of borrowed it to him!!
  • Options
    One that gets my goat is when someone gives an opinion on something then says "I don't think" at the end of it. For example " arsenal will never win another trophy I don't think " Yeah u do think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JiMMy 85 said:

Oxen
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Talal said:

One that gets my goat is when someone gives an opinion on something then says "I don't think" at the end of it. For example " arsenal will never win another trophy I don't think " Yeah u do think.

not sure if this is the same but it's close to this poor attempt at wit/sarcasm that some people do. e.g - "arsenal will win another trophy, I don't think." it's just missing the last word "so". another one which seems American to me is "arsenal will win another trophy (pause for dramatic effect) NOT!"
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Oxen
    is one. Anymore? Their our too that r used commonly,like,
  • Options
    My bugbear is when questioned, someone will say i did'nt do nothing. This just implies that they have done something.
  • Options
    children
  • Options
    Macronate said:

children

Correct.

The other common one was originally a plural but is now used for the singular

Another rarer one is more likely to be heard from a Rastaman.

• Options

Macronate said:

children

Correct.

The other common one was originally a plural but is now used for the singular

Another rarer one is more likely to be heard from a Rastaman.

Ten is a plural ending in en, and I claim my £5!!!

• Options
    Henry, is I and I a plural?
  • Options
    What is a 'marquee' signing. A player to play in a tent? Is it anything to do with the word 'marque'?
  • Options

Henry, is I and I a plural?

Sort of and certainly more than "ten" is : - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

What is a 'marquee' signing. A player to play in a tent? Is it anything to do with the word 'marque'?

Marquee signing is correct. A marquee is a front of a theatre or cinema where you put the name of the play/film and the star so a marquee signing is a big name that will draw the punters in.
  • Options

Talal said:

not sure if this is the same but it's close to this poor attempt at wit/sarcasm that some people do. e.g - "arsenal will win another trophy, I don't think." it's just missing the last word "so". another one which seems American to me is "arsenal will win another trophy (pause for dramatic effect) NOT!"
    No I mean when people are serious about the comment. Hear it all the time.
  • Options
    brethren
  • Options

brethren

And you could have had Sistren.

the old plural for tree was "treen".

Chicken is also a plural. Chick was one bird and Chicken more than one.
  • Options

seth plum said:

Marquee signing is correct. A marquee is a front of a theatre or cinema where you put the name of the play/film and the star so a marquee signing is a big name that will draw the punters in.
    Fair enough, I didn't know that.

• Options

Oggy Red said:

WTF?

That'll learn ya.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

WTF?

Could have been worse - you might have ...........
  • Options

1StevieG said:

Definately annoying when Lose and Loose are not used correctly........

definitely annoying when definAtely is misspelt
    Misspelt on purpose due to the number of times I have seen it spelt incorrectly on CL. Sorry if I didn't make that clearer as I was trying to be a bit ironic!

• Options

Oggy Red said:

WTF?

I think the term to use here is ........ whoosh!!
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

WTF?

I think the term to use here is ........ whoosh!!

I think you'll find it is spelt whoooosh : - )