Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Loose (vs Lose)

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Being 'pacific' about something and 'arks' you a question get my goat. Me fear for quality of english speak
  • Options
    On match of the day Shearer gave a good example of my earlier point when talking about palace's sending off - "it's not an obvious goalscoring opportunity, I don't think".
    Wally.
  • Options
    Pretty much agree with most of these examples, so for the sake of my sanity, I'm now walking away from this thread.......................
  • Options

Pretty much agree with most of these examples, so for the sake of my sanity, I'm now walking away from this thread.......................

To much for you, is it Tango? :-)
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

It takes too to tango....

• Options
    Or maybe, tutu tango
  • Options
    et tu Tango
  • Options
    Your all two funny, I don't think......................
  • Options
    Favourites of mine are:

My old man 'borrowed' me a tenner.

That'll 'learn' ya!
  • Options
    Or maybe these are colloquialisms?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Saga Lout said:

It takes too to tango....

• Options
    Just seen this on Twitter:

big week in south london whos gonna take the bargaining rights home #cafc #mfc #southlondonderby #buzzing
  • Options
    Why is it that to 'think' something' means to be unsure, compared to 'knowing' something?

How do you know something without thinking it? That bothers me.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Why is it that to 'think' something' means to be unsure, compared to 'knowing' something?

Well you can go from thinking something to knowing if it turns out to be correct. But then if you think something and it turns out to be wrong, it turns out that you didn't know... but now do. I think. ;)
  • Options

That'll 'learn' ya!

I do use this in and ironic way quite regularly...
  • Options
    Semen? :-)

I loose it with people that can't spell

Aren't they called Muggles?

• Options
    My particular bete noir - cerstificate! WTF? It's a certificate.
  • Options
    JWADDICK said:

My particular bete noir - cerstificate! WTF? It's a certificate.

I've heard "sistificate" too, from more than one person.

• Options

People just don't know how to spell properly these days, that's the problem. The meanings of the two words, lose and loose haven't changed and are completely different.

Incidentally, Loose near Maidstone is pronounced lose (or loos) not loose - not relevant to the thread however!

Is Loos in Belgium pronounced like loose or Loose, or indeed some other way, that's what I want to know.
  • Options

Favourites of mine are:

My old man 'borrowed' me a tenner.

That'll 'learn' ya!

Or maybe these are colloquialisms?

That use of 'borrowed' is just incorrect, but 'learn ya' is frequently used ironically or sarcastically.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

The one that really annoys me is people going on about how they 'feel' something, when they mean they 'think' it.

"I feel we shouldn't be cutting disability benefit".

"I feel cutting funding for state schools so as to fund free schools is wrong".

"I feel we should be hanging the Chancellor of the Exchequer by his thumbs".

No you don't, you THINK that.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

The one that really annoys me is people going on about how they 'feel' something, when they mean they 'think' it.

I would say that you could think it or feel it, to be honest.
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

I would say that you could think it or feel it, to be honest.
    Those are perhaps examples where one could have an emotional response, so I take your point, but I still stand by original argument.