Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    If anyone is looking to upgrade I have my grubby mitts on a Canyon Aeroroad CF   2015
    Size Med
    Dura Ace

it's been given to me to try but it's a tad small.
    The seller is looking for £1500
  • Options
    If anyone is looking to upgrade I have my grubby mitts on a Canyon Aeroroad CF   2015
    Size Med
    Dura Ace

it's been given to me to try but it's a tad small.
    The seller is looking for £1500
    Cracking bit of kit for that price. The aeroad is a lovely bike
  • Options
    Upgrading my 17 year old road bike in few months. Trek Emonda sl5/6 carbon 105 disc or Bianchi Sprint Carbon 105 disc. Trek has life time warranty on frame. Bianchi has soul. Anyone any views on these bikes.
  • Options
    Treated myself to a nice bit of leisurewear
    Is it too late to ask where you got this from Baldy?
  • Options
    Treated myself to a nice bit of leisurewear
    Is it too late to ask where you got this from Baldy?
    Greenwich market
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Need to get back into it... Just really struggling to find the motivation, need to with the amount of food in piling away sitting at home! Following @Leroy Ambrose on Strava is my ultimate motivation. The guy is a bloody tank. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Need to get back into it... Just really struggling to find the motivation, need to with the amount of food in piling away sitting at home! Following @Leroy Ambrose on Strava is my ultimate motivation. The guy is a bloody tank. 
    Perfect time to get out now, the roads are nice and quiet.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Also the worst time ever to risk getting hurt.... Stupid but is in my head. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    True, i thought exactly the same this morning when i tried to catch a runaway horse. In a split second i thought getting hurt would be a stupid thing to do.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Huskaris said:
    True, i thought exactly the same this morning when i tried to catch a runaway horse. In a split second i thought getting hurt would be a stupid thing to do.
    Yeah, I have to admit, things that I would normally not think twice about doing (I certainly am not a cautious person) I am thinking about now, because even if the chance is very small, I don't want to be in a hospital right now, and I'm sure they don't want me there either! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:
    If you can afford it, cyclescheme perhaps. Get a touring bike.
    I have a Genesis Tour de Fer and it's great. I commute on it, long rides at the weekend, it's strong enough for what gravel bikes do and it takes a heavy load. Great all rounder.
    There are many fantastic tourers out there from £400 and up that do this.
    And at the back of your mind you know you could cycle round the world if you fancied it!
    I once had a Surly Cross Check which I’d recommend if you want something almost unbreakable. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    May not be able to do it for much longer, so ride while you can.  
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Huskaris said:
    May not be able to do it for much longer, so ride while you can.  
    Was saying the same thing to my fiancée given the current scare, still no interest from her though. 

I'll try wearing my sexy underpants tomorrow. 
  • Options
    Upgrading my 17 year old road bike in few months. Trek Emonda sl5/6 carbon 105 disc or Bianchi Sprint Carbon 105 disc. Trek has life time warranty on frame. Bianchi has soul. Anyone any views on these bikes.

I'd go for the Bianchi, just because they're gorgeous - but tbh, the Trek is probably a better bet. Soulless, but a better performer. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Who are you on there? Tank is about right at the moment - 6kg over race weight and sluggish as fuck 😂
  • Options
    I'm gutted at the moment, had entry for 3 crits and 1 Road race from the 21st of March through to the 30th of April but they've all been cancelled by bloody Corona!!! I expect British Cycling to extend their cancellation period beyond the 30th of April to, motivation has gone through the floor with nothing to train for. 

120+ hours of training for nothing ahhhhh!!! I mean I have achieved my best ever FTP and W per KG but it means nothing if I can't put some fools in da bin with my legs of power. 

Thankful that this is the largest of my problems however when others are facing much serious difficulties. 
  • Options
    I'm gutted at the moment, had entry for 3 crits and 1 Road race from the 21st of March through to the 30th of April but they've all been cancelled by bloody Corona!!! I expect British Cycling to extend their cancellation period beyond the 30th of April to, motivation has gone through the floor with nothing to train for. 

120+ hours of training for nothing ahhhhh!!! I mean I have achieved my best ever FTP and W per KG but it means nothing if I can't put some fools in da bin with my legs of power. 

Thankful that this is the largest of my problems however when others are facing much serious difficulties. 
    I've had seven road races and 14 crits cancelled - everything up to the end of April. Don't expect any of them to be rescheduled even if we're out of it by then (which we won't be). Pretty much written racing off this year completely - and I had the best winter I've ever had this year too. FTP up to 320, Peak power up to 1450, 1 minute up to 780, 30 second up to 900. Not sure I can face 12 more weeks on poxy Zwift 😢😢😢
  • Options
    @Leroy Ambrose - what about the 'virtual ride' online trainers, where they use video footage...like FulGaz and BigRingVR..?  Ever tried those?  I use TrainerRoad (as you know!), which I'm well bored , so am going to look at these...  Have just bought a Santa Cruz mtb and managed two rides round Bedgebury before it got closed this morning... Those two trips there have been excellent and a really good workout (well, after the first one, where I was more concentratng on just staying upright..)...was 'bombing' (by my standards) yesterday and bloomin loved it...really re-invigorated my love of cycling after so many years on a road bike... Maybe something to consider when the world gets back to normal?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Yeah, I've done BKool and fulgaz. They're both a bit pants - prefer zwift to either of them. My main problem with zwift is that racing on there should be a real motivator for me to keep up race fitness - but it just becomes a constant ballache trying to race when a huge number on there are cheats or on badly calibrated equipment - making it pointless chasing them. It's like being in a road race with pros - I'd last about 5km 😂

I'll never get an mtb - I run out of talent on a slightly technical crit, if I even looked at an mtb I'd fall off 

• Options
    Beginners intermediate route! Looks lethal! 

I upgraded my MTB to a Trek Procaliber 9.7 carbon 29 inch a couple of months ago. Never done any actual mountain biking but cycled along the canal path up to the Olympic Park last week to have a look at their road track and mountain bike trail. Didn’t actually go onto the mountain bike trail (costs £5 and I think I might need some basic lessons before I do) but it looks considerably less challenging than that Bedgely beginners run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-kg6uxDFZY
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have used this crisis to ramp up my miles. Going out virtually every lunch time and getting at least one longer ride in a week. 170 odd miles last week. Aiming for 200 this.

At present my big event for the year is still on - Isle of Man Lighthouse Challenge - given that it is not until July I am hoping it will happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I've had seven road races and 14 crits cancelled - everything up to the end of April. Don't expect any of them to be rescheduled even if we're out of it by then (which we won't be). Pretty much written racing off this year completely - and I had the best winter I've ever had this year too. FTP up to 320, Peak power up to 1450, 1 minute up to 780, 30 second up to 900. Not sure I can face 12 more weeks on poxy Zwift 😢😢😢
    Yeah same, I can't see this season going ahead, am just going to aim to be in the best position possible when racing starts back up again if thats in 2021 or whenever. 

Oooo big boy numbers, but most importantly, whats ya watts per KG? Mine is 3.94 at the moment. I'm 1 kg off race weight of 70 kg. 

My ftp is at 280, peak power is around 950, 1 min power of 620 and 30 secs of 700. I've never been a sprinter or had much of a 'snap' but am very pleased with those numbers as had been working on my sprints and acceleration over winter. 

Always been more of a breakaway artist or someone who loves a technical crit circuit, thats where I thrive. Which is great as the two places in LDN where I race most frequently are Hog Hill and Palace. 
  • Options
    • @Red_in_SE8 that video makes it look much harder than it is....kids going round on Halfords 'cheap' bikes and families going round too...you don't have to go as fast as he is (although I tried...). If you've got an mtb, thoroughly recommend it when it re-opens...  (just to reassure I'm most definitely a middle aged man who's on the way down rather than up...if I can do it, anyone can)
  • Options

Yeah same, I can't see this season going ahead, am just going to aim to be in the best position possible when racing starts back up again if thats in 2021 or whenever. 

Oooo big boy numbers, but most importantly, whats ya watts per KG? Mine is 3.94 at the moment. I'm 1 kg off race weight of 70 kg. 

My ftp is at 280, peak power is around 950, 1 min power of 620 and 30 secs of 700. I've never been a sprinter or had much of a 'snap' but am very pleased with those numbers as had been working on my sprints and acceleration over winter. 

Always been more of a breakaway artist or someone who loves a technical crit circuit, thats where I thrive. Which is great as the two places in LDN where I race most frequently are Hog Hill and Palace. 
    Fat boy numbers more like 😏. Race weight is 73, but currently bouncing around between 76 and 78 so 4.1-4.2 - but I'm only 5'8 (like I said, fat boy!). Doesn't make any difference though most of the races I do are flat, and w/kg doesn't mean anything on them. Having never ridden a bike until I was 39, technical crits are not my friend - my cornering is pretty shit. Can still bully my way round a 3/4, but get found out in a 2/3. Most of our racing up here is round crit circuits or shitty industrial estates with the odd halfway decent road circuit.

My main problem in races is not having enough of a snap to make the separation count in a break, and I spend too much time on the front bringing attacks back cos I've never got any teammates - and just sitting in for the bunch sprint is both soul destroyingly dull and a coin flip whether yiu get chopped in the last corner

Bet Palace is... 'fun' 😂 - looked like an absolute chopfest when I watched my mate race there a few years back... 
  • Options

Fat boy numbers more like 😏. Race weight is 73, but currently bouncing around between 76 and 78 so 4.1-4.2 - but I'm only 5'8 (like I said, fat boy!). Doesn't make any difference though most of the races I do are flat, and w/kg doesn't mean anything on them. Having never ridden a bike until I was 39, technical crits are not my friend - my cornering is pretty shit. Can still bully my way round a 3/4, but get found out in a 2/3. Most of our racing up here is round crit circuits or shitty industrial estates with the odd halfway decent road circuit.

My main problem in races is not having enough of a snap to make the separation count in a break, and I spend too much time on the front bringing attacks back cos I've never got any teammates - and just sitting in for the bunch sprint is both soul destroyingly dull and a coin flip whether yiu get chopped in the last corner

Bet Palace is... 'fun' 😂 - looked like an absolute chopfest when I watched my mate race there a few years back... 

Shitty industrial estates? Sounds like pimbo to me haha

I usually use my technical ability to make and stay away in a break, its the only way I've ever got any decent results and that came after a full winter season of CX which helped my bike handling abilities no end. 

Palace is honestly my favourite place to race, been racing there since I was 16 so am used to the 'choppy'ness of it, however by the last 5 laps most people have been dropped so its actually not that bad usually. 

• Options
    are you on strava @Addickted4life ?  Part of the CL group?
  • Options

Shitty industrial estates? Sounds like pimbo to me haha

I usually use my technical ability to make and stay away in a break, its the only way I've ever got any decent results and that came after a full winter season of CX which helped my bike handling abilities no end. 

Palace is honestly my favourite place to race, been racing there since I was 16 so am used to the 'choppy'ness of it, however by the last 5 laps most people have been dropped so its actually not that bad usually. 

PIMBOOOOOOO 😂

Only ever one winner at Pimbo... Pimbo! 

Also got Knowsley up the road where the Frank Morgan is held (even less inspiring, and completely flat - whereas at least Grimbo has that little drag each lap

Wheb I went to Palace I stood near dead man's corner - and predictably there was a crash 😏
  • Options
    are you on strava @Addickted4life ?  Part of the CL group?
    He is - top of the leaderboard this week so far  :)
  • Options
    cheers @Leroy Ambrose  and hello @Addickted4life - that's me that's just started following you!

Good to see @Clem_Snide up there too
  • Options
    cheers @Leroy Ambrose  and hello @Addickted4life - that's me that's just started following you!

Good to see @Clem_Snide up there too
    He had a big week last week