Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Finally, the weather is nice enough to go for a spin. 30 miles, although could have done without the mandatory face mask. Nice change from Zwift, apart from the potholes. 
    30-miles in one hour - 👍🏻Impressive
    No limits here. You can go as far as your legs will take you, as long as you wear a mask. 
    No limits here either (despite what some people think). No requirement to wear a mask either (personal preference - from what I've seen, about 1 in 5 are wearing one) 
    I thought I’d be good and wear one.  It looked like about 50/50, although mother further from Boston, the numbers dropped. Once I got to Lexington, virtually nobody was wearing as mask. I guess COVID doesn’t hit the burbs. 
    Probably sensible to wear one if you're riding round town, but nothing suggesting it's worth doing so if you're out in the countryside (unless someone is following behind and licking your saddle when you stop at lights 🤣) 

At least we haven't got the FREEDOMS! storming Altrincham Town Hall with semi automatic weapons though... 😬
  • Options
    Has anyone bought clothing from the likes of Joom, DH Gate etc? Finding that where I've been off exercise for a while due to injury a lot of my stuff seems to have shrunk ;) 

Could do with a couple of new jerseys but don't want to spend loads and only wear them a few times.

Would be interested to know of the quality standard on the cheaper stuff.
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Has anyone bought clothing from the likes of Joom, DH Gate etc? Finding that where I've been off exercise for a while due to injury a lot of my stuff seems to have shrunk ;) 

Could do with a couple of new jerseys but don't want to spend loads and only wear them a few times.

Would be interested to know of the quality standard on the cheaper stuff.
    I just brought some DhB stuff from wiggle which is in the right price range, plus there is always decent quality stuff in the sale 
  • Options
    I'm with @Rothko...I'm still wearing DHB bib shorts from 10 years ago or so....reasonable price and they last...if you're not bothered by brands etc, have a look at Decathlon too....I'm assuming that they have reasonably priced gear...
  • Options
    I'm with @Rothko...I'm still wearing DHB bib shorts from 10 years ago or so....reasonable price and they last...if you're not bothered by brands etc, have a look at Decathlon too....I'm assuming that they have reasonably priced gear...
    Decathlon stuff is very good in my experience.
  • Options
    iainment said:
    Decathlon stuff is very good in my experience.
    Most of my shorts and socks are Decathlon, just a shame they ain't open currently. I'm not massively fussed about brands in all honesty.
  • Options
    Yeah - good quality stuff is definitely better, but dhb is great value and won't fall apart the first time you wash it like a lot of cheap stuff. For bibs I'd always be a bit snobby about brands, but so much of it is the chamois and how it's stitches into them. I can't get on with Rapha or Assos, despite people raving about how good they are - I use Isadore bibs (they're a small company, not that well known and they're not that cheap but they're perfect for me). Let's just say my experience of Decathlon bibs is... 'not good' and leave it at that 😬. It matters far less for jerseys unless you're racing and you want something that looks good & is aero 
  • Options
    Morvelo stuff for me.
    Available at decent prices from Wiggle. I have to go up two sizes for the shorts though as the compression fit is too tight.
  • Options
    A plus one for Elliot from Cyclemoore here.

Just finished fitting two new front chain rings, new crank arms, new sprocket, new "bling" DMC chain and a full service on stupidly complex DT Swiss freehub. £75 and nice bloke to go with it.

With regard to clothes, my stupidly broad shoulders make jersey's a real nightmare. I actually buy 5xl from a Chinese and Australian seller on eBay. They do some really nice retro styles and the quality is good. Free postage and range from £22 to £30.

Shorts I always go premium with bibs. 4 pairs of Castelli - 3xl fit me perfectly and 4 pairs of Ale again, 3xl are perfect for me.

You can get loads of good online deals on premium kit these days.
  • Options
    I’ve got him coming round on Thursday to do a full service on then bike
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    I’ve got him coming round on Thursday to do a full service on then bike
    He asked where I had heard about his service and I said on here.

He mentioned that he was due to see you next week.
  • Options
    thinking of getting a bike for part of my commute ideally something cheapish pre owned most likely, would i be right in thinking a hybrid is my best option? am 6ft 1 so a large frame would be best? 
  • Options
    thinking of getting a bike for part of my commute ideally something cheapish pre owned most likely, would i be right in thinking a hybrid is my best option? am 6ft 1 so a large frame would be best? 
    Yes a hybrid would be ideal. How far are you going to be cycling each day?
    Also don’t forget helmet, locks, lights, panniers and cycling clothing (not Lycra).
    I have had several Specialized Sirrus bikes for commuting, they are excellent.
  • Options
    Yep - hybrid is a great shout to start with. Opens up more options than just the road as well, you can do paths and dirt roads too on it. Also don't need to spend a fortune on it if you decide its not for you after a while. Decathlon do great cheap hybrids - look for a 56 frame or possibly a 58 (though that may be a bit too big). Definitely don't forget a lock. Expect to spend about 60 quid on a decent lock - better still, spend an extra 30 quid and get a second lock (all about making your bike less of a target than others, two good locks will help) 
  • Options
    Thanks for advice, not far at all mainly from Victoria to Earl’s Court ( avoids the tube ), anyone know a good place to buy a pre owned? I’ve looked on eBay etc but really do not know what you are getting 
  • Options
    I wouldn't bother with a bike unless you want to get into cycling.
    It's only 4km from Victoria to Earls, i'd invest £150 in a quality pair of trainers and a small running backpack and walk. Saving the cost of a bike, locks etc. AND the stress of being a newbie cycling in London.
  • Options
    E scooter for you! 
  • Options
    Why not use a Santander cycle for this ?
  • Options
    Ride London cancelled. Was to be expected but this was the first time I got a place so I am disappointed.
  • Options
    I wouldn't bother with a bike unless you want to get into cycling.
    It's only 4km from Victoria to Earls, i'd invest £150 in a quality pair of trainers and a small running backpack and walk. Saving the cost of a bike, locks etc. AND the stress of being a newbie cycling in London.
    That's actually not a bad shout either. I used to run from Victoria to Oxford St and back before my knee gave out on my again and I ended up buying a bike. Not quite as nice a route to Earls Court, but only a little bit longer and definitely cheaper than buying a bike just for that journey. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Ride London cancelled. Was to be expected but this was the first time I got a place so I am disappointed.
    I deferred to 2021, so lucked out a bit on that 

• Options
    Rothko said:
    colthe3rd said:

Email says that they are taking the time to review the future of the format and that it is not possible to defer any places for next year. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Rothko said:
    colthe3rd said:

Email says that they are taking the time to review the future of the format and that it is not possible to defer any places for next year. 
    Oh, great, I deferred at the earlier date available. 

As an event it loses money, and TfL might not be in a position for one reason or another to underwrite the loses anymore
  • Options
    It won't happen again. Prudential are pulling out - the gammon brigade will see it as their chance to prevent it happening again by protesting about the outrageous inconvenience to them once a year, for eight hours, with 12 months notice. 
  • Options
    It won't happen again. Prudential are pulling out - the gammon brigade will see it as their chance to prevent it happening again by protesting about the outrageous inconvenience to them once a year, for eight hours, with 12 months notice. 
    Yeah feel you are right, been a number of growing rumours that this year's would be the last one, well I guess that was wrong.
  • Options
    Well I've done it twice, so can live with that, and thanks to Elliott at Cycle Moore, I'll be riding more again soon
  • Options
    My ride is due back from the menders last thing this afternoon, can’t wait to feel it rolling smoothly again. I’ve got a fat neck that needs sunburning....
  • Options
    Why not use a Santander cycle for this ?
    Very much this. I would 100% be Boris biking a commute of that length in central London, just so much easier
  • Options
    also wanted to use at weekends etc. 
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    My ride is due back from the menders last thing this afternoon, can’t wait to feel it rolling smoothly again. I’ve got a fat neck that needs sunburning....
    Todays burnt knees