Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Oooo look what we got. I can see a few coming togethers of cyclists and shoppers who think it’s an extension of the pavement
  • Options
    The Council put those in on Rochester Way a while back. About 6 months on around 50% were gone, most of the rest bent out of shape.
  • Options
    Just received an e.mail from British Cycling saying my membership is due for renewal in two weeks. I signed up last year specifically to get their third party liability coverage. Having read through the membership benefits listed on the e.mail, and specifically those relating to insurance, I can’t see details of third party liability coverage. I have sent them an e.mail but was wondering if anyone else is aware of changes to British Cyclings insurance coverage?
  • Options
    Site still states you are covered for third party claims - liability up to £15 million for all members (race gold, race silver, and ride). If they dropped this, there would be absolutely massive ructions.

You're obviously not covered for racing unless you are race gold or silver, but all other events (sportives, leisure riding and commuting) are covered under ride membership. 
  • Options
    Ah...ok..just realised it is a problem with my browser when clicking on the e.mail links. When I use my phone to view the e.mail and the links I can see the details about the third party coverage.
  • Options
    Ride out to Sheerness today. Saw one of those Militag CAFC cycling jerseys heading towards me as I came over the bridge onto Sheppey.

Sheppey is a nice place to ride, but arrived just in time for a massive rain storm to head in, so had to flee back to the mainland in a hurry.

Anyone who is in the market for a Gravel Bike, I am considering putting mine on the CL Market Place. It's a Genesis CDA 20. Cost £700 new, has just under 100 miles on the clock. Selling as I want a mountain bike. Will take £450 from a lifer.

It's suitable for anyone 5ft 9ins to 5ft 11ins/6ft
  • Options
    Cycling related stupidity.

I have used Pit Lock skewers for years. I’ve had problems recently getting my seatpost locked tight. Consequently my saddle would get lower after a few miles. I’d then hop off and tighten, go a few miles and - you get the picture.

So I popped into my local bike shop chatted to them about it and they looked at it and tightened it. They said if it happens again I might need a new collar for the seatpost.

D’oh, face slap etc. I had never figured to use a spanner to tighten it and always used a bar of some sort through the holes in the nut to tighten it. I had even, recently, looked on line for a special tool to tighten the nut.

Just goes to show that sometimes you can’t see the wood for the trees or that I’m really stupid about some stuff. Or both.

The bike shop has seemed to have fixed this.
  • Options
    Got Watford out the way today, only a 41mile round trip in the end, pretty nice getting there and they’re playing a behind closed doors friendly today as there were stewards preventing access to one side road, a posh coach and I could hear the refs whistle!
    Leyton Orient next.....
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Got Watford out the way today, only a 41mile round trip in the end, pretty nice getting there and they’re playing a behind closed doors friendly today as there were stewards preventing access to one side road, a posh coach and I could hear the refs whistle!
    Leyton Orient next.....
    I'll come out and wave when you go past Orient. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Leyton Orient next.....
    I'll come out and wave when you go past Orient. 
    I'll come out and wave when you go past Altrincham... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t go further north than Watford (well maybe Leavesden)....
  • Options
    Answers on a postcard please
  • Options
    Nice to let me know I'm likely to be chased by angry non cyclists.
  • Options
    I didn’t think you were on a bike, I thought you were just climbing over some cracked pipes
  • Options
    Got 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket from an insurance settlement. Ever so tempted by this: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervelo/Aspero-GRX-Disc-Gravel-Bike-2020/N3O4
  • Options
    Got 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket from an insurance settlement. Ever so tempted by this: https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cervelo/Aspero-GRX-Disc-Gravel-Bike-2020/N3O4
    I've been looking at getting a Gravel Bike for a little while too now Leroy , your choice is a bit over my budget though , been having a good look at this though https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/road/terra/cat/terra-m20-d-1x-20

• Options
    £2300 for a Shimano 105 groupset seems a bit pricey to me. I would want to see some Ultegra for that money.

Have a look on the Canyon website they have some excellent value bikes.
  • Options
    I read somewhere that today’s 105 is equivalent In performance terms to Ultegra from two years ago. I don’t think I would be able to notice the difference. And, isn’t it the case that the softer metals used on the Ultegra means a new cassette and chain after a couple thousand miles whereas the 105 would last maybe twice that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    £2300 for a Shimano 105 groupset seems a bit pricey to me. I would want to see some Ultegra for that money.

Have a look on the Canyon website they have some excellent value bikes.
    Standard Trek overpricing. You're paying a huge markup on the frame because of the name. This is obviously true for all 'name' manufacturers, but Trek take the piss more than most. 105 is still decent kit - my crit bike has mechanical 105 on it, still runs like a dream after multiple crashes in races with all sorts of choppers landing on it, banging it up in sprints etc. The Emonda is the only Trek frame I like. The Madone is ugly as fuck and the Domane looks like a beach cruiser. Needs a dropped rear triangle though - it looks like they're trying to get an aero shape out of a box of triangles someone shoved together randomly

Canyon are a bit hit and miss. I know a few people who were perfectly happy with their bikes, delivered on time, to spec etc. I also know a couple who had nothing but problems (including one bloke who sent it back three times because it wasn't right) - and it's a ballache dealing with shipping to and from Germany/Poland. Girlfriend's race bike is a Canyon Aeroad though and it's a lovely bit of kit, and looks the nuts with the Reynolds wheelset
  • Options
    I had been actually looking at the Emonda SL 5 for my next bike. What other options in that range are there?
  • Options
    Brisbane Road this morning, blimey that’s changed since I was last there for a game...no wonder old yellow-tooth was interested in the flats, there’s hundreds of them....

5 left to go....
  • Options
    @ The Hive this morning, think that’s the last one over thirty miles (return trip) as I’m definitely not including Sawfend as a London club....

probs Tottingham next......
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    @ The Hive this morning, think that’s the last one over thirty miles (return trip) as I’m definitely not including Sawfend as a London club....

After Barnet, I did trips to Wembley, White Hart Lane and today the Taxpayers Stadium....320 miles so far and just about a 25-mile round trip to The Valley to finish off...not sure how I’ll fill my time once that is done...
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:
    Fumbluff said:

After Barnet, I did trips to Wembley, White Hart Lane and today the Taxpayers Stadium....320 miles so far and just about a 25-mile round trip to The Valley to finish off...not sure how I’ll fill my time once that is done...
    Nice one! Go further afield? 
  • Options
    Or expand the sports, then you could do Twickenham, The Oval, Lords, Wimbledon, Etc.
  • Options
    With todays weather redtube is not a bad option.
  • Options
    just the ticket :) 
  • Options

I've been looking at getting a Gravel Bike for a little while too now Leroy , your choice is a bit over my budget though , been having a good look at this though https://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/road/terra/cat/terra-m20-d-1x-20

I’ve had my Terra for just over a year - it’s a 1x with SRAM Force. I’ve been really happy with it.