Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Solly's Injury

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Solly has had knee trouble for years. He’s already had 3-4 injections over the years (cortisone possibly). He has little cartilage left in his knee. He’s been told to rest it & will be out for 5-6 weeks.

The Solly situation didn't sound good. Gower mentioned Ledley King as an EXAMPLE after so many injections.

Gower didn't say he was crocked like Ledley, just that in the longer term .........

• Options

Signs a new four-year contract...get's career threatening knee injury and never plays again..it's the Charlton way....Gary Rowett, Richard Rufus...

I may have slightly overreacted here with exaggerated cynicism. Calm down!

He had the injury prior to the contract extension.
    Wasn't really my point.
  • Options
    I wish Chris well and hope his knees aren't as bad as is being reported.

Would be interesting to know if it is a hereditary problem or has been caused by injury or his joints being overused.

Chris has been at the Academy since, I think, the age of 9 and they do nearly all of their training on an old worn astro. That can't be good for their joints and their long term chances of staying fit. I know the Academy physios have reported to the heirarchy and complained of an increasing number of impact injuries and want the boys to train on grass more.
  • Options
    Would we really have given him a 4 year contract if there was serious doubt about his fitness ?
  • Options
    charltonbob - call me a sceptic, but my view is that the contract is for insurance purposes and Solly will have to quit playing in a year or so due to his arthritic knee. This will cover our losses from an originally anticipated transfer fee for a great player.
  • Options

charltonbob - call me a sceptic, but my view is that the contract is for insurance purposes and Solly will have to quit playing in a year or so due to his arthritic knee. This will cover our losses from an originally anticipated transfer fee for a great player.

That would be absolutely devastating, I really hope this isn't the case.
  • Options
    On the OS Powell says Solly is out for the foreseeable future. Doesn't sound promising.
  • Options

On the OS Powell says Solly is out for the foreseeable future. Doesn't sound promising.

Sounds serious although I think we've missed Yann and JJ more when they've been injured this season.
  • Options

Would we really have given him a 4 year contract if there was serious doubt about his fitness ?

Yes because if someone still decides to buy him we get a higher fee. If he stays with us ala Ledley king style then we still have a decent player, If he has to quit playing because of injury then club/personal insurance will cover it.

• Options

If you are clever enough to think this is the case, so will the claims people at the insurance company. A look at the medical records, a known pre-existing condition, very likely the claim would be denied or a much small proportion of Solly's value would be paid out.

But let's hope that this isn't going to happen anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yeah, like I said. He's likely to be out for another 5 weeks, as he's been told his knee needs complete rest.
  • Options
    That doesn't sound like the kind of problem that is just going to give up. Could have a case of the Ledley King Knee, sadly.
  • Options

Ha ha. I'm sure that if a bunch of know nothings on the Internet could work that one out the insurance company won't be paying out
  • Options
    The situation isn't as bad as Ledley Kings at the moment, King had no Cartilage at all. It must be something the club feel they can manage to offer him a 4 year deal. Perhaps there is some sort of operation he could have during the summer I'm not really sure how it works, but from this quote on Ledley King it sounds as though something could be done if there is cartilage in the knee which there is is Solly's case.

On Ledley King: "There's no cure. There's no cartilage, nothing to operate on. It's just bone on bone. So it's just a question of managing it. It swells up after games and it normally takes seven days to recover"
  • Options
    Ledley played on for years with it how in this world where you can build arms and legs powered by mind you can build and replace cartlidge is beyond me
  • Options

Ledley played on for years with it how in this world where you can build arms and legs powered by mind you can build and replace cartlidge is beyond me

I was just going to say, it was a nasty ass injury - but to be fair to King, he still captained Spurs for quite a time whilst suffering with the knee. It probably ruined his international career mind, and maybe even shaved a year or two off of his career as a whole. He was still playing in to his thirties though, albeit one match per week.

However, hopefully this is all irrelevant as Solly is fine! Surely he's too young to be suffering anything that serious with regards to cartilage?
  • Options

There already is a technique whereby meniscal implants made with collagen are inserted into the knee to allow the patients normal cells to grow into it. I have no idea as to the success rates. Ditto with meniscal transplants from donors. The major problem is that cartilage doesn't have many blood vessels in it and healing is thus much slower. The thing that bothers me is that Solly is the only one to get a new contract signed. Why is that I wonder?

Maybe the answers can be obtiained by asking Chris on Thursday ....................

Thursday 3rd October, Chris Solly and Joe Pigott will be holding a Questions and Answers Session during their visit to East Kent Addicks at The Kennington, Ulley Road, off Faversham Road, Ashford, Kent, TN24 9HX from 7.30pm.