Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Di Canio

Comments

• Options

Disappointed in Di Canio since he's been at Sunderland to be honest. Seemed to have changed his ruthless approach he had at Swindon to a more professional approach and it hasn't worked for him. Should've stuck to his guns and ignored the fans / media.

I disagree, he's done exactly the same as he did at Swindon, and it's failed miserably with a higher level of player.
  • Options
    Dowie .....
  • Options
    What's Michael Appleton up to theses days?
  • Options
    Yeah, come on everyone. The Appleton picture should be up within ten minutes of a sacking.
  • Options
    From Twitter

@RorySmithTimes: Di Canio will be disappointed, but in a way I bet he admires the swift, decisive action taken by an unaccountable totalitarian regime.
  • Options
    Thanks, Norfolk.
  • Options
    I'm more than happy with Powell.

But if Powell was to leave, Di Canio would be my first choice, followed by Poyet.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

I'm more than happy with Powell.

But if Powell was to leave, Di Canio would be my first choice, followed by Poyet.

Please, NO! Di Canio is a train wreck just waiting to happen.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

From Twitter

@RorySmithTimes: Di Canio will be disappointed, but in a way I bet he admires the swift, decisive action taken by an unaccountable totalitarian regime.

Nice one.

To be honest, I don't know quite what to think of him as a manager. But I would not want us to put it to the test.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The owner should sack himself too. Give a guy 20m to spend, let him sell arguably there best player in Sessignon, five games in, team yet to gel, sack the manager you appointed just 15 games ago. All bonkers. Now a new manager might have to work with a back room team that isn't his, players he might not want and in January will want money to spend to sort it out. Bonkers.
  • Options

The owner should sack himself too. Give a guy 20m to spend, let him sell arguably there best player in Sessignon, five games in, team yet to gel, sack the manager you appointed just 15 games ago. All bonkers. Now a new manager might have to work with a back room team that isn't his, players he might not want and in January will want money to spend to sort it out. Bonkers.

Agree completely.

Its like appointing Gordon Ramsay to run your restaurant and then sacking him when you find out he's been shouting and swearing at the staff.

Crazy decision.
  • Options
    He'll end up as manager at somewhere like Palermo or Sampdoria and won't return to these shores. Don't think he'd be a good choice for us, I'd take Di Matteo though if we were looking for a new manager.
  • Options

Crazy. I imagine there are some very happy Newcastle fans tonight
  • Options
    and sunderland fans ;-)
  • Options
    PDC lacks the ability to reason out what he says and does before doing it, in that way he is like a Millwall in a suit. The great managers use everything they say and do to inspire their team or to put the opposition off, PDC just rants. Passion is great when it is applied by a professional sane adult. Great player and man, but not a manager I would want near my club.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

From Twitter

A brilliant start to my morning.
  • Options
    Curbishley 14/1
  • Options
    Cheers Shirty , I never feel 100% comfortable until Curbs odds and a picture of Appleton is posted on any managerial vacancy thread on Charlton Life lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The new manager has a run of very easy home games to get him off and running. Next 6 home games:

Liverpool
    United
    Newcastle
    City
    Chelsea
    Spurs
  • Options
    The Sunderland Board must take the heat for appointing this clown. They were the only people that actually believerd PDC when he spruiked that he was ready to Manage in the Premier. EVERYONE knew that he's not a Manager in any League. At least the Board have got in relatively early, giving a proper Manager time to repair damage anf go forward.
  • Options
    Ridiculous decision to sack Di Canio, after signing as many players as he did it's obvious that it was going to take time to gel and 5 games is never going to be enough time to do that. I think it's refreshing that Di Canio believes that all players should have his enthusiasm for the game and why shouldn't they, they are PAID FOOTBALLERS. Pretty much most of us would love to be doing that for a living.
  • Options

enthusiasm for the game and why shouldn't they, they are PAID FOOTBALLERS. Pretty much most of us would love to be doing that for a living.

Player power won again..Sunderland players need to look at themselves./

They got Bruce and O'Neil sacked too.
  • Options
    I'm not sure what to think about Paulo di Canio. I agree that this episode has proved he's not a manager, anywhere, anytime soon. And the Sunderland board look ridiculous all round. But part of me says he could do something good in the game, here in England. I'm not quite sure what. I can't even bring myself to get too worked up about his "fascist" beliefs. I read his autobio,, which doesnt shed too much light on that part of him, and I just think he has the same views as, unfortunately, around 15% of all Italians. Basically, he's a bit mad. And because he's eloquent and extrovert, everyone knows it. But I also think of the good side; the time he caught the ball in play because of an injured player; His obvious passion to tell young players how lucky they are and stop them from pissing away their good fortune; his work and fitness ethic. It's all part of the complex mix. When he joined us, I really didn't know what to expect, but my overall impression was that he added something positive, they all thought he was nuts, but nobody had any big problem with him as far as I know. I even naively imagine that if he'd been with us a bit longer, he might have persuaded Scott Parker to stay. So no way do I want him as our manager, but maybe, if we are ever FAPL again, as Academy boss and some kind of players' mentor?

Not expecting everyone to agree. But I would miss him if he disappears from our game.
  • Options
    References to Sunderland's "board" are somewhat off the mark. Yes, they've got one, but all the shots are called by the Chairman, Ellis Short, who just happens to own 100% of the club.
  • Options
    kept them up last season , players should be ashamed of themselves
  • Options
    I also just discovered that he didn't identify and sign the summer signings himself. Some other Italian geezer did that, and di Canio had to then get on with moulding them into a team. No way to run a football club.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

I also just discovered that he didn't identify and sign the summer signings himself. Some other Italian geezer did that, and di Canio had to then get on with moulding them into a team. No way to run a football club.

Yes just said that on 5live but then a lot of clubs have a Director of football guy who scouts new players.

Agreed you have get a manager who wants to work like that.
  • Options

They've got a "Director of Football" who's responsible for player acquisition. Di Canio was not "Manager", he was "Head Coach".

The jolly old "European Model". Seems to work well, doesn't it?