Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Di Canio

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Depend on who you get I suppose - will probably work out for Spurs as they have brought in quality but Sunderland seem to have brought average players in to add to the already pretty ordinary squad at the SOL.

Will be pressure on the players now to perform otherwise they'll get more criticism.

• Options

I also just discovered that he didn't identify and sign the summer signings himself. Some other Italian geezer did that, and di Canio had to then get on with moulding them into a team. No way to run a football club.

Yes just said that on 5live but then a lot of clubs have a Director of football guy who scouts new players.

Agreed you have get a manager who wants to work like that.
    I suppose you guys have a Group Director of Football who works for all three clubs and then he just spreads the new signings around the three?

:-)

• Options
    MSE7 said:

Yeah I think he was. But then I think you should address the players first? board won't like it.

Hate it when I am right.lol

• Options
    Any pics of that"wave"? Are you sure it was a wave, not a ,you know, kind of, salute?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Can't understand some people (not referring indirectly to anyone on here) who say he's a bad manager.

Been in management for 2 years. In that time he pissed League 2 with Swindon and left them 3 points from the top of League 1 despite having to work with a transfer embargo and the disruption of a proposed takeover. He then had 8 games to keep Sunderland up and managed it.

Granted the start to this season was poor (it doesn't get much worse than losing to those silly Surrey wankers, does it?) but this was after only FIVE games. Ellis Short gave him the best part of £20m in the close season, to spend on players allegedly not all scouted by Di Canio. He's then expected to mould that into a team yielding instant results? Ridiculous.

I for one hope Sunderland go down now. In fact I think they probably will.

Sunderland players should have a good look at themselves in my opinion. People will criticise his style of man-management, but it seemed to be working fairly well at Swindon. Those same people will also say "yeah, but you can't treat Premier League players like that".

Isn't that the whole problem?

They're paid to do a job, and plainly, they weren't doing it. Player power (as everyone knows) at the top level is far too great, and this is ultimately what has cost Paolo his job. And nothing else.
  • Options
    PDC is way too confrontational to manage effectively - too much like Keane.
    Will always be at war with someone...
  • Options
    One of the reasons Di Canio did well at Swindon in League 2, was because he was allowed to spend more than any other club, which nearly resulted in their bankruptcy. These players were obviously more than good enough for League 1 as well and got them to the top of League 1.

He's also a bully & bully managers often get results in the short term, as "employees" cow tow. In the medium to longer term the "employees" start to break ranks, remember Leon Clarke & now the Sunderland players, who went "over his head" to the executive, resulting in his sacking.
  • Options
    Talksport interviewed Paul Benson yesterday on the drivetime show and he only had complimentary things to say about PDC, he couldn't have been nicer.

Sunderland players need to have a look at themselves
  • Options

The Sunderland Board must take the heat for appointing this clown. They were the only people that actually believerd PDC when he spruiked that he was ready to Manage in the Premier. EVERYONE knew that he's not a Manager in any League. At least the Board have got in relatively early, giving a proper Manager time to repair damage anf go forward.

I must have imagined PDC keeping Sunderland up last year
  • Options
    Stu, they would have stayed up anyway. All you guys out there......would you work for someone like PDC?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stu, they would have stayed up anyway. All you guys out there......would you work for someone like PDC?

i actually would but i can understand others wouldn't , his passion for the game is as high as mine and i'm a fussy critical prick and wouldn't be fussed if i was told my performance was shit and if i'd had the chance to play pro footy i'd have been totally committed to the cause
    but we're all different and i can understand how more sensitive souls could be easily offended and affected by this
  • Options
    I think that Sunderlands mistake was giving him a two year contract. get him in for the season, avoid relegation and then decide if he is the man for the future. Yes they would have seemed stupid if they had avoided relegation and then not given him a contract extension but they look silly now.
  • Options

Interesting question. Of course none of us have met him. But my impression is, I'd probably agree with oohaah, but I think he might also be the type who changes his mind quickly without a good rational logic behind it, and such people can be difficult to work for.

Like I said, I think he'd do a great job with youngsters

• Options
    Didn’t he get 7 points form 8 games last season? Hardly season saving heroics that no over manager could achieve! Curbs at West Ham the year we wen’t down is what you call a manager having an affect! The problem is his character. He is like he was as a player – a terrific player, but also one that wore his heart on his sleeve and pushed refs over!!!! With us, Curbs managed to channel him as a force for good, but he is somebody who needs to be managed, rather than somebody who should be managing. I think he certainly keeps his players on their toes, but it would be a total nightmare working for somebody so volatile.
  • Options
    He must be a good Manager because he shows passion on the sidelines. Powell could learn a lot from him, instead of standing motionless he could wave his arms about like a demented conductor. Am sure that would impress some Charlton supporters. He could also belittle his players in after match interviews, that would go down well.
  • Options

Can't understand some people (not referring indirectly to anyone on here) who say he's a bad manager.

Been in management for 2 years. In that time he pissed League 2 with Swindon and left them 3 points from the top of League 1 despite having to work with a transfer embargo and the disruption of a proposed takeover. He then had 8 games to keep Sunderland up and managed it.

Granted the start to this season was poor (it doesn't get much worse than losing to those silly Surrey wankers, does it?) but this was after only FIVE games. Ellis Short gave him the best part of £20m in the close season, to spend on players allegedly not all scouted by Di Canio. He's then expected to mould that into a team yielding instant results? Ridiculous.

Sunderland players should have a good look at themselves in my opinion. People will criticise his style of man-management, but it seemed to be working fairly well at Swindon. Those same people will also say "yeah, but you can't treat Premier League players like that".

They're paid to do a job, and plainly, they weren't doing it. Player power (as everyone knows) at the top level is far too great, and this is ultimately what has cost Paolo his job. And nothing else.

Agree 100%
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

He must be a good Manager because he shows passion on the sidelines. Powell could learn a lot from him, instead of standing motionless he could wave his arms about like a demented conductor. Am sure that would impress some Charlton supporters. He could also belittle his players in after match interviews, that would go down well.

Exactly and Alex Dyer could learn a thing or two
  • Options

If I can be frank, I think that's a bit naive. You can't manage different people the same way, you have to manage for the situation - both for individuals and for a team. Sunderland is no Swindon (just as Moyes is no doubt finding out Utd is no Everton).

We may not like player power, but Collymore on TalkSport yesterday made a very good point. You criticise John O'Shea in public, and at training on Monday the first words that are uttered are, "Did you see what the gaffer said about you?" Sowing seeds to lose the dressing room, which he's managed to achieve in record time. The players may have behaved badly, almost certainly, but if they don't respect their manager there's only one realistic solution.

As I understand it this is, however, all hugely complicated by the fact that he didn't get the players he asked for but those his Director of Football selected for him instead. If they don't have the qualities - both on and off pitch - that Di Canio wants for his team then it's fuel for the fire.

I'm with @PragueAddick on this. When Di Canio was at Charlton he was inspirational to the senior players, let alone the academy. I heard a story, naming no names, of a player leaving training singing his song. Di Canio did inspire his players with no little success at Swindon, although it also became more than a bit of a circus didn't it.

It really would be criminal to lose the positives for the negatives. Sadly I suspect Di Canio himself will have to resolve the latter before people see the former.
  • Options

One of the reasons Di Canio did well at Swindon in League 2, was because he was allowed to spend more than any other club, which nearly resulted in their bankruptcy. These players were obviously more than good enough for League 1 as well and got them to the top of League 1.

He's also a bully & bully managers often get results in the short term, as "employees" cow tow. In the medium to longer term the "employees" start to break ranks, remember Leon Clarke & now the Sunderland players, who went "over his head" to the executive, resulting in his sacking.

Not sure he's a bully. Suspect he suffers the same problems that great players did, like Glenn Hoddle when he was at Swindon - he couldn't understand why his players couldn't do the things he found simple. Di Canio is highly principled, fiery with passion. Throw in a perception of a shortfall in his players' professionalism when judged by his own standard, well you might have a powder keg right there.
  • Options
    PDC might well work better with an older/more experienced number two as back up, to do a bit of good cop/bad cop. There is no point asking him to try and relax, or dial the criticism down a notch - he probably couldn't even if he wanted to. But if you had someone there to make peace after the fireworks went off then maybe it would work out, and the players would be less antagonised.

Sadly it may be his fascist approach that prevents this happening - in the sense of a cult of personality, one leader unquestioned and infallible, all jumping to his tune. Which at the likes of Swindon may work, where no-one comes close to his experience, or talent, but with Premiership players they may well think, rightly or wrongly, PDC has not got the right to criticise them so strongly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bring him in to CAFC as "guest coach" ... It's the least they could do for the players after Saturday!
  • Options

Bring him in to CAFC as "guest coach" ... It's the least they could do for the players after Saturday!

I'm sure Chris Powell would agree to that. I mean according to PDC they are best mates.........;-)
  • Options
    A lot of the bottle merchants in their squad didn't like the extra training. Complete mess of a club, hope they go down now.
  • Options
    tbh he sounds like the kind of manager that would only do well at league one and two, maybe championship but never premier league. In L1+2 he's dealing with footballers that are earning roughly the same as a middle class person would be earning, but without any financial security afterwards. Many of these footballers dream of playing in the premier league but are just happy to be playing the sport they love for a living. They also don't have the same temptations as a millionaire footballer would have. Paul Benson was obviously a hard working guy and a professional, some thing that di canio was as a footballer, as well as having incredible flair. Di canio comes in and says "to get to the top you've gotta come in every day and work" which, to a league one/two footballer sounds plausable and they'd follow them. To a millionaire footballer that's already "made it" in their eyes and have financial security, they just dont need the bother of coming into work 9-5 every day. They'd rather hand in a transfer request and go play somewhere else where they'd have days off to play their games consoles and spend their money. Would be a great manager to play for if you were league one or two, but not if you're a spoilt premierleague millionaire.
  • Options
    So glad this dickhead has got what he deserved.
  • Options
    PDC hasn't got any passion. It's all acting. Any of you guys out there that are coaching/managing, or have in the past, will know exactly what I mean........it's all about PDC.
  • Options
    Just out of interest, how many of our fans thought he was a "dickhead" during his brief spell in SE7?
  • Options

Just out of interest, how many of our fans thought he was a "dickhead" during his brief spell in SE7?

Not me. I was really unsure before he arrived, but he convinced me. We played some of the best football I ever saw with him in the team. Parker-Jensen-diCanio, that gave the very best teams something to think about.

• Options
    edited September 2013

I also just discovered that he didn't identify and sign the summer signings himself. Some other Italian geezer did that, and di Canio had to then get on with moulding them into a team. No way to run a football club.

Yes just said that on 5live but then a lot of clubs have a Director of football guy who scouts new players.

Agreed you have get a manager who wants to work like that.
    I suppose you guys have a Group Director of Football who works for all three clubs and then he just spreads the new signings around the three?

:-)

The DoF football is Nani who was at West Ham but yes your probably right - they all work together.

Zola has linked with the post - cannot see him going that far north for now to a club in such a mess.

I think Sunderland will go for somebody out of work anyway..
  • Options
    Frankly he isnt management material in any profession ,

probably would be an entertaining Pundit