Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cold Light of Day

If I had been manager yesterday I would have said to the players in the dressing room after the game. We won't talk about the game now. We'll talk about monday morning at the training ground. If we try talking now we will say things we will later regret. A couple of nights sleep will give us the chance to think what we want to say. In that period of time we can think of something and then think thats not right. Then think of something else and think it's much better way of putting your point across. By monday we are in the cold light of day and there will less likely to be raised voices and bad language. By the cold light of day you can be much more constructive in your critism. Straight after the match the adrenlin is still pumping and its easier to shout, swear and say something you regret.

I won't dispute the fact that the lads did not peform to a level they are capable of reaching against Millwall. But they are still very honest lads. Instead of shouting and swearing at them it is much better to assess why they didn't reach those performance levels and why and how it went wrong. In that cold light of day you can say Player A you done this wrong and this how it should have been done. And Player B you done that wrong and that it shoulld have been wrong. And Player C you done the other wrong and it should done like this and like that. And so on and so on. Then you can work on the right things in practice.

A lot of things said by the fans in general are said on message boards are said when the adrenalin is still pumping very soon after the game and I notice a lot more constructive things are posted the next day or so after the match when things have slightly calmed down. Maybe it's an idea that message boards close for 24 hours after a match and then reopen then more constructive things could be said. Just a thought though.

But when it comes to the players sending them away and then discussing it later is a good idea.

Comments

• Options
    I would've torn them a new arsehole.
  • Options
    And sometimes what you say to them after the game may not always sink in....
  • Options
    Are you a Liberal?
  • Options
    I would have thrown cups, kicked boots and plugged in the hair drier. My obvious reference to Sir Alex is intentional. Do you imagine he would have tolerated that display followed by "let's sleep on it lads. I don't want to say something I might regret" I wanted some of those players to be in tears.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I would of walked straight past the dressing room and up into the nearest bar, where I would of got right royally pissed and tried to forget about the muppets stealing a living as professional footballers downstairs awaiting a bollocking...
  • Options
    Bollox to all that. I'd have locked them in the dressing room for an hour, let rip for 15 mins, then asked them all individually why they decided to leave what brain cells they had in the dressing room at 3 o'clock , and also had them all in for training this morning to watch the video. The rot has to stop now.

However if it was my team selection and game-plan that caused such a performance, then I'd have to be honest and take full responsibility.

The next team selection should provide the answer on what really happened.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I would've torn them a new arsehole.

Nicely put.
  • Options
    Or even at 12-15. (Stupid kick off time).
  • Options
    The first thing I would have told them was that they were to report to Sparrows Lane at 7am the next morning.
  • Options
    If it had been me they would have got both barrells. They would have been in for a "fitness" (run till they puke) session today as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds good on paper - asking them to go home to their 5 bed detached houses, lay low for a few days and to rest their pretty heads

However, I would have sent them straight out again to listen to the Millwall fans lapping it up & to take the abuse they deserved.

they were gutless & spineless and couldn't put one decent attacking move together over the whole 90 mins. My lads under 10 team could do better than that.
  • Options
    In the cold light of day the name of the game is passion,without passion you are also rans,live the game feel the passion [coyr] Ps can someone please pass this on to the squad or have cards printed that they can keep in their wallets.
  • Options

Sounds good on paper - asking them to go home to their 5 bed detached houses, lay low for a few days and to rest their pretty heads

However, I would have sent them straight out again to listen to the Millwall fans lapping it up & to take the abuse they deserved.

they were gutless & spineless and couldn't put one decent attacking move together over the whole 90 mins. My lads under 10 team could do better than that.

You obviously didn't go then, apart from Pritch having a poor game who else was so poor, gutless and spineless what rubbish
  • Options
    Vincent said:

You obviously didn't go then, apart from Pritch having a poor game who else was so poor, gutless and spineless what rubbish
    Do you genuinely believe we only had one poor player yesterday ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Vincent said:

name another
  • Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

name another
    Ok...

Stephens
    Jackson
    Church
    Hamer (mainly distribution issues)

I generally try to be positive but it's pushing the boundaries of reason and logic to say only one player had a poor game.
  • Options
    I'd add Wilson to that list aswell
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

name another
    Ok...

Stephens
    Jackson
    Church

I generally try to be positive but it's pushing the boundaries of reason and logic to say only one player had a poor game.
    I do not believe that any of the above was poor. Church IMO did the all he could considering he had Piggot up front with him. Jackson and Stephens tailed off in the second half but were far from poor and Hamer made a couple of good saves and was not to blame for the goal
  • Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

name another
    Ok...

Stephens
    Jackson
    Church

I do not believe that any of the above was poor. Church IMO did the all he could considering he had Piggot up front with him. Jackson and Stephens tailed off in the second half but were far from poor and Hamer made a couple of good saves and was not to blame for the goal
    Sounds like you might think Piggot might not have had a great game ? And I'd say "tailing off" when your team is 1-0 down to their rivals is pretty poor.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

name another
    Ok...

Stephens
    Jackson
    Church

Sounds like you might think Piggot might not have had a great game ? And I'd say "tailing off" when your team is 1-0 down to their rivals is pretty poor.
    Piggot is above criticism due to age debut etc I judge Jackson and Stephens over 90 minutes not the last twenty and sorry the worst performance was that of the manager
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

name another
    Ok...

Stephens
    Jackson
    Church

Piggot is above criticism due to age debut etc I judge Jackson and Stephens over 90 minutes not the last twenty and sorry the worst performance was that of the manager
    Yeah, he should've been tighter for their goal.
  • Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

name another
    Ok...

Stephens
    Jackson
    Church

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion but there's a player ratings thread with the opinions of hundreds of Addicks and you'll struggle to find many who don't give more than one sub 5/10 rating.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

name another
    Ok...

Stephens
    Jackson
    Church

Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion but there's a player ratings thread with the opinions of hundreds of Addicks and you'll struggle to find many who don't give more than one sub 5/10 rating.
    Sorry don't follow. I thought all three subs did well when they came on. Befoe the game all the supporters round me thought that Sorrdell should have started same with Stewart
  • Options
    Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

se9addick said:

Vincent said:

name another
    Ok...

Stephens
    Jackson
    Church

Sorry don't follow. I thought all three subs did well when they came on. Befoe the game all the supporters round me thought that Sorrdell should have started same with Stewart
    No "sub five" as in marked players less than five.
  • Options
    The Italians do this sort of thing with far more style

http://www.football-italia.net/39643/sampdoria-fans-blast-team

"We saw a group of cadavers wandering round the pitch"
  • Options
    Just my style of man management
  • Options
    In the cold light of day Chris Powell should put his hand up and say it was down to himself. He chose the team and he did not change it at half time when it was obvious that Pigott needed to come off and that Pritchard was having a nightmare of a game. He either changed the formation to take advantage of Millwall having 2 players on Pritchard or take him off and do something different. Instead he waited till there was less than 20 minutes to go before making the changes and it was too late as Millwall had all the confidence and Charlton had none.

Chris Powell needs to be more ruthless. decisive and flexible. It is pointless to carry on in a game hoping your original ideas and plan are going to come good despite the evidence to the contrary as was clear against Millwall. If he wants to continue with his first plan after half time in the belief it will come good, then it should be for only 10 or 15 minutes, unless of course he is right, and make changes then rather than later. On the showing so far this season he lacks the decisiveness to make early changes when necessary; he needs get his act together sooner rather than later.

• Options
    he made his first sub on 57 mins stewart on for wood ... the next two subs were on 72 mins
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Chris Powell needs to be more ruthless. decisive and flexible. It is pointless to carry on in a game hoping your original ideas and plan are going to come good despite the evidence to the contrary as was clear against Millwall.

He used all three subs yesterday, and as Oohaah said, they were pretty early on. He also used three different formations going from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 and then in the last 5 minutes 3-4-3 with a centre half playing centre forward. How on Earth could he have been more ruthless, decisive and flexible within the course of 90 minutes?
  • Options
    Taking Piggott out of the equation No-one in my opinion was worth anything above a 5/10 except perhaps Church who worked his nuts off with no service. Pritch and Stephens were the worst in my opinion.