Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope

Comments

• Options
    nick pope will be our first team number one next season in league one!! if we don't manage to stay up
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I may be wrong and it may be a coincidence.

But I believe York have gone from being relegation candidates to play off candidates, in the last couple of months, since he's been there.

At a guess from about 17th to 7th.
  • Options

I may be wrong and it may be a coincidence.

But I believe York have gone from being relegation candidates to play off candidates, in the last couple of months, since he's been there.

At a guess from about 17th to 7th.

You are correct. I've kept an eye on them and they've been on a great run

• Options
    Is he ready to step up if when Hamer leaves?
  • Options

I think so , I rate him very highly.
  • Options
    Yann897 said:

Wait for it...we're going to agree on something here...so do I. I'd have no worries of him being number one providing we had someone a bit more experienced on the bench.
  • Options

Yann897 said:

Wait for it...we're going to agree on something here...so do I. I'd have no worries of him being number one providing we had someone a bit more experienced on the bench.
    Please don't tell me Charlie Cairoli is returning. For those too young saying 'who?'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Cairoli
  • Options

Yann897 said:

I think we quite often agree with the youth players to be fair , at least it's something ;) lol.
  • Options
    Think it would be foolish to place so much on young shoulders. Huge step up from L2 to champ, he'll make a few mistakes, get punished due to the better standard and the crowd will get on his back.

Good luck to him and us if so but think it's too early
  • Options
    Addicted said:

Think it would beo foolish to place so much on young shoulders. Huge step up from L2 to champ, he'll make a few mistakes, get punished due to the better standard and the crowd will get on his back.

Diego Poyet...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Addicted said:

Think it would beo foolish to place so much on young shoulders. Huge step up from L2 to champ, he'll make a few mistakes, get punished due to the better standard and the crowd will get on his back.

Diego Poyet...
    Goalkeepers and Strikers will always be under more pressure from the fans though because people see those two jobs as being so simple.

As a Goalkeeper your job is to stop the ball going into the net... As with Joe Hart earlier in the season if your conceding goals then people will Question whether you should be the man between the sticks (Yet in truth a Goalkeeper is just another player in the Defence, if the Goalkeeper concedes the whole back line should be questioned)

As a Striker your job is score the goals... If you cant score then the fans dont think you should be on the pitch either (Yet of course, a Striker is only going to be good as the service that he receives)
  • Options
    I will be very happy to see Pope on a 3 year contract. I have never quite been able to trust Hamer as our number one, and with our obvious determination to put our faith in grooming youngsters, Pope and Phillips look a good bet to me.
  • Options
    I don't trust horses. They have their shoes on permanently. Who makes that kind of emotional commitment to a shoe?
  • Options
    Granpa said:

I will be very happy to see Pope on a 3 year contract. I have never quite been able to trust Hamer as our number one, and with our obvious determination to put our faith in grooming youngsters, Pope and Phillips look a good bet to me.

I think he signed a 3-year contract last summer.

• Options
    Nick Pope could cut it in the Championship BUT, goalkeeping is a relentless job when it's not going so well, a few bad days at the office when he starts in the nets for us and it could totally shatter the confidence he's built up. He still need's more time to learn his trade but don't think we'll give him that. He looks very assured but struggled for York when Fleetwood strikers blocked him at corners, good shot stopper and very strongly voiced
  • Options
    Pope just made a top save that was heading bottom corner.
  • Options
    Cracking save... Was sure that was in, has had a very quiet game too

More than happy for him to be our No.1 next season after that
  • Options
    Playing a blinder. As covered end junior said, made an absolutely quality save just now.
  • Options

Pope just made a top save that was heading bottom corner.

Was a great save, he's caught the ball well from crosses aswell .
  • Options
    Lol I chose the wrong thread clearly. Top top save.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just stopped a one-on-one as well... Gonna be a good Goalkeeper this lad
  • Options
    Single handedly has kept them in the game, just won a one on one and made it look easy. Distribution leaves a bit to be desired though.
  • Options
    Bad luck Nick, played a goodun
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Single handedly has kept them in the game, just won a one on one and made it look easy. Distribution leaves a bit to be desired though.

So did Deano's, great keeper though :-) we've been spoilt with Hamer's above average kicking from hand or pass backs.
  • Options
    They'd have lost that second half 2-0 if it wasn't for Pope. Decent enough defence and Russell Penn is a decent L2 player as well but they have NOTHING up front.
  • Options
    Almost scored a header from a corner in stoppage time as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

They'd have lost that second half 2-0 if it wasn't for Pope. Decent enough defence and Russell Penn is a decent L2 player as well but they have NOTHING up front.

So many balls were being lumped into the box I was amazed that one of their players didnt just take a risk and stick their head in there

But with an ex-Crystal Palace Striker up front (Calvin Andrew) what do you expect

P.S. Credit to the Fleetwood players... (Wanted York to win because of Nick Pope etc...) but the players are still out on the pitch with the fans taking photos etc...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I have a feeling he will be in nets 1st day of the season.

If it goes well for him we are then sitting on a valuable asset.

Its a gamble on Pope. We need to sign a 2nd keeper from the English league as a hedge, not from overseas. Of all the positions that need a different skill set to the Continental game, keeper is the stand out. From Davide de Gea to our french sunday league joker, the adjustment needed is massive. TBH, Alnwick would have been perfect. Need an experienced guy who can handle not being automatic first choice to a 22 year old. That might not be easy.

Personally I think he will be about ok in the Champs next season. But he will have to make his mistakes on the job. If that can be managed correctly then in 18 months time IMO he will be class at this level.

Lots could go wrong though, so we need a back up of a more experienced keeper. Pope himself will benefit from being pushed. But I cant see RD turning down a 50/50 chance of a 3M value keeper in 18 months time...sign some fooking defenders then so he isnt over exposed!
  • Options
    Just made the showboat clips on Soccer AM for dribbling it round an on rushing forward in the 1st leg Play Off semi v Fleetwood.