Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nick Pope

Comments

• Options
    So great to have this kind of info.

100% agree with the "he needs to start" view.

give him 15 games. If things arent working then he can go on loan to league 1. I also agree, at 22, he doesnt need a season on League 1 given the make up of his game. He is not flash, he is safe hands

I have watched as much of York as I can bear this season.
    .thank fook I do t have to do that anymore ;)
  • Options
    Nick Pope was bid a fond farewell by York City boss Nigel Worthington following his final appearance for the club.

The on-loan Charlton goalkeeper will return to The Valley next season, where he is expected to now challenge for the Championship club’s number one shirt with Ben Hamer and Yohann Thuram-Ulien.Pope was excellent again during last night’s 0-0 Sky Bet League Two play-off semi-final draw at Fleetwood that saw the hosts cling on for a 1-0 aggregate triumph.

But Worthington admitted that he will be looking elsewhere this summer for competition to contracted former, first-choice Michael Ingham.

“Since coming in, Popey has taken pressure off the back four. He settled in straight away and has loved living in York and being at the football club.

“That’s a big thing for a young lad so far from home and he’s done fantastically well. I will certainly be watching his career with interest in the future.

“It will be no surprise to me if he goes back to Charlton and gets in their team.” Worthington said.
  • Options
    Dean Kiley played nearly as many games for York City as he did for Charlton. I have no idea if it is a good omen, but it is an omen nevertheless.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Dean Kiley played nearly as many games for York City as he did for Charlton. I have no idea if it is a good omen, but it is an omen nevertheless.

Sam Bartram also guested for the Minstermen during the War and later managed them. They say good things happen in threes.

• Options
    I always thought we should have signed Kiely before he went to Bury.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Another omen; two former great Charlton goalkeepers Sam Bartram and Charlie Wright went on to manage York City.

• Options
    edited May 2014

I have a feeling he will be in nets 1st day of the season.

If it goes well for him we are then sitting on a valuable asset.

Its a gamble on Pope. We need to sign a 2nd keeper from the English league as a hedge, not from overseas. Of all the positions that need a different skill set to the Continental game, keeper is the stand out. From Davide de Gea to our french sunday league joker, the adjustment needed is massive. TBH, Alnwick would have been perfect. Need an experienced guy who can handle not being automatic first choice to a 22 year old. That might not be easy.

Personally I think he will be about ok in the Champs next season. But he will have to make his mistakes on the job. If that can be managed correctly then in 18 months time IMO he will be class at this level.

Lots could go wrong though, so we need a back up of a more experienced keeper. Pope himself will benefit from being pushed. But I cant see RD turning down a 50/50 chance of a 3M value keeper in 18 months time...sign some fooking defenders then so he isnt over exposed!

Well done as I think you've called this 100% right and this would solve one of the four contract extension questions.
    Why (and how much) would Duchatelet compete with Leicester for Hamers signature if Pope is that good and on a long term deal.
    Some will moan but that's another few hundred thousand saved on wages / available for other signings.
    Perhaps Thuram is available as back up but he and the fans might not be happy with that.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Oh and you've nailed one possible theory about Duchatelet. He may have lowered ticket prices to get more fans in for the same money but he wants to close the gap on losses by selling players for £3-5m and not 500k.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

He also played for Bury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Kiley played for Bury FC and Pope for Bury Town in Bury St Edmonds
  • Options
    If pope is to start then we'd need an old head - someone like Steve Harper or Mark Schwarzer waiting in the wings. Someone who can keep him on his toes but will also be satisfied bench warming

Haven't seen a lot of pope but when I have he's looked excellent. Not flashy and won't make hollywood saves but does the basics very well
  • Options
    As much as I hope Hamer signs a new contract, Pope waiting in the wings means it's the least of my worries regarding our out of contract players................
  • Options
    Good lad
  • Options
    That's a very good tweet from NP. No sign of arrogance or indifference. Good lad.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

If pope is to start then we'd need an old head - someone like Steve Harper or Mark Schwarzer waiting in the wings. Someone who can keep him on his toes but will also be satisfied bench warming

Haven't seen a lot of pope but when I have he's looked excellent. Not flashy and won't make hollywood saves but does the basics very well

That save the other night was pretty Hollywood. It would be very concerning if he was making Hollywood saves all the time as that would mean his positioning would be way off. A key attribute for keepers is being in the right place at the right time regularly which pope does seem to be able to do.

Excited about this lad
  • Options
    That tweet is far too well written for it to come from a footballer! Lol.
  • Options

No it's not, he missed out the apostrophe in "future's".
  • Options

I thought the police hours of duty were from 6 until 2, 2 until 10 and 10 until 6 ? You were working at 6.46 this morning, doing plenty of overtime I see :-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2014
    RedChaser said:

I thought the police hours of duty were from 6 until 2, 2 until 10 and 10 until 6 ? You were working at 6.46 this morning, doing plenty of overtime I see :-0
    The forces of eternal vigilance are ever on watch. Seriously, I'm recovering from surgery so sleep's a bit erratic.

Also, I don't do text speak, and hope it comes across when I'm being whimsical, but if it helps, think of there being a 'lol' at the end of my 2.58pm post.
  • Options
    Ah, 'Je comprends' you can always use one of these :-) you know. Not sure spending recuperation time on here is what the doctor ordered with all the doom and gloom regarding RD and next year's squad but get well soon fellow Addick.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Ah, 'Je comprends' you can always use one of these :-) you know. Not sure spending recuperation time on here is what the doctor ordered with all the doom and gloom regarding RD and next year's squad but get well soon fellow Addick.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Re the smiley, I try to hold to the principal that if someone can't work out that what I've said was meant to be a joke, I've not said it very well. Hence my dislike of 'lol' peppered through people's texts, posts, etc. It's even worse when they put 'lol' on something that wasn't even meant to be funny, e.g. "I just burnt my ear answering the 'phone whilst ironing lol". Actually, I'd pay to see someone do that, so maybe it is funny.
  • Options
    *RuPaul voice*

Don't fuck up
  • Options
    I think we need to bump another nick pope thread
  • Options
    Just made a great save Vs Benteke
  • Options
    Great goal keeping second half... How did they not equalise.
  • Options
    Good boy Popey. Prem debut out of the way now. All the best.
  • Options
    Katrien right again, another premier player.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Just got himself suspended for the Carling Cup Final....... poor fella  :'(