Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Bentley

Comments

• Options
    even though burch is small will that is funny and top man
  • Options
    He's a slightly better version of Danny Green, same attributes but a little bit better.
  • Options
    Been stealing a living for years.
    There's a reason he doesn't have a club, because he ain't the player he was!
  • Options
    I will be extremely surprised if we signed this fella, his wages for our budget are probably astronomical, will probably end up at Burnley, Birmingham or Millwall.
  • Options

My view of him socially carts if different coming from cheshunt I saw him out and about reg and he was a prick

Benefit of doubt as we were all younger then so it was a lot of money and bravado

Like you say he's older now, he's nearly 30 so has probably changed his attitude a fair bit. He was prepared to go to Russia (who the f*ck are Rostov?) just to get some games so he must be desperate to play.

Shocked he couldn't pass a trial at Leeds though.
  • Options
    Massive waste of talent
  • Options
    tmuch money and expectations at a young age. I have always been critical of Bentley but fair do's if your'e heart is not in it, you're heart is not in it. It has probablly not been there for the last 10 years. I have only caught a clip from his interview but he dd seems a bit down on the way football is at the moment
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

tmuch money and expectations at a young age. I have always been critical of Bentley but fair do's if your'e heart is not in it, you're heart is not in it. It has probablly not been there for the last 10 years. I have only caught a clip from his interview but he dd seems a bit down on the way football is at the moment

He has taken cheques we could only dream of, have less than zero sympathy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2014
    totally agree with you falconwood, everybody was saying he was the new Beckham. In all honesty he was never even the same class as him an was never likely to be, he also turned down offers of loans to several clubs as he was "too good for them"
  • Options
    Fallen out of love with football? Nobody wanting to put their hands in their pocket for what he is demanding is more like it imho. Set up for life anyway. No miss to anybody.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Good for him. There's no doubt he could still be making thousands for, let's face it, about 10 hours work per week. But he's decided not to.

His comments sound like he's been battling depression and has decided to not follow the money and make a positive change. Should be praised.

There's definitely a culture among us football fans to think that, just because someone has all the money in the world, they should have all the happiness too. Anyone with a modicum of a clue about life will tell you that's rarely the case.

Well done David.

I make you right Chunes, in fact all the money could conceivably make it worse when you think how little sympathy or even true friendship (as opposed to hangers-on) it could cost you. I don't think Bentley is a shining example of human grace and virtue but walking out on football and trying to find another way is commendable enough to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Got my back up when he was 'too tired' to play for England under 21's. Having represented England in my own sport, I always feel it should be the high of any sportsman. Saying that, he sounded sincere and emotional today when calling time on his career. Enjoy your money son... But I suspect he'll be back in 6 months
  • Options
    Curbs was right, he really is a baby Bentley.
  • Options
    More like a Morris Minor
  • Options
    Not good enough for Leeds, so not good enough for us
  • Options
    Shame, very talented man and not the stereotypical arsehole footballer.

Big of him to come out and speak as I'm certain he could have just quietly drifted away.

Like I said before I've met him a couple of times and is a decent bloke. If you listen back to some of his soundbites he speaks well and is an ordinary young man in a fairly inordinately situation. If depression is involved I wish him the very best. Nasty, misunderstood illness that
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jimmy Bullard said in his book - and if it's coming from him this really is saying something! - that Bentley was a complete nutter.

Said he would go straight up to Fabio Capello during England camps and just start taking the piss out of him to his face - he just did not give a f--k about anyone.

I think it's more of a case that he can't get a club that will pay him anything like he would get out of bed for so is chucking it in.
  • Options
    Seeing him Friday at his Beach Bar in Marbella. Unpleasant individual.
  • Options
    masicat said:

Try not to hit him.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

masicat said:

Try not to hit him.
    Jesus !! You must have something else to do.
  • Options
    Yeah, he's that much outta of love with the game that he's currently taking a cheque off Sky Sports to give his opinion on the World Cup.

Why are these no-marks constantly being given airtime?

• Options
    His goal scoring record is akin to Simon Church so no thanks
  • Options
    ramy said:

His goal scoring record is akin to Simon Church so no thanks

I am confused first reason is because you say not thanks, we are not looking to sign him he has retired so why no thanks
    2nd reason you are comparing goalscoring records of a injury prone Right Mid to a forward
  • Options
    Just read this interview with him. Has come in for a bit of stick in his time but i find this interview quite honest. Interesting comments on this thread compared to the Sterling one as well.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/former-england-star-quit-football-to-run-restaurant-092346913.html

• Options

Just read this interview with him. Has come in for a bit of stick in his time but i find this interview quite honest. Interesting comments on this thread compared to the Sterling one as well.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/former-england-star-quit-football-to-run-restaurant-092346913.html

Fascinating piece, I have read a few pieces on Bentley and he always comes across well.

I think many people get caught up in thinking that all footballers love playing football - to some of them it's just something they happen to be good at.
  • Options

Fascinating piece, I have read a few pieces on Bentley and he always comes across well.

I think many people get caught up in thinking that all footballers love playing football - to some of them it's just something they happen to be good at.
    But think of the thousands, even millions, who are not good enough but would like to be.

I guess it part of the human condition to want what you cannot have.