Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

David Bentley

13»

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Just read this interview with him. Has come in for a bit of stick in his time but i find this interview quite honest. Interesting comments on this thread compared to the Sterling one as well.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/former-england-star-quit-football-to-run-restaurant-092346913.html

Fascinating piece, I have read a few pieces on Bentley and he always comes across well.

I think many people get caught up in thinking that all footballers love playing football - to some of them it's just something they happen to be good at.
    But think of the thousands, even millions, who are not good enough but would like to be.

I guess it part of the human condition to want what you cannot have.
    but that just adds to the self loathing if you're in a job that millions would love to be in, but you really hate it. Imagine that playing on your mind and the guilt of every day.

It's like Michael Johnson, too much hype was put on them too soon. I can see sterling going the same way.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Just read this interview with him. Has come in for a bit of stick in his time but i find this interview quite honest. Interesting comments on this thread compared to the Sterling one as well.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/former-england-star-quit-football-to-run-restaurant-092346913.html

Fascinating piece, I have read a few pieces on Bentley and he always comes across well.

I think many people get caught up in thinking that all footballers love playing football - to some of them it's just something they happen to be good at.
    But think of the thousands, even millions, who are not good enough but would like to be.

The point is that Bentley was an exceptional footballer - and yet hated being a pro footballer and all that it entailed, his comments about junior football are telling.

I knew a pro footballer who I went to school with who was very similar, even while playing in the Premier League he had no interest in watching any other football at all.

It's hard for us sports lovers to accept but it's perfectly possible for exceptional sportsmen to actually have little interest in their chosen sport.

I was actually in the company of a former first class Cricketer last weekend at my kids training session who told me that he "hated" watching Cricket and would rather be fishing - now that's saying something!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Comes across as intelligent and thoughtful, good luck to him, but is he any good at cooking?
  • Options

LenGlover said:

The point is that Bentley was an exceptional footballer - and yet hated being a pro footballer and all that it entailed, his comments about junior football are telling.

I knew a pro footballer who I went to school with who was very similar, even while playing in the Premier League he had no interest in watching any other football at all.

It's hard for us sports lovers to accept but it's perfectly possible for exceptional sportsmen to actually have little interest in their chosen sport.

I was actually in the company of a former first class Cricketer last weekend at my kids training session who told me that he "hated" watching Cricket and would rather be fishing - now that's saying something!
    Was this when you was a boxer or playing Rugby league?

• Options
    I'd rather be fisting too
  • Options
    There's a podcast featuring Jimmy Bullard and he tells a couple of stories about Bentley - verifiable nutcase but funny stories tbf
  • Options
    My Spurs mate described him as the most one paced player he'd ever seen, pretty accurate IMO. The media gave him a sympathy vote for years as supposedly he stood no chance at Arsenal as he was English; probably more accurate to say he was no Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, or Ljuenberg etc.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Swisdom said:

There's a podcast featuring Jimmy Bullard and he tells a couple of stories about Bentley - verifiable nutcase but funny stories tbf

'The Magic Sponge'. Funny podcast.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

'The Magic Sponge'. Funny podcast.
    I thought we'd agreed to stop picking on Churchy :-)
  • Options

The former Spurs player lined out at centre-forward for Crossmaglen in a challenge against Silverbridge as part of a TV documentary 'The Toughtest Trade' which sees him swap places with Aaron Kernan.
  • Sponsored links: