Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2022 World Cup

Comments

• I don't think anyone will be at all surprised to hear the latest news that a top FIFA official was paid over $1m by a Qatari firm in the weeks just after they were awarded the world cup.

And that this has only come to light because Warner had to process the money through one of his American bank accounts (thus alerting the FBI) as the Cayman Islands didn't want to touch it as they suspected it was too dodgy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10704290/Qatar-World-Cup-2022-investigation-former-Fifa-vice-president-Jack-Warner-and-family-paid-millions.html

Now that is what is meant by dodgy money.

As Rose and Crown mentioned above, seeing as FIFA rely on big sponsorship deals and TV revenues for World Cups etc. I've not understood how the bigger footballing nations haven't thought about breaking away. An invitation open to anyone who wants to join but led by most of the major UEFA nations plus Brazil and Argentina. That's where the money is in world football anyway and they're the only nations with a realistic chance of winning anything. However, like I said, open to anyone who wants to join. Or maybe further down the line it would end up being equally as corrupt.
  • edited June 2019
    Platini has been arrested by police and is subject to an investigation into awarding the World Cup to Qatar
  • edited June 2019
    The starting point is that everybody who voted for Qatar will have been bribed to - that is basic common sense. The issue is then proving what you know, but it helps the police when they do know.

If it looks like a turd and smells like a turd, that is what it almost certainly is!
  • edited June 2019
    So where’s the World Cup gonna go? Qatar can neither practically host it as it’s all a shitshow at the moment nor ethically.

I can see a Euros style shared tournament
  • So where’s the World Cup gonna go? Qatar can neither practically host it as it’s all a shitshow at the moment nor ethically.

I can see a Euros style shared tournament
    I see Qatar keeping it

In a way I hope they do else its an even greater insult to the workers that have died during the construction as it really would have been for nothing
  • If it isn't, will Qatar demand their bribes back?
  • MrLargo said:
    It'll be played in Qatar. Far too many brown envelopes have been passed around for that not to happen.

Some incorruptible organisation would have to disband FIFA and start again from scratch in order for it not to take place in Qatar.
    That needs to happen at FIFA anyway

Infantino being appointed hasnt changed a single thing
  • I would love to see it moved from Qatar, though I take FA's point, I don't think the families of the dead would feel particularly aggrieved at that. It wont bring their loved ones back, and it won't be a memorial for the unfortunate ones. 

It's not too late to change it, and I am sure the European leagues would be happy for it to revert to the (northern hemisphere) summer tournament it is supposed to be.   

• edited June 2019
    Being held in winter and messing up the Premier League is the only other reason I want Qatar to remain as hosts

Really curious to see how it'll all be scheduled etc.

The other problem will be Qualification if they try to move it back to the Summer months (I imagine)... i.e. As mentioned in my other thread, its only just started in Asia whereas 2018 Qualification began in March 2015...

The later start will be to compensate the winter World Cup and dont imagine there being enough international breaks to fit in all the games etc. if they were to move it back to June / July
  • Sponsored links:

• It could be held at the last minute in European countries that qualify for it. It could be shared between us, Germany, France, Italy and Spain. All these countries have the infrastructure and venues.
  • Odds on England hosting it gone from 6/1 to EVENS.
  • The decision to award it to Qatar has been a shambles from start to finish, with bribing and the deaths of construction workers a stain on FIFA, not to mention the idiocy of awarding it to a country then realising it would be to hot to host it in summer. Wonder if it's too late to take it from them now though, but common sense would say it's possible and give it to a country with stadiums and transport infrastructure already in place.
  • Premier League players could face the prospect of playing games nine days before the start of the 2022 winter World Cup in Qatar.

Draft plans have been shared between clubs outlining the Premier League schedule around the tournament, being held from 21 November to 18 December.

Fixtures could take place on 12 November and resume on 26 December, eight days after the final.

The season would also kick off one week earlier and finish a week later.

It means that there would be only six weekends without Premier League games.

The issue will be discussed at the next Premier League shareholders' meeting in November.

• edited November 2020
    England have been named as one of the top seeds for Qualification what with the draw being made on the 7th December.

Qualification is going to be in 2021 with:

- Three games in each of March and September
     - Two games in each of October and November
     - Play-Offs in March 2022

Because we didnt reach the Nations League Finals, we'll likely be in a Group of six teams
  • edited November 2021
    clive said:
    League One and League Two will continue as normal 

Christ that could create a bit of a mess for a teams fixtures if they have three players called up - Id be surprised if anyone did but is it worth the risk?

Same with the Championship resuming straight after the Group Stages. 
  • Should just play the papa johns during the World Cup and the papa johns dates should be league games 
  • The Championship fixtures restarting that quickly seems a car crash waiting to happen.

Premier League shuts down till Boxing Day 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2021
    Rothko said:
    The Championship fixtures restarting that quickly seems a car crash waiting to happen.

Premier League shuts down till Boxing Day 
    Realistically though how many championship sides have players with countries who will reach the latter stages of a world cup?

Championship resumes 10 December, by which time we'll be at the quarter final stage.

They can't pause for too much longer as they have 46 games to play against the 38 of the Premier league.
  • Portugal and Italy drawn in the same 'pathway' so one of them will not be at the WC next year
  • Wales and Scotland would also meet in the final if they win their semi's so only one more home nation at the WC tops
  • Interesting draw that!  Hoping it is Wales v Scotland, bit of tension.

Plus at least one of Portugal and Italy not being at the World Cup is a bit of a turn up.
  • My only hope is that the countries that are always at these tournaments but rarely do little of note (Austria, Poland, Russia etc) miss out.
  • Wales v Scotland would be a cracker
  • The Welsh should be delighted with that, when you consider the teams they avoided.