Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Revolution by Russell Brand

Comments

• Options
    Yep. I think the ''Don't vote' is a red herring. Brand should get some credit for raising some big issues, like the illuminati/very rich families dominating the financial agenda rather than castigating him for being a knob head.
    Traditionally the masses are 'given' their football, booze and dope and wander through life like sheep. It's time to wake up but I have to admit it's mighty weird having someone like Brand banging the drum!
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Thought the journalist on Question time was very good.

For years I have wondered why the youth of today have not gone ballistic about the way society has developed.

Because they are distracted by X-factor, Premiership football and anything else that can be monetised for them to consume. That is, until they become old, cynical, a mountain of debt and too worn down by the 9-5 grind to have any fight in them like you and me.
  • Options
    OUCH! I must admit, a truly magnificent rant against Brand from someone whose lunch he spoiled when he invaded the RBS building. Got me rethinking...
  • Options
    Fernando's is going to be mobbed from now on!
  • Options
    I've warmed to Russell Brand, he's got some balls and speaks his mind. I like that in a person.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I've warmed to Russell Brand, he's got some balls and speaks his mind. I like that in a person.

Not enough to stand for parliament because he might "turn into one of them" apparently. Even though it's only politics, it's not star wars
  • Options
    I've warmed to Russell Brand, he's got some balls and speaks his mind. I like that in a person

Well Greenie it depends how you view it, after all what is he really risking by speaking his mind? He isn't jeopardising his career on the contrary he is generating a lot of publicity for himself and from where I am sitting he is doing it from a position of safety.

The real game changers are people like the late Jimmy Reid who galvanised the Glasgow Ship workers and kept those men in jobs pushing back against closures of the ship yards. Now there was a man with principle and boldness to be admired.

To me Russel Brand is a skinny comedian who speaks gobbledegook and I place him alongside Bono as the two most irritating fuckwits around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've warmed to Russell Brand, he's got some balls and speaks his mind. I like that in a person

Well Greenie it depends how you view it, after all what is he really risking by speaking his mind? He isn't jeopardising his career on the contrary he is generating a lot of publicity for himself and from where I am sitting he is doing it from a position of safety.

The real game changers are people like the late Jimmy Reid who galvanised the Glasgow Ship workers and kept those men in jobs pushing back against closures of the ship yards. Now there was a man with principle and boldness to be admired.

To me Russel Brand is a skinny comedian who speaks gobbledegook and I place him alongside Bono as the two most irritating fuckwits around.

What, Jimmy Reid the Communist. Excellent.
  • Options
    Brand's RBS protest was absolutely disgusting. Most of the staff he harrassed were probably low-level admin staff who, like the people Brand claims to be standing up for, are just trying to make ends meet.

Now he's decided to upload an ill-timed rant at Australia's handling of the Sydney siege, claiming that the perpetrator was just some mentally ill guy and that the real terrorists are Tony Abbott and the Australian government & media for manufacturing a terror crisis in order to instill fear and order to keep the population controlled. Think it's time his loyal disciples woke up and realised what a cretinous oxygen thief he really is.
  • Options
    Afternoon Greenie yes you are correct Jimmy Reed (my spelling was wrong) was a communist no doubt and I don't subscribe to that particular ideology but he stood up and was counted in a mainly positive manner and at the same time made sure that the protests and sit ins were non-violent and in the end saved a lot of jobs. Maybe a bad example to throw out but I guess what I was trying to do was give an example of somebody who really made a difference. I have always respected people who have a set of principles and stick to them (within reason I exclude Hitler, The Taliban and Pol Pot for example) regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

I see Russel Brand as a self publicising numb nuts and agree with Fiish the more peple listen to him the more he will go on.
  • Options

OUCH! I must admit, a truly magnificent rant against Brand from someone whose lunch he spoiled when he invaded the RBS building. Got me rethinking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lImH9IP6Xa4

I'm assuming the above video is the moment that sparked this whole article from the other fella involved.

Looks like he tried to be a smart ass and make a snide comment and got called up on it. Now he's crying.
  • Options
    Brand has made a number of concrete proposals in his book "Revolution".

He proposes the end of the nation state - no United Staes, England, no border controld. INstead we live in small autonomous communities

He believes that all companies with revenues of $37m or more should be closed and their assets confiscated without compensation by the new revolutionary communites. That would, of course, include West Ham, not to mention his multi-billion corporate publisher. I think that the three companies he is a director of would be safe though.

He believes that the new communities should be religious/spiritual. In Revolution , his most hated figure is not Jeff Bezos or Nigel Farage but Richard Dawkkins, founder of the "atheistic tyranny" that we labour under.

The man is a narcisstic idiot. His ideas are ridiculous. His writing is atrocious. The fact that he is being discussed by us is a sad indictment of the shallowness and stupidity of political thinking.
  • Options

I'm assuming the above video is the moment that sparked this whole article from the other fella involved.

Looks like he tried to be a smart ass and make a snide comment and got called up on it. Now he's crying.
    Everyone gets it, you like Russell and will do everything in your power to promote him and attempt to shoot down those that, quite rightly, highlight his hypocrisy and 'do as I say, not as I do' mantra.

Instead of looking to rubbish the man that wrote the letter, try scrutinising the facts he lays out in the letter whereby Brand is shown as being a supporter of tax avoidance schemes so long as his film production company can benefit from them.

If highlighting the hollow views that Brand promotes is crying then my cheeks are soaked.

• Options
    Amusing, so Brand got the wrong building.
    Perhaps he was actually upset because he thought RBS was an acronym for "Russsel Brand Sucks".
    Come to think of it, he got not just the wrong building but the wrong fecking planet.
  • Options

Instead of looking to rubbish the man that wrote the letter, try scrutinising the facts he lays out in the letter whereby Brand is shown as being a supporter of tax avoidance schemes so long as his film production company can benefit from them.

There is an irony to suggest using facts that only rubbish Russell Brand as a person. This letter does exactly what you are suggesting of Callumcafc, it only attacks brand the person rather than the points he raises.

It completely dismisses his argument with a few glib lines about his cold lunch and some sexist thoughts about the company he keeps.

The author clearly places the suffering he has faced by his lunch getting cold as much worse than suffering caused by inequality and greed.
  • Options

There is an irony to suggest using facts that only rubbish Russell Brand as a person. This letter does exactly what you are suggesting of Callumcafc, it only attacks brand the person rather than the points he raises.

I thought it did both.

• Options
    Jints said:

I thought it did both.

I must admit, so did I, and after QT I had been warming up to Brand.

Unfortunately the guy's reference to a bullying demeanour by Brand reminded me of the Andrew Sachs affair.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2014

Everyone gets it, you like Russell and will do everything in your power to promote him and attempt to shoot down those that, quite rightly, highlight his hypocrisy and 'do as I say, not as I do' mantra.

If highlighting the hollow views that Brand promotes is crying then my cheeks are soaked.

Ok. I don't think he's without fault and even if he did stand for election, he wouldn't win my vote. But I do admire him using his position get behind smaller campaigns that otherwise wouldn't get the same coverage from the media.

Just because I'm presenting the other side of the argument doesn't always mean I'm promoting it - at least, I don't mean to. I'd just rather we talked about some of the points being made, and not the person making them.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Jints said:

I thought it did both.

It just repeatedly suggests he is a hypocrite and that the RBS bailout is going to benefit us in the long term without addressing the suffering it caused. Also that he is some kind of public servant whose only motivations are to return a profit for the tax payer and a hot lunch.

• Options
    What suffering did the RBS "bail out" (actually nationalisation) cause?

And what suffering would have been caused if RBS had not been nationalised? Millions of people would have lost all their savings and tens of thousands their jobs. There woudl have been a massive financial crisis from whcih we woudl never have recovered. The management of RBS was a disgrace and it sticks in the craw that Fred the Shred can't be prosecuted but it is infantile to suggest that the nationalisation of RBS was not the obviously right thing to do and it is pathetic to doorstep ordinary working people many years afterwards.

Brand accused this guy personally of being paid by the taxpayers. The guy responded that Brand is being paid by license fee payers and that Brand has taken every opportunity to avoid paying tax. If Brand wants an elevated discussion he should stop flinging monkey poo around himself.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Jints said:

And what suffering would have been caused if RBS had not been nationalised? Millions of people would have lost all their savings and tens of thousands their jobs. There woudl have been a massive financial crisis from whcih we woudl never have recovered. The management of RBS was a disgrace and it sticks in the craw that Fred the Shred can't be prosecuted but it is infantile to suggest that the nationalisation of RBS was not the obviously right thing to do and it is pathetic to doorstep ordinary working people many years afterwards.

Brand accused this guy personally of being paid by the taxpayers. The guy responded that Brand is being paid by license fee payers and that Brand has taken every opportunity to avoid paying tax. If Brand wants an elevated discussion he should stop flinging monkey poo around himself.

It has become increasingly evident during Brand's drawn-out meltdown over the past few months that he has decided to keep himself as ill-informed as possible on the following issues:

- tax
    - the economy
    - religion
    - politics
    - business

And if anyone dares to question him when he is spouting his propaganda, instead of listening and bettering himself, he throws all his toys out of the pram and then cries 'I'm a comedian so I don't have to know anything!'.
  • Options
    Jints said:

I agree with most of your points and I also think he is a hypocrite, but I think most people are. It is the duality of man.

I actually meant the suffering caused by the irresponsible actions of RBS management and financial sector as a whole before the bailout. I just called it the RBS bailout because that is what everyone knows it as. I think there was plenty of evident suffering from this.

• Options

And it’s not just RBS mate. Lloyds, Barclays, Citibank and HSBC have all been found guilty of market rigging and not one banker has been jailed.

Trillions of public money lost and stolen and no one prosecuted. Remember in the riots when disaffected youth nicked the odd bottle of water or a stray pair of trainers? Criminal, I agree. 1800 years worth of sentences were meted out in special courts, to make an example. Some crime doesn’t pay, but some crime definitely does. My school mate Leigh Pickett, a fireman is being told that he and his colleagues won’t be able to collect their pension until five years later than agreed, five more years of backbreaking, flame engulfed labour – why? Because of austerity.

If there is a truth in what he is saying, does it not make you angry, even if he is a twat? The criminal negligence has nothing to do with political ideology, like benefit cheats anger both the left and the right.
    His door stepping was no more pathetic than the way everyone rolled over in this country.
  • Options
    Decent and enjoyable come back from Brand, but I think Jo is still clinging on to a 2-1 lead, because Brand hasn't addressed the inconsistencies in his own financial affairs. He will need to do that if he wants to progress with his project.