Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

1545556575860»

Comments

• Options

With KP in the side they just gave us the worst ever Ashes tour by an England side. Any of the established players that survive should thank their lucky stars.

I agree with this Peanuts , the trouble is, and I have written this SCORES of times .. where/who are the replacements ? .. no batsmen, few pace bowlers, no decent spinners .. we'll have to send Flower to Southern Africa to rustle up a few more mercenaries
    Sometimes you're better off with a blank page and accepting the fact that you'll (probably) have a fallow period while you give untried players a chance to show what they can do. How much more humiliating can it get than what we've just witnessed?
  • Options
    I also continue to predict (I am such a cheerful chappie) that test cricket will be dead in 10 years time at the most .. perhaps only England & Australia will still be 'tesing' one another come the day .. One day cricket is the future, like it or not, and the England 'selectors' need to grasp that nettle .. we are not equipped for ANY form of cricket a t m .. ((:<)
  • Options
    I have argued (not on here) that we shd make T20 and Cricket, it separate sports .
  • Options
    lolwray said:

I have argued (not on here) that we shd make T20 and Cricket, it separate sports .

I'm inclined to agree mate, it is already going that way with some T20 players never having played First Class Cricket. However we'd need a massive firm to sponsor Test cricket to pay the top players.
  • Options

Riviera said:

You simply cannot rebuild a team with KP in it. He polarizes opinion everywhere including in the England dressing room.

It's widely accepted that we have to take a few steps backwards and suffer defeats along the way but the opportunity is there for a new "team" of young players to grow together.

How young would you go AA?
    There has to be a blend. Cook, Bell, Broad and Anderson are given.

Root (23), Stokes (22), Buttler (23), Jordan (25), Finn (24) (assuming he sorts out the "yips") have all shown, at times, that they can cut it at International level in at least one form of the game.

Ballance (24), Borthwick (23), Robson (24) plus Rayner (albeit 28 has had a career littered with injury but is potentially the best spinner around) should all be given a chance.

In addition, the door should be left open for any 19 or 20 year old who is showing promise (and with the right temperament and attitude) to be rewarded early. Playing county cricket in its current state won't improve that player but competing on the biggest stage just might.
    Anyone from Liege we can loan?

I also continue to predict (I am such a cheerful chappie) that test cricket will be dead in 10 years time at the most .. perhaps only England & Australia will still be 'tesing' one another come the day .. One day cricket is the future, like it or not, and the England 'selectors' need to grasp that nettle .. we are not equipped for ANY form of cricket a t m .. ((:<) </p>

Test cricket is still very popular in England, watching a spot of cricket while sitting in the sun with a pint of Pedigree in your hand is one of the highlights of the summer!
  • Options

Riviera said:

Kirsten quit his last job because of too much travel and time away from his family. England play the most cricket and the most away too. So expect him to be appointed very soon......

i've had the misfortune to have a 'chat' with Kirsten for about 30 mins - biggest up his own arse i've ever met - even more so than KP.
    Just for the sake of balance, Sachin Tendaulkar says Gary Kirsten is the best coach/manager he has EVER played under, by a country mile.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Kirsten quit his last job because of too much travel and time away from his family. England play the most cricket and the most away too. So expect him to be appointed very soon......

i've had the misfortune to have a 'chat' with Kirsten for about 30 mins - biggest up his own arse i've ever met - even more so than KP.
    Just for the sake of balance, Sachin Tendaulkar says Gary Kirsten is the best coach/manager he has EVER played under, by a country mile.
    And results speak for themselves.
  • Options

Perhaps a disruptive character but who will now score the runs ?

Wot, like the mega runs he scored in Australia ??
  • Options
    KP is consistently Englands best performer- even if he is performing badly. For me, he is the last person on the list to end his international career - for that reason alone. England managed to get itself to be the best team in the world for a spell, and Pieterson was an intrisic part of that - If the management can't handle him - they should think about ending their careers not his! It makes English cricket a laughing stock and proves to me beyond doubt that we need a new captain! Michael Vaughan is 100% spot on with his comments.
  • Options
    One thing KP has not been in the last few years is consistent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Look at his averages compared to others!
  • Options
    You cannot compare KP to anyone else. He is a one-off. Stats don't lie, but they don't tell the whole truth either. With his undoubted talent he should have played many, many more significant innings, especially recently.
  • Options
    But to end his career when he had the best averages of the England players in Australia - who does that reflect badly on? I find it incredible.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    If playing in a fast and loose style got him that average in the first place, and those runs got him in the side, why complain when he gets out to fast and loose style shots? It is exactly that what you wanted to get our totals up previously.
  • Options
    ECB Statement:

"Kevin Pietersen will no longer be selected because Alastair Cook must have the full support & trust of all players. We must invest in our captain Alastair Cook & we must support him in creating a culture in which we can be confident he will have the full support of the players pulling in the same direction & able to trust each other.It is for those reasons that we have decided to move on without Kevin Pietersen.

Andy Flower, Alastair Cook & Matt Prior have all been singled out for uninformed criticism. These are men who care deeply about the fortunes of the England team & its image & it is ironic that they were the people who led the reintegration of Kevin Pietersen into the England squad in 2012".

Couldn't be clearer really.
  • Options
    Can't wait for KP on Piers Morgan's True Life Bories....
  • Options

ECB Statement:

"Kevin Pietersen will no longer be selected because Alastair Cook must have the full support & trust of all players. We must invest in our captain Alastair Cook & we must support him in creating a culture in which we can be confident he will have the full support of the players pulling in the same direction & able to trust each other.It is for those reasons that we have decided to move on without Kevin Pietersen.

Andy Flower, Alastair Cook & Matt Prior have all been singled out for uninformed criticism. These are men who care deeply about the fortunes of the England team & its image & it is ironic that they were the people who led the reintegration of Kevin Pietersen into the England squad in 2012".

You and I have both captained and managed many teams AA, we know that however talented an individual may be, if they are an arse, you're better off without them.
  • Options

ECB Statement:

I don't disagree with the sentiment but that is one of the strangest "official" statements that I have seen, a long way from the usual ultra-dry stuff you'd expect from the ECB.

Moreover, they have basically served it up to KP with that statement so they'd better get the crash helmets on because he and his associates will be returning serve bloody hard.

Expect a book at Christmas - probably with a tell-all TV interview too.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

ECB Statement:

You and I have both captained and managed many teams AA, we know that however talented an individual may be, if they are an arse, you're better off without them.
    I had that issue with every single team I skippered. It was probably something to do with all the other 10 being more talented than moi :-(

• Options

ECB Statement:

I don't disagree with the sentiment but that is one of the strangest "official" statements that I have seen, a long way from the usual ultra-dry stuff you'd expect from the ECB.

Moreover, they have basically served it up to KP with that statement so they'd better get the crash helmets on because he and his associates will be returning serve bloody hard.

I'm really intrigued as to what's happened behind closed doors.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

ECB Statement:

I just wonder whether the ECB might have stitched KP up here.

We know the reason nothing was publicly announced 'til the legal side of things were sorted and KP's "pay off" in particular. Could it be that there is a clause preventing him from talking about the issues 'til the dust has settled - or 'til he has finished playing?

• Options
    @sseaddick & @AddickAddict

Indeed, I would love to know what the hell is going on.

When James Whittaker got trotted out he was shitting himself because he was so scared of talking about KP - then a few days later they pour a bucket of shit all over KP anyway - doesn't seem to make sense.

A confidentiality deal usually works both ways!
  • Options
    I wonder when he will finish? Ok the bloke who runs the IPL said it's brilliant that he will be available for a whole season for the first time but his IPL record is not great, I know he had injuries and England commitments but he still hardly set the IPL on fire.
    I watched the final of the Big Bash highlights tonight and the whole 20/20 game has moved on so much, there are loads of young players doing what he does. He has dodgy knees and you can't hid someone in the field in 20/20.
    Sure he'll get a contract in the next one of IPL, Big Bash, English T20, Ram Slam and the West Indies version if that's what he wants but I would not be so sure he will get more than one season out of each.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I wonder when he will finish? Ok the bloke who runs the IPL said it's brilliant that he will be available for a whole season for the first time but his IPL record is not great, I know he had injuries and England commitments but he still hardly set the IPL on fire.
    I watched the final of the Big Bash highlights tonight and the whole 20/20 game has moved on so much, there are loads of young players doing what he does. He has dodgy knees and you can't hid someone in the field in 20/20.
    Sure he'll get a contract in the next one of IPL, Big Bash, English T20, Ram Slam and the West Indies version if that's what he wants but I would not be so sure he will get more than one season out of each.

Plus he has got a young family and if he played in all of those T-20s then he'd be away from home for about the same as touring with England.

The IPL is two months in April/May and the Big Bash over here is December-February and I guess that the West Indies version would be at least six weeks too.
  • Options
    James Anderson felt this winter’s Ashes pain more keenly than his England team-mates — because he played the majority of the 5-0 whitewash with a broken rib.

Although the injury was kept quiet, it has prevented him bowling a ball in the six weeks since returning from Australia.

The Lancashire fast bowler, second on England’s Test all-time wickettakers’ list behind Sir Ian Botham, was struck while attempting to pull a Peter Siddle short ball in the second Test at Adelaide.

Surely questions have to be asked of the England management here? How can they play him knowing he was injured?
  • Options
    ^same with Trott when they knew he had his problems. The whole series was a shambles. Maybe we lack depth so much we'd rather risk injured people.
  • Options
    Hat Trick Productions
    4:45 PM (4 hours ago)

Also open for bookings...
    Blofeld & Baxter: Memories of Test Match Special
    Henry Blofeld and Peter Baxter cordially invite you to the recording of their brand new Radio 4 show, where two of Test Match Special's finest bastions reveal fascinating untold stories from the commentary box and beyond.

Date: Monday 24th March
    Venue: The RADA Studios 16 Chenies St London WC1E 7EX
    Time: 18:15hrs

How to apply
    Please ensure you are registered on our ticket website: www.hattrick.co.uk/ticketing
    Please register in advance of the tickets release date.

• Options
    Joe Root broke his thumb when hit early on in his innings yesterday and is being sent home.

Didn't stop him scoring a hundred so all credit to him.

• Options

Joe Root broke his thumb when hit early on in his innings yesterday and is being sent home.

Didn't stop him scoring a hundred so all credit to him.

Especially as he had only 1 run to his name at the time !