Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Warm up match v Australia 'A' started last night.

England bat first and finished on 318-0.

Cook & Carberry finished the day on 153* & 154*.

Root down to bat at 5.

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully Cook will bat the same way he did last time he was down under.
  • Options
    may not be a bad idea having root at 6 for the test matches

i am a fan of carberry (brilliant fielder too) ..yes i know he dropped a couple in the one dayers but id look closely at e carberry/cook as an opening pair
  • Options
    Carberry has really set the cat amongst the pigeons with that innings, it'll be very difficult not to open with him now!
  • Options
    Think that'll seal his place given Root can drop down to 6.
  • Options
    Bell for Ballance then.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Bell for Ballance then.

Depends on the size of the bell but if they are big bells you might want one bell in each hand for balance.
  • Options
    sounds like they might have an understanding. glad for carberry who I rate highly.
  • Options
    I'm not convinced Carberry is a test player. ( that Australia A bowling line up was awful ) I'd rather see Root open with Cook.
  • Options
    The penny has dropped, Carberry at two, Root at 5 or 6 .. the next problem is to sort out the bowling
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shame he's pushing on now in age
  • Options

I'm not convinced Carberry is a test player. ( that Australia A bowling line up was awful ) I'd rather see Root open with Cook.

Agree, the Aussies basically picked two seamers - Cutting and Copeland - who are nowhere near the Test squad and probably never will be.

The rest of the attack was absolutely rank spinners like Holland and "Millionaire" Maxwell - neither of whom will get near the Test side in this series.

Root will get exposed here as an opener so putting him at six is probably a good move.

Cook, Trott, Bell and KP are CRUCIAL in this series, if three of those four score big runs then England will win the series easily.
  • Options
    Pumped for this series. Tickets to the Perth and Melbourne tests. I hope Mitchell Johnson plays, it's been banded about over here to recall him. he cracks under the pressure of ashes cricket. If our top order fires, we'll do this comfortably.
  • Options
    "Mitchell Johnson injury scare" say SSN.
    Injured toe whilst bowling for Western Australia.
    Shaun Watson got a "low grade muscle strain in his left hamstring", but should be fit for first test on the 21st.
  • Options
    watching the highlights. though the bowling is mediocre at best and the spinners are hopeless, but for carberry he's playing well and he can only play against who he plays against. great bit of wisdom from me but it's a shame that this bowling attack is so poor, he needs a real test. by the looks of it that will only come by playing in the ashes itself.
    it's a bit of a gamble if he does get the nod to open the bat with cook but that's the only way he can prove himself.
  • Options
    If any of you ever get over for the cricket, their is a barmy army Xmas day bash on before the MCG test. My housemate @Eirik Bakke has done it. A blinding day he reckons!
    Slap up Xmas day lunch and drinks at the hotel that the Aussie team stays in and all the Christmas carols are reworded for the ashes. You've got 1200 fans singing away with some taunting the Aussie team thrown in for good measure! I'm looking forward to this as much as the game.
  • Options
    sounds great ozaddick.
    jealous.

a mate of mine is going over their for a couple of tests, have to find out if it's the boxing day one. if so I'll tell him about your xmas party.
  • Options
    Not sure about Carberry - I don't think he is Test Match standard. I would like to see Trott open with Cook and have Root coming in at 4 or 5
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't take too much notice of these warm up games. The West Australian Chairmas Tema was essentially a third team. The Austrailan 'A' team is more like an Australian 'd' team........Shield games are currently being played.
  • Options
    I've got tickets for the melbourne test, really looking forward to it. Ozaddick, have you got a link for the xmas day thing?
  • Options

I've got tickets for the melbourne test, really looking forward to it. Ozaddick, have you got a link for the xmas day thing?

I'll have a word with my housemate. I'll get back to ya on this mate.
  • Options

looking at the highlights carberry didn't look solid outside off stump .....an awful lot going through gully in a phil hughes way
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

@Moutuakilla, it's on the barmy army website mate. That's where he got the tickets.
    If you go, let us know, we'll have a pint.

• Options
    SSN Breaking news (10-10pm):

Kevin Pietersen to have scan & injection in his right knee after recurrence of an old injury.
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

ozaddick said:

@Moutuakilla, it's on the barmy army website mate. That's where he got the tickets.
    If you go, let us know, we'll have a pint.

http://www.barmyarmy.com/

• Options

SSN Breaking news (10-10pm):

Kevin Pietersen to have scan & injection in his right knee after recurrence of an old injury.

Sometimes you get the impression Pieterson does this for attention.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, i'll check it out