Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options
    caught half hour before work this morning barmy army in full voice knew before I looked at the score we must have had a good day. get em out for 300 then pray cook can repeat the form he had last time in oz big 200 from someone get close to 500 then see how the ozzies handle the presure.
  • Options
    Just love the convicts calling anyone a cheat!!!!
  • Options

Quality first day from england, absolute road of a pitch and tomorrow conditions are going to be better for batting. Need to get them out early and sit back and post a mammoth total. Have a feeling we could win this one by an innings.
  • Options
    Just up from watching all night!

If we can get them early tomorrow, then we have a chance of posting a great score while the wicket is at its best (days 2 & 3 according to the pundits).

The bowlers will hopefully then get a decent rest before being required again.
  • Options
    That pitch is a F&&king ROAD once you get past 25 overs, there is no reverse swing either because the outfield is like a carpet.

Cook is critical, just need him to stay there and pave the way for KP, Bell and Root to make hay in those overs.

Need to bowl them our for 300 tomorrow and then score 500.
  • Options
    In all honesty - we don't really know how good or bad 300 will be until we have had a bat. Let's hope for the best!
  • Options
    What we can say is the pitch doesn't appear to hold any demons, the outfield is quick and smooth, so reverse swing won't come into it. It's really a question of concentration and making the right decisions, something the Aussie's failed to do.

Of course Johnson is the wildcard, capable of ripping through a team, but equally capable of spraying it all over the place and going for 0-100.

As Haddin and Johnson showed, if you can get through the first 25-30 overs then batting becomes easier, we just have to ensure we're only a wicket or two down at that stage rather than the 5 or 6 Australia found themselves down.
  • Options
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYrn9dxdnr

Just found this video from the last ashes down under - what a video.
  • Options

In all honesty - we don't really know how good or bad 300 will be until we have had a bat. Let's hope for the best!

this, this, and more this.

• Options
    yes first session crucial ..i cant see it though ,feel like a zombie today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:

yes first session crucial ..i cant see it though ,feel like a zombie today

I only wanted to stay up for the first hour, ended up getting 2.5 hours sleep.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

this, this, and more this.

To a degree but, if you look at how self-inflicted so many of their dismissals were, we would have to bat as poorly as them:

Rogers - looked like a cat on a hot tin roof failing to get behind a ball he needn't have played.

Watson - frustrated at his own inability at rotating the strike he played a nothing shot a couple of balls before lunch.

Clarke - seems totally incapable of playing Broad's bouncer. Needs to learn to watch the ball the whole time and not think turning his head away is a recipe for avoiding getting out or being hurt.

Warner - batted with purpose BUT is always likely to give his wicket way in the one day style he likes to adopt. In the end got out not committing to a shot he should have either smacked out of the ground or left alone.

Bailey - went so far back and across that he ended up showing 5 stumps when it should have been a "leave".

Smith - not YET a top 5 batsman in my opinion and in a former era wouldn't have got in the side as a batsman or bowler at this stage of his career. Having said that, he was probably less culpable than those already back in the pavilion.

Johnson - batted superbly, along with Haddin, with the "old" ball but the new ball did it for him.

Siddle - a non "batsman" who was another victim to the moving ball.

So, in my opinion it's simple. See off the new ball(s), make hay with the old ball(s) and we should be fine.

I hope that I won't have to be as critical of our batsmen this time tomorrow.

• Options
    I think Smith is class. It will be interesting to see which one out of him and Root go on to have the best career
  • Options
    I thought Broad may have a really good game, as everyone seemed to be saying he plays better when fired up.

I agree with AA above. The pitch seems to be playing straight enough & is a tiny bit lively with the new ball, but see off that & you should rack up a score.

Get them out for 300, bat calmy, see off the new ball & fill your boots. (If only).
  • Options
    Can't believe no terrestial highlights
  • Options
    edited November 2013

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/articles/ashes-highlights-available-free-air-tv

Highlights will be Pick, a Freeview/Freesat channel for the Skyless

22.00 - 23.00 Freeview 11 Virgin 180 Sky 152.
  • Options
    I'll check that out cheers
  • Options
    Yes , on Pick - what a shambles its not on C5 .

And good analysis Addict.
  • Options
    I have just watched Shane Watson giving his wicket away with a crestfallen "oh no" ten times. Then gone to YouTube and watched the last time he did it down there a couple of years ago. Thanks Shane - you've made me laugh as much as I did first time round.
  • Options
    Bloody hot and sunny here today, no breeze at all and zero clouds.

Perfect day for batting all day and then some.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Time to demoralise the Aussies
  • Options
    That outfield is a fucking nightmare
  • Options
    6 for Broad!
  • Options
    Yessssssss. Lyon can't even hold a bat. come on!
  • Options
    Another one to Broad. Harris went fishing and then decided he didn't want to catch anything after all.
  • Options
    Get in! Or more exactly, get off.
  • Options

Yessssssss. Lyon can't even hold a bat. come on!

You've almost gotta feel sorry for him. Most tail enders who get peppered at least have the luxury of being able to return the compliment when the opposition bowlers do bat.

• Options
    Hey, I feel marginally sorry for him anyway. His face looks like it belongs to three different people.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Well done Carberry. 295 all out. Haddin run out for 94.
  • Options
    in the immortal words of Kenny Powers: You're fuckin' OUT!