Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Help!I'm going to buy Curbs' autobiography

2»

Comments

• Options
    Just ordered Left Foot Forward, thanks for the suggestions guys (even though it wasn't aimed at me)
  • Options
    Read both (not heard of Nelse's secound tome and will look for it...). LFF was a cracking book but I found the Curbs one came across just like the man himself on TV, rather boring. Still it's about Charlton mostly so whats not to like. It was given me by a couple of lads at work who had been walking past Waterstones in Canary Wharf when the Great Lewellyn was signing them so they got him to sign it for me. It is now a family heirloom.
  • Options

My offer is there Jessie if you want to take it up. Don't worry about payment, I'll quite happily send it to you as a gift. Anything for a fellow Addick overseas.

This is Charlton Athletic, good on you AUN.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I am the other bloke in the world along with Lincs who enjoyed Curbs' book.

An autobiography should give a flavour of the subject in my opinion and Curbs' one does. If you want lurid, tabloid revelations buy the News of The World or equivalent.

I endorse the complimentary comments re Garry Nelson's books too. They are both thoroughly enjoyable reads.
  • Options

Loved reading Nelson's book Left Foot Forward (not tried his second one) but its a great insight into a Footballer outside the Premier League in the early 90s

Really want to see it brought out as an ebook I wont lie

The second book is primarily about his season as joint player-manager at Torquay, the first chaper covers his departure from Charlton though. Very good book all the same.

I think Curbs' book is an enjoyable enough read, it's just frustrating that he only touches on a number of issues that he probably could have filled a chapter with.
  • Options
    Didn't he add a piece to the book then renamed it "I think i will manage" after saving west ham from relegation?
  • Options
    I'd like to express my sincerest thanks to everyone who has offered help and suggestions.I was maybe just expecting some advice on buying second-hand books before posting this thread.Now with the great kindness from you lovely fellow Addicks,I end up with waiting for the best Christmas/New Year gift I'll ever have.I did find it difficult to sleep last night and couldn't concentrate at work today.All I was thinking about is how to say thanks to you all.Being a Charlton fan is a blessing.I live thousands of miles away but all you Lifers make me feel like one of this big family.This friendship is something that I'll cherish forever.
  • Options
    I have read Curbs' book and though it isn't unputdownable it is interesting enough for addicks and I had no trouble finishing it in a couple of sessions. There are a few insights but as previously mentioned above, you get the sense a lot of detail remains undisclosed.

• Options
    Just realised Curbs is turning 56 today.Wishing him well and hopefully we'll see him back to management one day.

As for the book, I'm sure I'll like it.I read the first three chapters,first of which detailing his departure with the club.To be honest I felt depressed while reading that chapter.His leaving and us going down from the Prem League have been the two most heartbreaking moments for me as a Charlton fan in the past nine or ten years.Reading that brought back some really sad memories...
  • Options

Just realised Curbs is turning 56 today.Wishing him well and hopefully we'll see him back to management one day.

As for the book, I'm sure I'll like it.I read the first three chapters,first of which detailing his departure with the club.To be honest I felt depressed while reading that chapter.His leaving and us going down from the Prem League have been the two most heartbreaking moments for me as a Charlton fan in the past nine or ten years.Reading that brought back some really sad memories...

Give it time, there'll be more !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Well,I always choose to think positively.I keep an eye on the Takeover thread and maybe,maybe just something good will happen to us one day.Who knows?
  • Options
    Jessie.

Just wanted to reassure you that, although Curbs will not now be at the BBTV dinner, I am arranging for the book to get to him for signing in the next couple of weeks, so you should still receive it in time for Xmas.

Take care

Jean
  • Options

se9addick said:

Well,I always choose to think positively.I keep an eye on the Takeover thread and maybe,maybe just something good will happen to us one day.Who knows?
    Can't you speak to 朱骏 for us, he seems like a really nice guy !

;0)
  • Options

Jessie.

Just wanted to reassure you that, although Curbs will not now be at the BBTV dinner, I am arranging for the book to get to him for signing in the next couple of weeks, so you should still receive it in time for Xmas.

Take care

Jean

Hi Jean,thank you sooooo much for making SUCH GREAT efforts to make it happen for me.......I am forever in your debt...........!!!!!!
  • Options

se9addick said:

;0)
    Guess you don't know then that he has a bad reputation for delaying payment of wages to the players :)
  • Options

Jessie.

Take care

Jean

Hi Jean,thank you sooooo much for making SUCH GREAT efforts to make it happen for me.......I am forever in your debt...........!!!!!!
    No probs, it's our pleasure ( SHG, AUN & Grandpa )

• Options

se9addick said:

;0)
    Guess you don't know then that he has a bad reputation for delaying payment of wages to the players :)
    I did know that, hence the smiley.

Who cares who you pay when you have enough guanxi, right!

• Options
    Curbs book was a real disappointment. Bothe the Garry Nelson books were better (left foot in the grave was the other one).
  • Options
    can't believe its worse than lennie Lawrence's book.