Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options
    Semi predictions - Hawkins & Higgins to progress...
  • Options

Here is something that has come up on twitter tonight and its a very good point

Ronnie O'Sullivan considered by many as the GOAT.
    Turned pro in 92 has won 33 ranking events including 5 world titles

John Higgins if he wins World Championship this year
    Turned pro in 92 would have won 31 ranking events including 5 world titles.

Same era, same world titles and Higgins only 2 ranking events behind Ronnie, surely he would then have to be classed as just as good as Ronnie

On paper perhaps.

One’s got cheating on his CV as well so the comparisons on paper aren’t that great.

• Options
    Thanks all for predictions, remember double points for this round and 4 for final winner. Squeaky bum time....
    Wilson to beat Higgins
    Hawkins to beat William
  • Options
    didn't Higgins get done for match fixing at some point, or did I dream that?

He can have all he wants on his CV, no one will ever be as good as Ronnie in full flow - bloke is a genius with a cue, would beat most players playing left handed
  • Options
    Scores on the doors after the quarter finals:
    Round winners : Paulie & Sir Clive, with 3 a piece
    50% winners: Me, MrOnelung, Stackitsteve
    1/4 - Lawrie
    Wooden spoon for the round is my namesake Johnny73

Leaderboard is shaping up nicely going into double points round:
    Me - 19
    @paulie8290 + @LawrieAbrahams - 17
    @MrOneLung @johnny73 - 16
    @Sir_Clive @stackitsteve @AddicksAddict - 14
    @Addickted - 8 - After round one withdrew
  • Options

didn't Higgins get done for match fixing at some point, or did I dream that?

He can have all he wants on his CV, no one will ever be as good as Ronnie in full flow - bloke is a genius with a cue, would beat most players playing left handed

He got a six month ban, he didn't fix any matches.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Lets clear this up Higgins never actually cheated.

He was caught in a sting operation that was totally fixed.

He was forced into a room in kiev with people he thought were like the Mafia and he said he would do or say anything to get out the room.

He was cleared off all match fixing charges when the full video was seen not just the little edited bit the news of the world showed(the full unedited video was shown at tribunal but has never been released)

His 6 month ban was for not reporting it to the snooker authorities.

Hence why Stephen Lee who was actually fixing frames got a 12 year ban
  • Options

I don't watch much snooker nowadays, but find it surprising how relatively old the main players are nowadays.

Looking at the semi line up, other than Wilson the players are aged 39, 42 and 43, and while the rankings are full of familiar names in their 30s and 40s, with only a small number of 20 somethings.

It seems weird to me when I look back on the eras of Steve Davis and Hendry who won most of their big titles in their 20s and early 30s, indeed at some point someone will surely break the record of Reardon who won the world title at 45

I think it's a bit worrying for the game that Higgins, Williams and O'Sullivan have won so much this year. Not many young players coming through.
    Gotta say I disagree as regular watcher.

Lots of decent players under 30 still but as Williams and Higgins have both said themselves, because there are so many young players coming tough, Bingtao, Haotian and Hang just to name 3 it has made them step up there game (in fact both have said they are practicing now more than the last few years)

I think the difference is atm that the older players have more experience at the later stages, but fully expect a few younger players to win some events next season
    A mate of mine who was a pro and stopped playing for a few years has gone back to playing comps because the standard has gone down. Just look how few clubs there are these days. A few years ago every town had a snooker club, some had two or three, now in South London there are hardly any. That has to have an effect on the number of kids taking the game up.
    Maybe it's also the other way round, people have less interest in playing snooker hence the number of clubs reduces.
  • Options

He was forced into a room in kiev with people he fault were like the Mafia and he said he would do or say anything to get out the room.

He was cleared off all match fixing charges when the full video was seen not just the little edited bit the news of the world showed(the full unedited video was shown at tribunal but has never been released)

I dont buy it Paulie, this is obviously his get out but we will never factually know whether this is correct. Higgins got caught before he had the chance thats why they couldn't get anything to stick like Stephen Lee, thats the difference between the two.

I used to be a Higgins fan, not so much anymore. I personally think he is as guilty as Stephen Lee , its just not proven. His version makes it seem like he was pressured, but its still not a fact.
  • Options

He was forced into a room in kiev with people he fault were like the Mafia and he said he would do or say anything to get out the room.

I dont buy it Paulie, this is obviously his get out but we will never factually know whether this is correct. Higgins got caught before he had the chance thats why they couldn't get anything to stick like Stephen Lee, thats the difference between the two.

I used to be a Higgins fan, not so much anymore. I personally think he is as guilty as Stephen Lee , its just not proven. His version makes it seem like he was pressured, but its still not a fact.
    Its not his version tho
    Read this
    http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/09/21/revealed-why-john-higgins-was-cleared-of-match-fixing-because-the-evidence-including-a-statement-from-mazher-mahmood-told-the-full-story-210901/

The clearly state upon seeing the full unedited version its clear that higgins was just trying to get out if the room.

We will probably never see the full version but the independent QC has seen it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Its not his version tho
    Read this
    http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2010/09/21/revealed-why-john-higgins-was-cleared-of-match-fixing-because-the-evidence-including-a-statement-from-mazher-mahmood-told-the-full-story-210901/

The clearly state upon seeing the full unedited version its clear that higgins was just trying to get out if the room.

We will probably never see the full version but the independent QC has seen it
    Thanks paul, i haven't read this before but i still dont think its conclusive either way. I remember at the time seeing bits of the video and didn't get the feeling he was under pressure or being threatened, i might google it later and see if i can watch back again. Again not saying he is guilty just the difference between him and Stephenleegate, also not sure i believe it still even with the QC investigating it.

There is alot of corruption legally not just in sport, i have personal experience of it ( a relation ) so you cant always take things face value even if the person investigating it has no doubts.
  • Options
    Just watched the Higgins video again as it's been a while. He looks and sounds about as relaxed as you could possibly be in a meeting and doesn't appear desperate to leave.
    Was hoping for a Judd Trump victory last night but looks as though Higgins will win the tournament now, unfortunately.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Talal said:

Just watched the Higgins video again as it's been a while. He looks and sounds about as relaxed as you could possibly be in a meeting and doesn't appear desperate to leave.
    Was hoping for a Judd Trump victory last night but looks as though Higgins will win the tournament now, unfortunately.

Have you read the article.

Video was edited by News of The World.

The unedited version was seen by the QC and has never been released to the public, it was after seeing the unedited version that he was found not guilty of match fixing.

IMO there is obviously something on the unedited version that News of The Workd didnt want to public to see, something that clears higgins that would have ruined there story.

Unfortunatly now we know the video was edited watching that version proves nothing
  • Options
    Yes I've read it and I'm still not convinced. Not quite sure why the original "unedited" video was never made available to the public if it apparently proves his innocence.
  • Options
    Exactly Talal.

if it vindicated him, why wouldn't they have got a legal judgement to make it available ?

as far as I am concerned, he was openly discussing fixing matches, whilst smiling and laughing and no sign of duress at all.
  • Options
    Why oh why did Wilson not play the pot on the brown, thereby handing Higgins the opportunity to snooker? Put him in control of the current safety exchange now.
  • Options
    World Championship
    Semi final
    1st session
    Mid session interval

John Higgins 3-1 Kyren Wilson
  • Options
    The reason Higgins isn't hailed as a genius is because most of his wins have been psychological triumphs in close games. His actual snooker doesn't have Ronnie's technical brilliance but he's a miserable grinding bastard who will psych you out. I hate him but he is a clutch player
  • Options
    World Championship
    Semi final
    First session score

John Higgins 5-3 Kyren Wilson
  • Options
    World Championship
    Semi Final
    1st session
    Mid session Interval

Barry Hawkins 3-1 Mark Williams
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Paulie cant do update... sorry cant use template as on phone in pub playing pool

The Welshman trails TheHawk147 5-3, set to resume at 2.30pm tomorrow
  • Options
    World Championship
    Semi Final
    2nd session
    Mid session Interval

John Higgins 7-5 Kyren Wilson
  • Options

World Championship
    Semi Final
    2nd session
    Mid session Interval

Glad your back, sorry the update was very brief. I was out and using my phone which is temperamental (due upgrade, barely works lol)
  • Options

I used to like Stephen Lee. That was before the match-fixing of course. Reading your post I wondered what he's doing nowadays and then I found this on Wiki. Quite pathetic...

Criminal activities
    On 9 June 2014 Lee pleaded guilty to fraud at Swindon Magistrates' Court and fined £110. Lee had sold his personal snooker cue to a Facebook fan for £1,600 but when he failed to deliver the cue the fan reported the matter to the police. Lee was also ordered to repay the £1,600 cost of the cue.

On 12 April 2018 Lee was arrested in Hong Kong following an immigration raid at a billiards hall. Lee was charged with teaching snooker without a work permit and appeared in court on April 14 where he pleaded not guilty to breaching the conditions of his tourist visa. Lee was forced to surrender his passport and has been bailed until June. If Lee is found guilty he is likely to receive a three month prison sentence.
  • Options

I used to like Stephen Lee. That was before the match-fixing of course. Reading your post I wondered what he's doing nowadays and then I found this on Wiki. Quite pathetic...

Criminal activities
    On 9 June 2014 Lee pleaded guilty to fraud at Swindon Magistrates' Court and fined £110. Lee had sold his personal snooker cue to a Facebook fan for £1,600 but when he failed to deliver the cue the fan reported the matter to the police. Lee was also ordered to repay the £1,600 cost of the cue.

On 12 April 2018 Lee was arrested in Hong Kong following an immigration raid at a billiards hall. Lee was charged with teaching snooker without a work permit and appeared in court on April 14 where he pleaded not guilty to breaching the conditions of his tourist visa. Lee was forced to surrender his passport and has been bailed until June. If Lee is found guilty he is likely to receive a three month prison sentence.
    Wow thats awful, also didn't mind him previous. How the mighty have fallen...
  • Options
    World Championship
    Semi final
    2nd session score

John Higgins 9-7 Kyren Wilson
  • Options

World Championship
    Semi Final
    2nd session
    Mid session Interval

Glad your back, sorry the update was very brief. I was out and using my phone which is temperamental (due upgrade, barely works lol)
    Thats ok
    Thanks for taking over in my absence
  • Options
    World Championship
    Semi Final
    2nd session
    Mid session Interval

Barry Hawkins 6-6 Mark Williams
  • Options
    World Championship
    Semi final
    2nd session score

Barry Hawkins 9-7 Mark Williams
  • Options
    So halfway through the semi finals and both matches are 9-7 both been brilliant matches so far and still so hard to call a winner