Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Snooker updates

Comments

• Options
    rina said:
    just astonishing, Trump was totally unplayable in that final. Higgins would've beaten anyone else today but Trump would've beaten anyone in the game's history
    Steady on. 
  • Options
    The best Crucible final in terms of excitement for me has been Dennis Taylor beating Steve Davis in 1985.

In terms of consistent quality from both players this year has to be up there with the best. Trump  hit such a consistent level of excellence over many frames it overshadowed Higgins' good play on the few occasions he was allowed out of his chair..
  • Options
    rina said:
    just astonishing, Trump was totally unplayable in that final. Higgins would've beaten anyone else today but Trump would've beaten anyone in the game's history
    Steady on. 
    The 9 frames Higgins won were with breaks of 139, 69, 74, 101, 125, 113, 59, 67, 70. This is one of the all time greats playing top quality snooker and Trump totally destroyed him. Who do you think could have beaten him? Hendry at his best would've made a match of it but I don't think I've ever seen anyone play better
  • Options
    Standard wise, the greatest world final of all time. Incredible standard.

Taylor va Davis & Hendry vs White final frame deciders were more dramatic 
  • Options

Not sure I buy that's the greatest final ever, admittedly I didn't watch as much once Trump pulled away (final day there wasn't too much drama)

Trump played very well, but also felt the commentators were a bit over the top. People saying he was unbeatable, maybe in the final but in a couple of the other rounds he was sketchy. Trump played the best snooker overall and was deserved champion, personally didn't really see him ever winning one until this year he has come on a lot, in particular beating ROS in a couple of finals which shows he has stepped up a level. Personally what I was more impressed with he was out-tacticalling the king of tactics himself. I wasn't too bothered who won in the end, Robbo v Trump would have been unbelievable but Higgins didn't recover from losing 8 frames in a row, which he could have knicked a couple of those.

Onto Q school, This world cup thing could be a bit of a farce like darts where only realistically the main nations (including China) will have a chance, I would much rather they had England A/B/C and fill it based on the strength otherwise its going to be formality personally. Although it does give lesser nations a chance which is a positive.

I personally think we are getting nearer to a Chinese world champ, within 3 years my guess. They are coming...

• Options
    rina said:
    rina said:
    Steady on. 
    The 9 frames Higgins won were with breaks of 139, 69, 74, 101, 125, 113, 59, 67, 70. This is one of the all time greats playing top quality snooker and Trump totally destroyed him. Who do you think could have beaten him? Hendry at his best would've made a match of it but I don't think I've ever seen anyone play better

If's and buts, we will never know as he pulled his 'A' Game vs Higgins, could he play that well vs anyone else? I don't think we can ever argue that, likewise if Higgins played his 'A' Game it wouldn't have been so convincing, he did play well in spots obviously but he was tactically beaten. Also missed the odd chance, again not that I expect them to mop everything up, but more to the point I feel its hard to judge would have been able to stick with Trump as he might have had less chance against others/ less table times.

Hendry/Selby matchplayers, Ronnie if buzzing, Williams would have a fair crack. Again not bitter or taking anything away as personally Trump is one of the more exciting players to watch and hopefully can become a great now he has taken that step up.

• Options

Not sure I buy that's the greatest final ever, admittedly I didn't watch as much once Trump pulled away (final day there wasn't too much drama)

Trump played very well, but also felt the commentators were a bit over the top. People saying he was unbeatable, maybe in the final but in a couple of the other rounds he was sketchy. Trump played the best snooker overall and was deserved champion, personally didn't really see him ever winning one until this year he has come on a lot, in particular beating ROS in a couple of finals which shows he has stepped up a level. Personally what I was more impressed with he was out-tacticalling the king of tactics himself. I wasn't too bothered who won in the end, Robbo v Trump would have been unbelievable but Higgins didn't recover from losing 8 frames in a row, which he could have knicked a couple of those.

Onto Q school, This world cup thing could be a bit of a farce like darts where only realistically the main nations (including China) will have a chance, I would much rather they had England A/B/C and fill it based on the strength otherwise its going to be formality personally. Although it does give lesser nations a chance which is a positive.

I personally think we are getting nearer to a Chinese world champ, within 3 years my guess. They are coming...

The Soviets and the Chinese both did it with chess (amongst other things like gymnastics), going from OK and nowhere respectively to the Olympiad gold and, in the case of the former, individual world champions from 1948 to '72 and '75 to 2000.  It's just a case of identifying talent early and the right training.

Having said that, I don't think any of the current crop we see on the tour will be world snooker champion within three years and it's a bit of a stretch for some "unknown" coming from nowhere in the next three years to world champ.  If they progress like they did at chess, though, within twenty years they'll have as many top players as GB has without necessarily having the top one.
  • Options

The Soviets and the Chinese both did it with chess (amongst other things like gymnastics), going from OK and nowhere respectively to the Olympiad gold and, in the case of the former, individual world champions from 1948 to '72 and '75 to 2000.  It's just a case of identifying talent early and the right training.

Having said that, I don't think any of the current crop we see on the tour will be world snooker champion within three years and it's a bit of a stretch for some "unknown" coming from nowhere in the next three years to world champ.  If they progress like they did at chess, though, within twenty years they'll have as many top players as GB has without necessarily having the top one.

There is plenty potential, Ding still the front runner. Yan Bingtao will have a great chance some day, but had a bad season.

Haotain (lots of potential, heard of him since he was about 14 or younger) +  Yuelong

IMO above at the moment have the best chance, although 3 years might be a bold statement. They seem to have come on a lot the last couple of years so there will be another that comes out the woodwork this season no doubt.

It should happen, just when....

• Options
    does anyone know what won shot of the tournament
    i voted for the safety in the semi final but I missed hearing the winner
  • Options
    does anyone know what won shot of the tournament
    i voted for the safety in the semi final but I missed hearing the winner
    On bbc it stated safety from Gary Wilson v Trump
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    So there we have it another season finished with extra money on the tour next year and a few names starting to make waves I am expecting some 1st time winners next season(and Hopefully Mark Selby gets a kick up his backside down to 6th now)

Tournamnet winners

Ranking Events

Riga Masters-Neil Robertson
    World Open- Mark Williams
    Paul Hunter Classic- Kyren Wilson
    China Championship- Mark Selby
    European Masters- Jimmy Robertson
    English Open-Stuart Bingham
    International Championship-Mark Allen
    Northern Ireland Open-Judd Trump
    UK Championship-Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Scottish Open- Mark Allen
    German Masters-Kyren Wilson
    World Grand Prix-Judd Trump
    Welsh Open- Neil Robertson
    Snooker Shootout- Thepchaiya-Un Nooh
    Indian Open- Matt Selt
    Players Championship- Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Gibraltar Open- Stuart Bingham
    Tour Championship- Ronnie O'Sullivan
    China Open- Neil Robertson
    World Championship- Judd Trump

Non Ranking Events

Haining Open- Mark Selby
    Shanghai Masters- Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Champion of Champions- Ronnie O'Sullivan
    The Masters- Judd Trump
    Championship League- Martin Gould

Challenge Tour Winners

Event 1- Brandon Sargeant
    Event 2- David Grace
    Event 3- Barry Pinches
    Event 4- Mitchell Mann
    Event 5- David Lilley
    Event 6- David Grace
    Event 7- Joel Walker
    Event 8- Simon Bedford
    Event 9- Adam Duffy
    Event 10- George Pragnall

Players who made more than 1 ranking final

Neil Robertson- 6 (3 Wins 3 Runner up)
    Ronnie O'Sullivan- 4 (3 Wins 1 Runner up)
    Judd Trump-3 (3 Wins 0 Runner Up)
    Mark Allen- 3 (2 Wins 1 Runner Up)
    Stuart Bingham- 3 (2 Wins 1 Runner Up)
    Kyren Wilson- 2 (2 Wins 0 Runners Up)

Ranking Titles by Country

England-13
    Australia-3
    Northern Ireland-2
    Wales-1
    Thailand-1

End of season ranking with list of players who have dropped of the tour will follow tonight
  • Options
    excellent post paulie.
    notice no player made 2 finals without winning at least 1. so no really bad unlucky losers.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    So there we have it another season finished with extra money on the tour next year and a few names starting to make waves I am expecting some 1st time winners next season(and Hopefully Mark Selby gets a kick up his backside down to 6th now)

Tournamnet winners

Ranking Events

Indian Open- Matt Selt

Non Ranking Events

Haining Open- Mark Selby
    The Masters- Judd Trump

Challenge Tour Winners

Event 2- David Grace
    Event 3- Barry Pinches
    Event 4- Mitchell Mann
    Event 5- David Lilley
    Event 6- David Grace
    Event 7- Joel Walker
    Event 8- Simon Bedford
    Event 9- Adam Duffy

England-13
    Australia-3
    Northern Ireland-2
    Wales-1
    Thailand-1

End of season ranking with list of players who have dropped of the tour will follow tonight

Good post, however you haven't said who won World 6 Reds? unless I have misread your post. I won it on my computer game so highlights its not on there and its non-ranking :P

Kyren Wilson beat Ding8-4 in the final (edited)

• Options

Tournamnet winners

Ranking Events

Indian Open- Matt Selt

Non Ranking Events

Haining Open- Mark Selby
    The Masters- Judd Trump

Challenge Tour Winners

Event 2- David Grace
    Event 3- Barry Pinches
    Event 4- Mitchell Mann
    Event 5- David Lilley
    Event 6- David Grace
    Event 7- Joel Walker
    Event 8- Simon Bedford
    Event 9- Adam Duffy

England-13
    Australia-3
    Northern Ireland-2
    Wales-1
    Thailand-1

Good post, however you haven't said who won World 6 Reds? unless I have misread your post. I won it on my computer game so highlights its not on there and its non-ranking :P

Kyren Wilson beat Ding 5-3 in the final

I didnt add any of the VE events

6 red
    Macau Master team event
    Senior 6 reds
  • Options

Tournamnet winners

Ranking Events

Indian Open- Matt Selt

Non Ranking Events

Haining Open- Mark Selby
    The Masters- Judd Trump

Challenge Tour Winners

Event 2- David Grace
    Event 3- Barry Pinches
    Event 4- Mitchell Mann
    Event 5- David Lilley
    Event 6- David Grace
    Event 7- Joel Walker
    Event 8- Simon Bedford
    Event 9- Adam Duffy

England-13
    Australia-3
    Northern Ireland-2
    Wales-1
    Thailand-1

6 red
    Macau Master team event
    Senior 6 reds

Whats VE? I wouldn't add seniors but 6 reds still had Selby/Wilson/Ding and half of the main players
  • Options

Tournamnet winners

Ranking Events

Indian Open- Matt Selt

Non Ranking Events

Haining Open- Mark Selby
    The Masters- Judd Trump

Challenge Tour Winners

Event 2- David Grace
    Event 3- Barry Pinches
    Event 4- Mitchell Mann
    Event 5- David Lilley
    Event 6- David Grace
    Event 7- Joel Walker
    Event 8- Simon Bedford
    Event 9- Adam Duffy

England-13
    Australia-3
    Northern Ireland-2
    Wales-1
    Thailand-1

6 red
    Macau Master team event
    Senior 6 reds

Whats VE? I wouldn't add seniors but 6 reds still had Selby/Wilson/Ding and half of the main players
    Variety Events

So not the normal 15 reds, Technically the shootout is a VE but as its now a ranking tournament it goes with that.

If you want 6 reds added then i will next year
  • Options

My thoughts exactly, snooker shooutout is included as its ranking. Although 6 Reds is a different format still non-ranking so could have been included.

Never heard of Variety events, but know of the others named. Up to you mate really but if its a snooker tourney and including non ranking, good to have it all :)

• Options
    Only just noticed I hadnt done the end of season rankings my apologies

END OF SEASON RANKINGS

1-Ronnie O'Sullivan
    2-Judd Trump
    3-Mark Williams
    4-Neil Robertson
    5-John Higgins
    6-Mark Selby
    7-Mark Allen
    8-Kyren Wilson
    9-Barry Hawkins
    10-Ding Junhui
    11-Jack Lisowski
    12-Dave Gilbert
    13-Stuart Bingham
    14-Shaun Murphy
    15-Luca Brecel
    16-Stephen Maguire

17-Ali Carter
    18-Ryan Day
    19-Joe Perry
    20-Gary Wilson
    21-Yan Bingtao
    22-Graeme Dott
    23-Anthony McGill
    24-Jimmy Robertson
    25-Xiao Guodonng
    26-Lyu Haotian
    27-Tom Ford
    28-Mark King
    29-Li Hang
    30-Ricky Walden
    31-Zhou Yuelong
    32-Martin Gould
    33-Mark Davis
    34-Matt Selt
    35-Scott Donaldson
    36-Robert Milkins
    37-Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    38-Noppon Saengkham
    39-Ben Woollaston
    40-Hossein Vafaei
    41-Liang Wenbo
    42-Martin O'Donnell
    43-Matthew Stevens
    44-Michael Holt
    45-Michael White
    46-Michael Georgiou
    47-Peter Ebdon
    48-Chris Wakelin
    49-Kurt Maflin
    50-Stuart Carrington
    51-Alan McManus
    52-Akani Songsermsawad
    53-Yuan Sijun
    54-Mark Joyce
    55-Marco Fu
    56-Ken Doherty
    57-Andrew Higginson
    58-Zhao Xintong
    59-Daniel Wells
    60-Robbie Williams
    61-Liam Highfield
    62-Anthony Hamilton
    63-Fergal O'Brien
    64-Mike Dunn

65-Dominic Dale
    66-Jamie Jones
    67-Eden Sharav
    68-Lu Ning
    69-Gerard Greene
    70-Ian Burns
    71-Rory McLeod
    72-Sam Craigie
    73-Alexander Ursenbacher
    74-Tian Pengfei
    75-Joe O'Connor
    76-Duane Jones
    77-Xu Si
    78-Mei Xiwen
    79-Jimmy White
    80-Zhang Yong
    81-Luo Honghao
    82-Nigel Bond
    83-Peter Lines
    84-Rod Lawler
    85-Sam Baird
    86-Craig Steadman
    87-John Astley
    88-Zhang Anda
    89-Joe Swail
    90-Robin Hull
    91-Allan Taylor
    92-Paul Davison
    93-Jak Jones
    94-Elliot Slessor
    95-Ross Muir
    96-Alfie Burden
    97-Li Yuan
    98-Oliver Lines
    99-Billy Joe Castle
    100-Chris Totten
    101-Niu Zhuang
    102-Chen Zifan
    103-Soheil Vahedi
    104-Jordan Brown
    105-Lee Walker
    106-Ashley Hugill
    107-Hamza Akbar
    108-Ashley Carty
    109-James Wattana
    110-Thor Chaun Leong
    111-Lukas Kleckers
    112-Jamie Clarke
    113-Zhang Jiankang
    114-Sanderson Lam
    115-Sean O'Sullivan
    116-Chen Feilong
    117-Harvey Chandler
    118-Kishan Hirani
    119-Hammad Miah
    120-Adam Stefanow
    121-Rhys Clark
    122-Andy Lee
    123-Fan Zhengyi
    124-Simon Lichtenberg
    125-Basem Eltahhan
  • Options
    Despite being out of the top 64 the following players remain on the tour as they are on the 2nd year of a 2 year tour card

Lu Ning
    Sam Craigie
    Tian Pengfei
    Joe O'Connor
    Mei Xiwen
    Luo Honghao
    Sam Baird
    Craig Steadman
    John Astley
    Zhang Anda
    Jak Jones
    Elliot Slessor
    Alfie Burden
    Oliver Lines
    Jordan Brown
    Lee Walker
    Ashley Carty
    James Wattana
    Thor Chuan Leong
    Jamie Clarke
    Zhang Jiankang
    Chen Feilong
    Harvey Chandler
    Kishan Hirani
    Hammad Miah
    Adam Stefanow
    Andy Lee
    Fan Zhengyi
    Simon Lichtenberg
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Despite being out of the top 64 the following players remain on the tour as they are the top 7 on the one year list(normally it would be top 8 but James Cahill was im the top 8 on the 1 year list so gets a 2 year card)

Dominic Dale
    Eden Sharav
    Gerard Greene
    Ian Burns
    Duane Jones
    Nigel Bond
    Rod Lawler

Jimmy White was given an invitational 2 year tour card
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So the following players have lost their tour spot and will need to regain at Q School

Rory McLeod
    Alexander Ursenbacher
    Xu Si
    Zhang Yong
    Peter Lines
    Joe Swail
    Robin Hull
    Allan Taylor
    Paul Davison
    Ross Muir
    Li Yuan
    Billy Joe Castle
    Chris Totten
    Niu Zhuang
    Chen Zifan
    Soheil Vahedi
    Ashley Hugill
    Hamza Akbar
    Lukas Kleckers
    Sanderson Lam
    Sean O'Sullivan
    Rhys Clark
    Basem Eltahhan
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    So as it stands the players on the tour next year are as follows

Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Judd Trump
    Mark Williams
    Neil Robertson
    John Higgins
    Mark Selby
    Mark Allen
    Kyren Wilson
    Barry Hawkins
    Ding Junhui
    Jack Lisowski
    Dave Gilbert
    Stuart Bingham
    Shaun Murphy
    Luca Brecel
    Stephen Maguire
    Ali Carter
    Ryan Day
    Joe Perry
    Gary Wilson
    Yan Bingtao
    Graeme Dott
    Anthony McGill
    Jimmy Robertson
    Xiao Guodonng
    Lyu Haotian
    Tom Ford
    Mark King
    Li Hang
    Ricky Walden
    Zhou Yuelong
    Martin Gould
    Mark Davis
    Matt Selt
    Scott Donaldson
    Robert Milkins
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Noppon Saengkham
    Ben Woollaston
    Hossein Vafaei
    Liang Wenbo
    Martin O'Donnell
    Matthew Stevens
    Michael Holt
    Michael White
    Michael Georgiou
    Peter Ebdon
    Chris Wakelin
    Kurt Maflin
    Stuart Carrington
    Alan McManus
    Akani Songsermsawad
    Yuan Sijun
    Mark Joyce
    Marco Fu
    Len Doherty
    Andrew Higginson
    Zhao Xintong
    Daniel Wells
    Robbie Williams
    Liam Highfield
    Anthony Hamilton
    Fergal O'Brien
    Mike Dunn
    Lu Ning
    Sam Craigie
    Tian Pengfei
    Joe O'Connor
    Mei Xiwen
    Luo Honghao
    Sam Baird
    Craig Steadman
    John Astley
    Zhang Anda
    Jak Jones
    Elliot Slessor
    Alfie Burden
    Oliver Lines
    Jordan Brown
    Lee Walker
    Ashley Carty
    James Wattana
    Thor Chuan Leong
    Jamie Clarke
    Zhang Jiankang
    Chen Feilong
    Harvey Chandler
    Kishan Hirani
    Hammad Miah
    Adam Stefanow
    Andy Lee
    Fan Zhengyi
    Simon Lichtenberg
    Dominic Dale
    Eden Sharav
    Gerard Greene
    Ian Burns
    Duane Jones
    Nigel Bond
    Rod Lawler
    James Cahill
    Jimmy White
    Mitchell Mann

New players on tour and how they got there
    Kacper Filipiak-EBSA European Snooker Champion
    Jackson Page-EBSA European Under 21 Champion
    Steve Mifsud-Oceania Championship Winner
    Igor Figueiredo-Pan American Championship Winner
    Chang Bingyu-CBSA China Tour
    Bai Langning-CBSA China Tour
    Brandon Sargeant-Challenge Tour
    David Grace-Challenge Tour
    Xu Si-Q School Event 1 Winner
    David Lilley-Q School Event 1 Winner
    Jamie O'Neil-Q School Event 1 Winner
    Soheil Vahedi-Q School Event 1 Winner

So thats 115 players confirmed for next season, still to come are:

4 players from Q School Event 2
    4 players from Q School Event 3
    4 players from Q School Event 4
    ABSF African Snooker Champion
  • Options
    Will do updates from Q School 2, 3 and 4 
  • Options
    Soheil Vahedi and Xu Si were on the tour last year so I wont do a write up about those, but the other 2 who have qualified from Q School 1 I will

David Lilley

David is a 43 year old from England, He is a pro player for the 1st time now, he has made 32 career centuries and his highest break is a 136 in last years Q School Event 2.

David had some sucess as an amateur player in the mid to late 90s winning the following:
    1995-EBSA European Snooker Championship
    1997-English Amateur Championship
    1999-English Amateur Championship
    2004-English Amateur Championship

He then left the game for a few years and came back in 2016 and entered Q School, he never qualified but due to finishing 17th on the order of merit and with a number of players not playing David was able to enter 2016 Indian Open, where he beat Tian Pengfei, Mike Dunn, Mark Williams and Rob Milkins before losing to Shaun Murphy in the Quarter Finals.

He entered Q School again in 2018 and finished 1st in the order of merit(he was the best player not to qualify) which meant he would be able to enter in a few events during the 18/19 season, he got to the Scottish Open 3rd Round but other than that he never got past the 2nd round.

He did however come close to earning a tour card by finishing 4th on the Challenge tour list and also losing 5-4 in the EBSA European Snooker Championship final to Kacper Filipiak.

So coming close on a few occassion I am sure David is delighted to now finally be a pro snooker player for 2019/2020 

Jamie O'Neil

Jamie is a 32 year old from Wellingborough in England.

Jamie has been a pro player before 2007/2008, 2010/2011, 2012/2013 and 2013/2014, his highest ranking was 80th in 2011, his highest break is a 113 also in 2011.

His best ranking event finish was 3rd round in the China Open.

Jamie has won 2 Amateur titles
    2003-European under 19 snooker championships
    2006-English Open
  • Options
    Cough, i believe there area few more on the tour next season following Q school 2.

Over to you @paulie8290 you do it best
  • Options
    Haha sorry meant to update this yesterday but was busy, in the harvester in Dartford right now so quickly the 4 players to qualify via Q School 2 are

Chen Zifan
    Fraser Patrick
    Louis Heathcote
    Riley Parsons

Chen Zifan was on the tour last year so no write up needed, the other 3 will do the writeup for when I get home later
  • Options
    Haha sorry meant to update this yesterday but was busy, in the harvester in Dartford right now so quickly the 4 players to qualify via Q School 2 are

Chen Zifan
    Fraser Patrick
    Louis Heathcote
    Riley Parsons

Chen Zifan was on the tour last year so no write up needed, the other 3 will do the writeup for when I get home later
    I know bud, knew you would do a good job so didn't want to put results. 
    The last one was a rank outsider and a bit of value, someone i follow on twitter had him to go through at 250/1 + 33/1 any event, Louis Hathcote rings a bell but not quite sure why maybe tipped for future or been involved? I shall eagerly await your write up, although wont be home until Sunday so doubt ill see until then  :)
  • Options
    I love this thread.  I consider myself a snooker fan but @paulie8290 your knowledge is phenomenal.  

Keep up the good work
  • Options
    Fraser Patrick

Fraser is a 33 year old from Scotland, he was a pro in 2007/2008 and from 2013 until he lost his place in 2017.

Despite being a pro for 5 years he has only made 10 centuries and has a high break of 139.

He has never got past the 3rd round of an event.

Louis Heathcote

Louis is 21 and from Leicester he has had 4 centuries and a high break of 104.

Not much else to say about Louis he has lost in the 1st round of a couple of events, The Paul Hunter Classic in 17 and Gibraltar Open in 18.

He has played on the Challenge tour but again not gonna very far in any event he has entered.

Riley Parsons

Riley is 19 and from England he has never made a century

Nothing else to say about Riley, as he has never entered anything before this year

He entered Q School 1 losing in the 2nd round, he entered Q School 2 and qualified beating former pros like Ursenbacher and Peter Linea on the way

• Options
    Great work @paulie8290 great to learn more about a sport I like to watch but wouldn't claim to have an extensive knowledge of.