Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beer

Comments

• A few decent pints up in Scotland. Belhaven and Caledonian 80s were my session beers, but if I could find it, Orkney Dark Island is my all time favourite
  • Oggy Red said:

What is it with this Doombar beer? I had never heard of it until I arrived two weeks ago, and it has been more or less omnipresent in every pub I have been in since? Not a bad drop in fairness, but it seems to have gone from nought to 100 in no time at all?

10 years ago a pint of Doom was a superb beer.
    Compared to those days something has changed - IMO now it seems bland and characterless.

Many far better brews available to tickle the taste buds.

The best beer I've had this year came from down your way, Oggy. Blue Anchor Spingo Special. Lovely!
  • I'm not that keen on beer. Not until 10am anyway.
  • Chunes said:

Friend of mine recently opened a bar/restaurant that has 25 beers from American microbreweries all on tap. They're amazing, I never knew that scene even existed. Great White Shark and Kona probably the best of the bunch.

Also always liked that pub in Greenwich that brews its own beers. Think it's called The Union?

Great shout re the yank beers. Went to a microbrewery in Boulder, Colorado a few years back and was amazed how good (and how strong) the ale was. Well, those I can remember...
  • Was in Austin, Texas, in Sept and drank nothing but 'locally brewed' beer for the week...a couple of the bars had over 100 different local beers on tap....micro brewing is huge in the US and I love it... Think that Off_it is being unfair to the Union up there ^^^^.. Meantime brew some great beers (London Pale Ale and Yakima Red being my favourite) and the pub is fine for a '40 something' like myself...altho maybe Off_it is a 50 something? In which case I can see the appeal of next door (a place I also like btw!)... ;-)
  • Curb_It said:

The Hopstuff Brewery is a new microbrewery which has just opened on the Arsenal Development. I think you can now get there beers in a few Greenwich pubs.

https://www.facebook.com/hopstufflondon

Yes, good stuff produced by Strasbourgaddick and his team. Been to the Old Loyal Britons before the last 2 home games.
  • Was in Austin, Texas, in Sept and drank nothing but 'locally brewed' beer for the week...a couple of the bars had over 100 different local beers on tap....micro brewing is huge in the US and I love it... Think that Off_it is being unfair to the Union up there ^^^^.. Meantime brew some great beers (London Pale Ale and Yakima Red being my favourite) and the pub is fine for a '40 something' like myself...altho maybe Off_it is a 50 something? In which case I can see the appeal of next door (a place I also like btw!)... ;-)

Ha ha. Whatever floats your boat mate, but I wouldn't set foot in there again - not when there's one of my favourite boozers immediately next door anyway!
  • Stig said:

Oggy Red said:

What is it with this Doombar beer? I had never heard of it until I arrived two weeks ago, and it has been more or less omnipresent in every pub I have been in since? Not a bad drop in fairness, but it seems to have gone from nought to 100 in no time at all?

Compared to those days something has changed - IMO now it seems bland and characterless.

The best beer I've had this year came from down your way, Oggy. Blue Anchor Spingo Special. Lovely!
    That's a great pub...The Blue Anchor.
  • edited December 2013
    Off_it said:

Was in Austin, Texas, in Sept and drank nothing but 'locally brewed' beer for the week...a couple of the bars had over 100 different local beers on tap....micro brewing is huge in the US and I love it... Think that Off_it is being unfair to the Union up there ^^^^.. Meantime brew some great beers (London Pale Ale and Yakima Red being my favourite) and the pub is fine for a '40 something' like myself...altho maybe Off_it is a 50 something? In which case I can see the appeal of next door (a place I also like btw!)... ;-)

Ha ha. Whatever floats your boat mate, but I wouldn't set foot in there again - not when there's one of my favourite boozers immediately next door anyway!
    Both good pubs to be fair also like the one just up from there to....can't recall it's name though.
  • Stig said:

Oggy Red said:

Stig said:

Oggy Red said:

That's a great pub...The Blue Anchor.
    Ah yes, the Blue Anchor in Coinagehall Street, Helston - sink five pints of Spingo Special and then try your hand at rowing a boat on the lake in the park. On the subject of US micro-brews, like many other things American, they aren't exactly subtle - the flavours and strength can be strident and aggressive. A few years ago I got chatting to an American brewer in the Hop Leaf in Chicago, and recommended to him the subtle balance of malt and hops in beers like Fuller's Chiswick Bitter and Marston's EPA - and he admitted he often came to England because he prefers our ales.

• Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:

Was in Austin, Texas, in Sept and drank nothing but 'locally brewed' beer for the week...a couple of the bars had over 100 different local beers on tap....micro brewing is huge in the US and I love it... Think that Off_it is being unfair to the Union up there ^^^^.. Meantime brew some great beers (London Pale Ale and Yakima Red being my favourite) and the pub is fine for a '40 something' like myself...altho maybe Off_it is a 50 something? In which case I can see the appeal of next door (a place I also like btw!)... ;-)

Both good pubs to be fair also like the one just up from there to....can't recall it's name though.
    The Prince I think it's now called. (formerly the Prince Albert?). Possibly appealing to a certain clientele.
  • Off_it said:

The Prince I think it's now called. (formerly the Prince Albert?). Possibly appealing to a certain clientele.
    Indeed, inexplicably renamed the Prince of Greenwich. I used to live directly opposite: the Albert was a warmly convivial gig with a mixed crowd of punters playing darts and watching football on the small screen. It has taken over from the Rose & Crown (next to the Greenwich Theatre) as the centre of the local gay scene.

• edited December 2013

Off_it said:

Indeed, inexplicably renamed the Prince of Greenwich. I used to live directly opposite: the Albert was a warmly convivial gig with a mixed crowd of punters playing darts and watching football on the small screen. It has taken over from the Rose & Crown (next to the Greenwich Theatre) as the centre of the local gay scene.

The Prince Albert used to be mine and CHG's pub of choice before home games. Was great for a game of darts a bit of football and decent beer.
  • Off_it said:

Yes that used to be OK but I meant the one further on...The Barley Mow?
  • Off_it said:

I think the one you're talking about is now a restaurant.
  • Off_it said:

I recently suggested this pub to a mate as a place to kick start a bit of pub crawl around Greenwich, not knowing it had changed (honest guv). He wasn't best pleased with my suggestion, getting there before me and realising the sort of place he was in. Especially as he said he pranced in with is umbrella.
  • Off_it said:

Off_it said:

I think the one you're talking about is now a restaurant.
    Indeed, the Barley Mow, on the corner of Point Hill - used to be a traditional Whitbread house with songs round the old Joanna on Saturday nights. Now 'The Hill', a Mediterranean restaurant with a small bar area at the front and - last time I looked - Adnams on handpump.

• Off_it said:

I recently suggested this pub to a mate as a place to kick start a bit of pub crawl around Greenwich, not knowing it had changed (honest guv). He wasn't best pleased with my suggestion, getting there before me and realising the sort of place he was in. Especially as he said he pranced in with is umbrella.
    What a bummer :-)
  • Got a few over for Christmas and was thinking of getting a polypin.
    Does anyone know a good ale available within 15 mile radius of bexley?
  • anyone tried Iron Maidens beer? have a bottle on the go now, pretty good...
  • Sponsored links:

• Ghost Ship is my tipple of choice at the moment.

Same here! Its a great beer!

Take a trip down to Lewes and pick up some Harveys bitter.
    You won't find anything better locally.

The Bitter End, Masons Hill, Bromley.

They are a little pricey but have a virtual monopoly in SE London. Run by two great blokes, real enthusiasts. You can buy from a pint to a firkin there. If you want something specific though you'll need to be quick.
  • Ghost Ship is my tipple of choice at the moment.

Same here! Its a great beer!
    They've just stopped Ghost Ship in my local and reverted to Old Speckled Hen. I'm not sorry.

Brother-in-law uses Millis Brewery, Dartford (or just south of Dartford), Dartford Wobbler and Gravesend Guzzerler arn't to bad ales.

Take a trip down to Lewes and pick up some Harveys bitter.
    You won't find anything better locally.
    Harveys deliver polypins I think

• I'm currently working my way through Roger Protz' book 300 beers to try before you die (I've had 68 so far). I'm trying to locate a Brazilian called Xingu Black Beer. I thought my best bet was to look on their website for a lead. On there, there is a world map showing suppliers. I zoomed in on South East England and saw that the map had been marked with eight little beer bottle icons, six in London and two in Essex. I clicked on one at random and guess what it said: Charlton Athletic Football Club.

Is someone having a joke with me? Does the internet think that I have no interest in things that aren't labelled "Charlton"? Or perhaps, is Xingu available at the Club? Has anyone ever seen it in one of the suites?
  • Beer Festival here in Albufeira 26th to 29th June, about five minutes walk from my house and in the middle of the world cup... Don't mind if I do! :-)
  • Are there any decent Portuguese beers Algarve? I'm quite happy with a drop of Sagres or Super Bock when the sun shines, but it's all a bit lagery for me.
  • I'd like to see us follow the lead of our forward thinking cousins ;-)

http://www.ratebeer.com/event/24626/