Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options

For anyone that way inclined, I'm told there is a micro pub similar to The Door Hinge, openning in Westmount Rd Eltham in the very near future.

That's correct. It's gonna be called The Long Pond and you're sure to receive a warm welcome as the owner is a Charlton fan.
    Opening night not yet decided, but I'll put a note up when confirmed.

Is it going to be in the shop that used to be the plumbers?

I believe so.

Yes it is that shop

My sister knows the owner and thinks he posts on here.

>

For anyone that way inclined, I'm told there is a micro pub similar to The Door Hinge, openning in Westmount Rd Eltham in the very near future.

That's correct. It's gonna be called The Long Pond and you're sure to receive a warm welcome as the owner is a Charlton fan. 
    Opening night not yet decided, but I'll put a note up when confirmed.

Is it going to be in the shop that used to be the plumbers?

I believe so.

He used to but too busy now he tells me. Hopes to be open by the end of November.

Keep us posted, please. So looking forward to this. Micro pub serving decent ales, run by a Charlton fan, staggering distance from my Mum's house.. can't wait.
  • Options
    He's not really a proper Charlton fan as such, more of a sympathiser!
  • Options
    Sad news for proper beer drinkers; The landlady at The Harp in Chandos Place has finally decided to retire and is selling the pub to Fullers.

No more Dark Star pale ale among others and gone the proper cider and Perry poured from polypins. A real pub with beautifully kept beer and probably the best bar staff -all women- in the west end...

Genuinely saddened by this.
  • Options
    Ha, please don't tell me Chirpy is opening a boozer ! Quality !!

That's made my morning :-)
  • Options

Ha, please don't tell me Chirpy is opening a boozer ! Quality !!

That's made my morning :-)

Omg... He did mention it a while back.
  • Options
    I've just had to re read this thread. Hmmm.

Anyway a good friend is opening a doggie parlour on Westmount Road shortly so you guys can drop your poodles in and have a pint while waiting.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Sad news for proper beer drinkers; The landlady at The Harp in Chandos Place has finally decided to retire and is selling the pub to Fullers.

No more Dark Star pale ale among others and gone the proper cider and Perry poured from polypins. A real pub with beautifully kept beer and probably the best bar staff -all women- in the west end...

Genuinely saddened by this.

not to mention Hophead, I hope Fullers treat this gem of a pub with respect

• Options
    Very sorry to hear about the Harp, which is a very fine pub. Much as I like London Pride, Fullers is becoming very acquisitive (and expensive) and I suspect that the demise of Youngs has put them in too dominant a position.
  • Options
    Fullers are not bad guys. It was Binnie's decision to resign. Fullers or Fuller, Smith and Turner to give them their full name, are massive but still remain an independent family business. There are currently two Turners and one Fuller on the board. Their beer is excellent and only brewed in Chiswick.
    As for the demise of Youngs, well that is so sad, great beers that we will never taste again.
    However the future of beer, in particular cask conditioned ale, has never been brighter. Cask conditioned ale now outsells all other types (keg and bottled) in UK pubs. The growth of new breweries, many of them very small ones or Microbreweries, is quite remarkable. This has lead to an amazing explosion in Micropubs in the last two years. Micropubs are the future and we are very lucky to have some of these brilliant venues in and around SE London: The Door Hinge, Welling; One Inn the Wood, Petts Wood; The Penny Farthing, Crayford and soon we will also have The Broken Drum in Blackfen and The Long Pond in Eltham.
    There are something like 4,000 independent ales currently being brewed in the UK and you'll find your local Micropub offering a constantly changing range. Some you know and some you won't have heard of.
    I've not been on here for a while as I have really been very busy. I'd like to thank my son (Nomadic) for keeping people informed and my friends for their comments.
    I'm won't use this site to advertise but if anyone is genuinely interested in my project then please inbox me or you can find me on twitter.
    Please see the two articles I have attached from this months CAMRA newspaper which give some amazing stats and facts about the beer situation in this country.

Regards to all,

Mike Wren, Chirpy, DJ DaveyDave, CliveG, Riviera (I think that's all of them!)
  • Options
    Mate, you're more than welcome to advertise on here, you're part of the fixtures and furnishings and hopefully we all help out our own.

All the very best luck to you pal, look forward to the opening night and ordering a Fosters :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Fullers are not bad guys. It was Binnie's decision to resign. Fullers or Fuller, Smith and Turner to give them their full name, are massive but still remain an independent family business. There are currently two Turners and one Fuller on the board. Their beer is excellent and only brewed in Chiswick.
    As for the demise of Youngs, well that is so sad, great beers that we will never taste again.
    However the future of beer, in particular cask conditioned ale, has never been brighter. Cask conditioned ale now outsells all other types (keg and bottled) in UK pubs. The growth of new breweries, many of them very small ones or Microbreweries, is quite remarkable. This has lead to an amazing explosion in Micropubs in the last two years. Micropubs are the future and we are very lucky to have some of these brilliant venues in and around SE London: The Door Hinge, Welling; One Inn the Wood, Petts Wood; The Penny Farthing, Crayford and soon we will also have The Broken Drum in Blackfen and The Long Pond in Eltham.
    There are something like 4,000 independent ales currently being brewed in the UK and you'll find your local Micropub offering a constantly changing range. Some you know and some you won't have heard of.
    I've not been on here for a while as I have really been very busy. I'd like to thank my son (Nomadic) for keeping people informed and my friends for their comments.
    I'm won't use this site to advertise but if anyone is genuinely interested in my project then please inbox me or you can find me on twitter.
    Please see the two articles I have attached from this months CAMRA newspaper which give some amazing stats and facts about the beer situation in this country.

Regards to all,

Bloody hell - I thought you were dead!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Regards to all,

Sorry, who are you?

• Options
    Concerned to read that Binnie is selling the Harp - definitely one of the best, if not THE best boozer in London. The beer was always great, but so were the sausages. I must make a pilgrimage there as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Concerned to read that Binnie is selling the Harp - definitely one of the best, if not THE best boozer in London. The beer was always great, but so were the sausages. I must make a pilgrimage there as soon as possible.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Anyway a good friend is opening a doggie parlour on Westmount Road shortly so you guys can drop your poodles in and have a pint while waiting.

Turns out she is a neighbour of my sister too. Hotbed of enterprise, that corner of Glenesk Road:-)

Got to be good to see people investing in Westmount Road. The baker has managed to make a living there since I was a kid, so it must have something going for it
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Saga Lout said:

Cheers. Looks Like I missed my last chance for a pint with Binnie in charge. Fullers say they're not going to change things - hope they don't.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

Turns out she is a neighbour of my sister too. Hotbed of enterprise, that corner of Glenesk Road:-)

Got to be good to see people investing in Westmount Road. The baker has managed to make a living there since I was a kid, so it must have something going for it
    That's funny. Yes I think her hubby knows the new landlord.
    I shall definitely be making a trip up there.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Curb_It said:

That's funny. Yes I think her hubby knows the new landlord.

He does, they used to play bad golf together.
  • Options
    It's unfortunate that because of their lack of history, many micropubs have all the atmosphere of a minicab office. Microbreweries are a mixed bunch; the Brockley beer I had recently in the Lost Hour in Greenwich was so cloyingly malty as to be undrinkable. One of the qualities of established breweries such as Fuller's, discussed by Riviera above, is that their beers are reliably consistent: the London Pride and ESB in the Pilot, the only Fuller's tied house in Greenwich, are always served in top nick.

The pub is at the end of a terrace of cottages built in 1802 on the peninsula, five minutes' walk from the 02 arena; these distinctive brick cottages feature in the Blur video of 'Parklife'. Greenwich will get its second Fuller's house next year when a riverside pub opens at the foot of an apartment block on New Capital Quay, near to the mouth of Deptford Creek.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The success of a pub is reliant on well kept beer but there is an even more important factor and that is the quality of the Landlord.
  • Options
    @Viewfinder‌

Thats an interesting first sentence. I haven't been in an English micropub yet, but I can see what you're getting at.

Not that I'm any kind of expert, but isn't the beer in top nick because the landlord keeps the pipes clean and there is a good turnover of beer? Thats why you never want to drink Czech beer in a Prague pub owned by Irish or Brits. Apart from the fact that you pay twice as much, while watching Charlton lose on TV:-(
  • Options
    I've not been to that many Micropubs but the two that I have frequented the most, The Tankerton Arms and The One Inn the Wood have more atmosphere than I have experienced in years in traditional pubs.
  • Options
    @Riviera‌ when you hoping to open mate?
  • Options

@Viewfinder‌

Thats an interesting first sentence. I haven't been in an English micropub yet, but I can see what you're getting at.

Not that I'm any kind of expert, but isn't the beer in top nick because the landlord keeps the pipes clean and there is a good turnover of beer? Thats why you never want to drink Czech beer in a Prague pub owned by Irish or Brits. Apart from the fact that you pay twice as much, while watching Charlton lose on TV:-(

You've got it: the basics of good cellarmanship are hardly rocket science and include clean pipes, controlled temperature (real ale served warm or ice-cold affects the taste), and allowing sufficient time in the cellar - usually two or three days after delivery from the brewery - for secondary fermentation to take place before serving. The temperature is important; pubs in the Cask Marque scheme, indicated by a sign outside featuring a blue handpump, have their cellar temperature strictly monitored; all Wetherspoon pubs are Cask Marque.

The Fuller's London Pride in the Pride of Spitalfields pub in Heneage Street, just off Brick Lane in Spitalfields, is always in top form; there is a depth of flavour that transcends many others. I once remarked on this to the barmaid, and she directed me to the cellarman, a smiling elderly gent happily supping the brew he had looked after. I asked what was his secret - and he mentioned clean pipes and patience while secondary fermentation is taking place.

I haven't yet had the pleasure of Prague, and your tip about bars there is a good one. My knowledge of Czech beers is so far limited to the tasty Pilsner Urquell available in London in bottles and in a few outlets on draught...

• Options
    edited September 2014
    @Viewfinder‌

PU is a great beer, but inevitably it won't be anywhere near as good over there. I had one on draught at the Czech House during London 2012. The innovation here in the last few years is "beer from the tank". The pub looks like it might be a microbrewery with its huge copper tank but it is just a storage facility which means the beer is delivered unpasteurised. Somehow the taste lingers on your palate longer, which is a real bastard because you want to order another one just for the taste. And unlike in London you don't have to go to the bar because the smiling and increasingly gorgeous waitress has already brought you the next one without you asking.

But I'm still looking forward to @Riviera s micro pub.

and thats a nice story about the the cellar man in Spitalfields.
  • Options
    No pipes in Micropubs! Straight from the cask and poured using simple, good old gravity. I recently completed my Cask Marque Cellar Management course, at the Griffin Brewery, Chiswick!
    Too many modern pubs run down their ales during a session and don't change the beer or even replace with the same ale. Micropubs have the casks racked, vented, conditioned and tapped ready for immediate use when required.
  • Options
    Good article, and liking the stubble! Looks like I'll be bringing my Fosters cans from the offy, so let me know the corkage charge :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Good article, and liking the stubble! Looks like I'll be bringing my Fosters cans from the offy, so let me know the corkage charge :-)

You just cannot drop the lager can you? Although I bet you have!

I assure you and all other non-believers that the range of cask conditioned ales available these days is so vast that there really is something for everyone.
    The two myths about Real Ale are that it is warm and flat. We'll believe me those two statements could not be further from the truth. Cask conditioned ale is a live living product, everyday keg lager is not. Although of course there are cask conditioned lagers available too.
    The beer produced by modern microbreweries like our local, Hopstuff in Woowich is very popular with young people, male and female. The days of real ale being just for fat, middle aged, beardy trainspotters are over, although those chaps are more than welcome in The Long Pond along with everyone else.