Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Beer Festival at Welling United Friday 14th if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    Thanks VF, very interesting. I wonder what happened to the Lord Nelson, it seemed to be in the middle of nowhere with only some old barges for company!
  • Options
    March51 said:

Thanks VF, very interesting. I wonder what happened to the Lord Nelson, it seemed to be in the middle of nowhere with only some old barges for company!

March51 - I think you'll be interested in this film location website: http://www.reelstreets.com/index.php/component/films/?task=view&id=572&film_ref=long_memory&limitstart=0

I gather you were watching 'The Long Memory'; note the four pages of film location stills around Tower Bridge and Gravesend. You can roll over some of the images to see - with horror - what the locations look like now. Image no. 30 shows your Style & Winch pub, the Lord Nelson; apparently it was at Iwade, on the south side of the old Sheppey bridge.

• Options
    March51 - Two more photos of the Lord Nelson here: http://www.dover-kent.com/2014-project/Lord-Nelson-Iwade.html
  • Options
    Thanks again VF, I'll have a good look at everything tomorrow : I imagine there have been a few changes since I wandered the back streets of G'end , puffing through a packet of 5 Weights in the school lunch hour with a couple of chums. But the old place certainly seemed to have a lot of pubs n those days,
  • Options
    Badger said:

Beer Festival at Welling United Friday 14th if anyone is interested.

Yes I'm going. Look out for my advert in the programme.
  • Options
    @Riviera‌

Any update on your opening date?
  • Options
    Hoping for first weekend in December but everything has to be 100%. I won't open until everything is absolutely spot on.
  • Options
    Riviera, do you have a website?

Good luck with it all by the way, sounds like a great venture.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

lolwray said:

i had the misfortune to meet up with someone at the "hole in the wall" at waterloo on friday evening ...back in the 70s it was a lovely real ale pub with fullers,waddingtons,theakstones etc on tap ...now its a hell hole ...why and where did it all go wrong ?

In the 70s.....40 or so years ago?

Lots of things did well in the 70s - miners, Jimmy Savile, Liverpool FC.

All long gone.
    yes but this thread is about beer !

• Sponsored links:

• Options

the for sale sign is up now on the Sun in The Sands

That's handy. Could do with another African church.
  • Options
    I just love beer
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Hoping for first weekend in December but everything has to be 100%. I won't open until everything is absolutely spot on.

If you get to 21st December and are still not sure, how about a "soft launch"? my family and any other Lifers who promise on here to only write good things about it

:-)

• Options
    red_murph said:

Riviera, do you have a website?

Good luck with it all by the way, sounds like a great venture.

It's still under construction www.thelongpond.co.uk

We're on FB and twitter @thelongpond

• Options
    Anyone know anything about Glouster Brewery ? I'm doing a limited edition label for them real soon

• Options
    Anyone gone to this years Medway Beer Fest? Never been and I wondered if it is worth a visit? I think that today is the last day.
  • Options
    Went to Welling yesterday, very well organised and attendance was well up on last year. Excellent range of beers, never heard of any of them; which is how a beer fest should be.
  • Options
    Went for a pint (or 3) in the Lyric pub, Soho (Great Windmill St I think) last night after being recommended...one word: awesome. Best selection of craft beer I've seen in one place for a while (apart from the Craft Beer Co pubs - I work opposite the one on Endell St)...reasonable prices, great location and room to move/get a bar stool...loved it and will be back... Had a couple of pints of Thornbridge Chiron (American Pale Ale) which was superb.. Opposite a 'Be At One' which was packed full of the Ted Baker crew...don't understand it myself but then guess I am getting old...
  • Options
    Loving this thread. For a few months now I've been brewing with Hillside Brewery at Longhope in Gloucestershire. Check us out at www.hillsidebrewery.com. If anyone is in the area midweek you can drop in anytime.
  • Options
    Shame we couldn't put on a Charlton beer fest at the Valley. With Guest addick IPA brewed by Killar and raise some money for a good cause.

Seems to be enough beer drinkers on here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IAgree said:

Shame we couldn't put on a Charlton beer fest at the Valley. With Guest addick IPA brewed by Killar and raise some money for a good cause.

Seems to be enough beer drinkers on here!

Indeed. I'm rather partial to a decent pint of lager shandy.
  • Options
    Interesting developments today regarding Tied Landlords.
    Could see the rise of wholesalers again and more choice in the pubs.

From The Guardian politics blog
    ''Ministers have lost a vote on pubs after Lib Dem and Tory rebels united with Labour to back a proposal to loosen the control of pub companies over pub landlords.''
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Interesting developments today regarding Tied Landlords.
    Could see the rise of wholesalers again and more choice in the pubs.

From The Guardian politics blog
    ''Ministers have lost a vote on pubs after Lib Dem and Tory rebels united with Labour to back a proposal to loosen the control of pub companies over pub landlords.''

Brilliant news

• Options
    I had a pint of (Green King) Noble English Craft Lager yesterday - very nice
  • Options
    Any news on the opening @Riviera‌
  • Options

Any news on the opening @Riviera‌

Hoping for first weekend in Dec but if not certainly second one, 12th.
  • Options
    Excellent. I have already got two groups of mates interested in coming. Cant wait.
  • Options
    I don't drink very much but had some Blandford Flyer (Badger Ales) down in Dorset last weekend. Really lovely stuff.
  • Options
    Just on my way back from brewery tour of Harvey's in Lewes. Cracking range of beers, and worth the 2 hrs seeing how it's made before sampling!
  • Options

Just on my way back from brewery tour of Harvey's in Lewes. Cracking range of beers, and worth the 2 hrs seeing how it's made before sampling!

The King of real ale brewers.