Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options

PopIcon said:

Stig said:

Brewing conglomerates, putting the 'con' in continental.

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/5-big-companies-control-worlds-beer/

Odd that Asahi Breweries isn't on the list. They have a huge market share.
    Went on a tour of Meantime today. Didn't realise they had been bought by Asaahi 2 year ago.
    Sold to Miller in 2015 before Asahi got their mits on it.
  • Options
    Tonight is the first night of one of my locals sour beer week.

If anyone is a fan of sour/wild beers, they are making some excellent stuff in the States today. Up there with the best Belgian beers.

The first two tonight - Hudson Valley Eveningland and Trillium Orange Muscat Lineage Rye were excellent
  • Options
    Where is your local pub? Trillium beer is near impossible to get in the UK.
  • Options
    I’m in Somerville (Boston). We’ve got one bar that almost always has one or two Trilliums on tap. Five minutes walk from my house.
  • Options
    Just on Trillium, there aren’t a lot of bars that stock their stuff. You really need to get down to the brewery to taste and buy the current releases. Fortunately that’s only a 30 minute drive, but at the weekend the place can be mobbed.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

I’m in Somerville (Boston). We’ve got one bar that almost always has one or two Trilliums on tap. Five minutes walk from my house.

I was in Boston not so long ago, it is not bad at all for beer lovers.
    The harpoon IPA was exceptional (even at Fenway where it cost an arm & a leg) but I have been hunting it down in GB ever since with no joy.
    Had an ale down in Jamaica plain which was brewed locally, I forget the name but it didn't half pack a punch.
    Also a few from our group visited the Sam Adams brewery which received rave reviews.

• Options
    Trillium sounds great, I'll have to stop off in Boston. What's the name of your local Somerville?

Caught up with a friend last week in Cambridge and I brought up a Rodenbach Vintage, Lindeman's Gueze and an Orval. The first two were awesome, though I made the mistake of letting him poor the Rodenbach vintage. He managed to get all the flakey sediment in both glasses! I've tried Orval twice now, one aged and one brewed this year. Not that impressed, the aged one tasted like soda water beer. Compared to most Trappist beers I could drink it again but I got no interesting Brett notes, just a little sour taste to counteract the almost soda pop bubbles.

We went to the Cambridge Blue Pub, which had an awe inspiring 4 fridges of European beers, with a great selection of sours. On tap they had some dark lagers, that were pretty good. Shame Cambridge aren't in L1:

http://cambridge.pub/the-blue/
  • Options
    Just seen in the Fail that Heineken are investing £40m in Beavertown Brewery. Interesting. Also didn't realise it was founded by Robert Plant's son
  • Options

How much is a pint of Trillium? I was drinking beer from the Kernal(I'm my opinion the best brewery in London) last night and it was £5.60 for pint of quality pale. Their IPA is about a quid more.
  • Options
    So many questions.

I live in Davis Square, Somerville. There are a bunch of good beer bars. Five Horses is the only one that regularly has Trillium. They had three on last night. Other decent bars in the Square - Rosebud, Foundry, Redbones and Flatbread. I should say they are not pubs, they all sell food and have restaurant seating. But they have no issue with people just drinking at the bar, and the bar areas are pretty big.

How much for Trillium. Assuming it’s one of their regular IPAs. Around $5 for a 16oz can from the Brewery. Draft, around $9, but that will probably just get you 12oz. I’ve seen $12+ for a 10oz for some of their specials.

Craft beer is not cheap in this part of the world.

And in case the was any confusion, that’s Boston, Massachusetts.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As the CO2 crisis continues, it's looking like I'm going to have to get back on the home brew. My local shop has run out of lager and lager drinkers have switched to proper beers as a result.

Oi lager boys, get your filthy hands off our ales, they're too tasty for you!
  • Options
    How good is beer?

I might tip in a few while watching England tonight
  • Options
    A mob turned up in my boozer yesterday after they had visited the Bromley Beer Festival.

They were a proper bunch of weirdos. They. All looked like they had been taking part in a Time Team dig.
  • Options
    This lovely hot summer has taught me that putting bottles of Hobgoblin in the fridge isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • Options
    Popped in The Hangar, Sidcup's latest micropub.

Nice place, smartly done out, run by a nice local couple. Excellent, mostly Kentish, beer on cask & keg (I had Pig & Porter Temporary Truth - lovely citrusy pale). Nice aspect out the window. Recommended.
  • Options
    The IPA @Stig ?

Drinking Innis and Gunn mangoes on the run and gunpowder ipa last night
  • Options
    Stig said:

This lovely hot summer has taught me that putting bottles of Hobgoblin in the fridge isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I put all of my ales in the fridge- don’t care if it’s not the done thing.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Stig said:

I put all of my ales in the fridge- don’t care if it’s not the done thing.
    Absolutely. Do whatever suits your taste. Hate beer snobs.
  • Options
    Sharps Atlantic pale ale, ice cold lovely
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Vincenzo said:

Popped in The Hangar, Sidcup's latest micropub.

Nice place, smartly done out, run by a nice local couple. Excellent, mostly Kentish, beer on cask & keg (I had Pig & Porter Temporary Truth - lovely citrusy pale). Nice aspect out the window. Recommended.

I went there a few weeks ago - liked it too. Then went to the tapas place next door, which was packed! Great that Sidcup/surrounding area is getting more decent places to drink good beer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Getting warmed up for the match at home with this delicious can. Also got one of each of Pressure Drop, Siren Craft and Gypsy Hill in the fridge.
  • Options
    Finished the last of my Cloudwater & The Veil Brewing 'Chubbles' this evening whilst watching the match...absolutely beautiful but weighing in at 10% abv, you only need the one (or so....).
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Local brewer Hopstuff look set to open their 4th Taproom, the latest addition in Greenwich.
    That looks like new unit along from Cutty sark pub, if so, looking out on the river with a few pints of the renegade IPA not bad at all.
  • Options
    Probably a bit out of the way for most, has anyone been to the Gidea Park Micropub Tap Room ?
  • Options
    It’s National IPA Day, or so they tell me. Quietly celebrating at Fox Farm Brewery with a glass of their excellent Tangle.
  • Options
    I'm a fan of the Maldon brewery "Mighty Oak". They do an excellent mild called Oscar Wilde, and yesterday had a couple of pints of the excellent Whirligig
  • Options
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I'm a fan of the Maldon brewery "Mighty Oak". They do an excellent mild called Oscar Wilde, and yesterday had a couple of pints of the excellent Whirligig

Been to their tap room, good stuff from memory
  • Options
    St Peters Crafted Black IPA. Fantastic!!!