Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    Sat at home with a mixed case from Verdant Brewery....bloomin lovely...
  • Options

Not drunk in here before so looking forward to a quick one here before retiring to the balcony for a few indoors(too hot to be around 400 bodies in the Bromley S Wspoons).  Unfortunately I'd already bought my drink when I saw the sticker.

Bromley is smothered with these f****** things.
    PTID?

Look at the badge as a clue
  • Options
    Sitting in a pub in Shirley, The Sunrise. Nice beer  ( a couple of Westerham ales ) but completely spoilt by being full of Palace Memorabilia  :#
    I'd walk out.
  • Options
    On the Leffe Blonde, 2 660ml for £5 from Tescos, it breaks you in nicely for the weekend.

The Belgians need to learn how to run a football club, as for their sherbert they deserve a gold medal.
  • Options

A poor mans Leffe Blonde, but still slides down very well.

6 of these before a game would not be a good idea.
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Will be at the Hastings beer festival this eve ..
    Unfortunately can't make it this year.
    I didn't realise it was more music than beer ...people allowed to bring in their own alcohol which defeated the whole object...
  • Options

Not drunk in here before so looking forward to a quick one here before retiring to the balcony for a few indoors(too hot to be around 400 bodies in the Bromley S Wspoons).  Unfortunately I'd already bought my drink when I saw the sticker.

PTID?
    Text speak for pitied. 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    lolwray said:
    Will be at the Hastings beer festival this eve ..
    Unfortunately can't make it this year.
    I didn't realise it was more music than beer ...people allowed to bring in their own alcohol which defeated the whole object...
    Haven't been for a couple of years but can't recall people doing that....still I guess it cuts down on the crowds at the bar.
  • Options
    This is a loverly pint....

• Options

PTID?

Palace Till I Die
    And yes Bromley has been smothered with the crap lately
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019

PTID?

Palace Till I Die
    We are too civilised to do things like this, palice are better supported in the Bromley area methinks.
  • Options

PTID?

Palace Till I Die
    We are too civilised to do things like this, palice are better supported.
    I did notice a road near Trinity Roundabout,  in Shirley.The street sign had been covered in CAFC graffitti and was called Valley Walk. It made me smile
  • Options

And another one gone. Molson Coors acquires Hop Stuff.

From 853London blog: Founder James Yeomans: “In Molson Coors we’ve found a partner who believes wholeheartedly that craft beer should be accessible, inclusive and of exceptionally high and consistent quality"....“I would completely understand if you wanted to wash your hands of us, but I very much hope that you don’t."

https://853london.com/2019/07/12/hop-stuff-brewery-sells-out-to-carling-owner-and-leaves-local-investors-with-nothing/
    Not a great loss, but a sign of a concerning trend. The superior Magic Rock and Beavertown having previously been sold
  • Options
    @SomervilleAddick had some fantastic beers from New York breweries, Equilibrium, Hudson Valley, Finback and Other Half, great beers 
  • Options
    Thankfully the corps only seem interested in those independents that sell overpriced, over-hopped 'craft' offerings in brightly coloured cans that can be churned out cheaply, transported easily and sold on with whopping margins. The ones to worry about are those breweries producing real ales where the quality would really suffer if the big boys got their hands on them. Hopefully, it's a market that remains tricky for them to do well in.
  • Options
    There are certainly some breweries making easy money from average craft beer. But there are a lot of craft breweries now using costly ingredients to make great beers, with a range not made in the UK previously. 
    Both craft and real ale are threatened by the big companies.
    As someone who drinks real ale and craft beer, there are certainly some very good real ales but the great beers at the moment are from the craft market. Willingness to spend on ingredients, collaborate and innovate has seen the craft market set the bench mark for beer. All of which are potentially threatened by being taken over by the big companies.
  • Options

And another one gone. Molson Coors acquires Hop Stuff.

From 853London blog: Founder James Yeomans: “In Molson Coors we’ve found a partner who believes wholeheartedly that craft beer should be accessible, inclusive and of exceptionally high and consistent quality"....“I would completely understand if you wanted to wash your hands of us, but I very much hope that you don’t."

https://853london.com/2019/07/12/hop-stuff-brewery-sells-out-to-carling-owner-and-leaves-local-investors-with-nothing/
    They went bust, an administration package and not a buy out.
    James Yeoman has screwed over the investors. Baring in mind they've never made good beer, I was surprised they managed to raise the full amount.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Thankfully the corps only seem interested in those independents that sell overpriced, over-hopped 'craft' offerings in brightly coloured cans that can be churned out cheaply, transported easily and sold on with whopping margins. The ones to worry about are those breweries producing real ales where the quality would really suffer if the big boys got their hands on them. Hopefully, it's a market that remains tricky for them to do well in.
    I can assure you making quality beer isn't cheap. The price of new world hops is eye watering.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Stig said:
    I can assure you making quality beer isn't cheap. The price of new world hops is eye watering.
    Not to Molson's.
  • Options
    @SomervilleAddick had some fantastic beers from New York breweries, Equilibrium, Hudson Valley, Finback and Other Half, great beers 
    Apart from Finback, you don’t see these very much in Boston. I’m going down to NY next week and was going to visit the cluster of breweries in Long Island City, which is northern Queens. Now I’m thinking head south to Other Half. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stig said:
    PopIcon said:
    Stig said:
    Not to Molson's.
    It is to Molsons accountants. No matter what they say when they buy a brewery, eventually the accountants will identify cost savings to increase the margin. Expensive hops will be on that list. In fact, any expensive ingredient that gives a particular beer it’s character will be on their list. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    PopIcon said:
    Stig said:
    Not to Molson's.
    It is to Molsons accountants. No matter what they say when they buy a brewery, eventually the accountants will identify cost savings to increase the margin. Expensive hops will be on that list. In fact, any expensive ingredient that gives a particular beer it’s character will be on their list. 
    Unarguable.
  • Options
    There are certainly some breweries making easy money from average craft beer. But there are a lot of craft breweries now using costly ingredients to make great beers, with a range not made in the UK previously. 
    Both craft and real ale are threatened by the big companies.
    As someone who drinks real ale and craft beer, there are certainly some very good real ales but the great beers at the moment are from the craft market. Willingness to spend on ingredients, collaborate and innovate has seen the craft market set the bench mark for beer. All of which are potentially threatened by being taken over by the big companies.
    But then for every new craft or real ale producer who sells out, a new one will open.

It's an incredibly vibrant sector at the moment, impossible to keep up with! 
  • Options
    Is there any real difference in the craft beers that come in cans as opposed to bottles?

for some reason I am put off from buying cans. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Is there any real difference in the craft beers that come in cans as opposed to bottles?

for some reason I am put off from buying cans. 
    Cans have the advantage of being light and air tight, unlike bottles, so the beer keeps for longer. 

I suspect there is a large advertising element as well, as the "wacky" can designs presumably appeal to a particular market. Had a few can and bottles in my beer advent calendar :) no affect on the taste, just remember to pour into a glass
  • Options
    On the crouch vale Brewers Gold and a stout from Tring, both excellent pints. Followed up with some pints of red stripe in a plastic cup at a nightclub... First time I've been to one for about a decade. Great night. One mate was sick in the smoking area, another thought he'd pulled a stunner but had to leg it because it turned out she was a prostitute, and nobody knows what happened to our other mate. Bearing in mind his track record, it will be a tale to pull up an armchair and pour a brandy to. Proper spontaneous piss up, the like of which I haven't had since I was a student!
  • Options
    Ealing Beer Fest, Thursday had Orpheus (US) cloudy sour beer in a 330cl can. Staggeringly good.
  • Options
    I do like a sour beer. Currently trying Vocation - Twisted Sour. 

Pretty good stuff i reckon.