Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options

I resisted the urge to ask him about the Australians!

My Baltika went down well after meeting the great man.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Was at the British Guild of Beer Writers Awards Dinner last night. Our book, Today South London, Tomorrow South London was nominated in the Beer & Travel Writing category - didn't win, but still an honour to be involved. 

Anyway, Brewer of the Year was...

Burnt Mill.
    Their 'Fog' series of beers are top draw..
  • Options
    Not been keeping up with the advent updates...

2nd beer was Donzoko Brewing's Northern Helles lager...was 'ok' but gawd knows I've moved on from lager now..

3rd beer was Polly's Brew Co Citra Simcoe DDH Pale Ale, whihc I bloomin loved...

Today's is Pilot Brewing's Basil Grande Sour, which I'll be saving for when guests come round ;-)
  • Options
    Not been keeping up with the advent updates...

2nd beer was Donzoko Brewing's Northern Helles lager...was 'ok' but gawd knows I've moved on from lager now..

3rd beer was Polly's Brew Co Citra Simcoe DDH Pale Ale, whihc I bloomin loved...

Today's is Pilot Brewing's Basil Grande Sour, which I'll be saving for when guests come round ;-)

Glad you found one you like, I've drank a lot and none have blown me away. Also been to their brewery, its little more than one man and his dog....
  • Options

Burnt Mill make some great beers. Big fan of Polly’s.

Also enjoyed beers lately from Kees, Navigation, Lost Industry, Gamma (Denmark), Basqueland (Spain), Fraugruber (Germany), Mondo (London), ToOl, Cigar City, St Mars, Track, Gueuzerie Tiliquin, Evil Twin (NY), Wild Childe, Abbeydale, Pohjala

Beer of week Double Stuffed Bourbon BA - Amundsen- Imperial Stout
  • Options
    Today’s offering was  
    First Chop Sup Gluten Free Session IPA 3.9%

bit cloudy and underwhelmed. 
    Maybe I need the gluten !!

rating 4 Lungs 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Today’s offering was  

rating 4 Lungs 
    Not sure gluten makes the difference here. Tried a couple of their beers, average stuff
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Today’s offering was  

rating 4 Lungs 
    Not sure gluten makes the difference here. Tried a couple of their beers, average stuff
    I could serve you up pucker beer, you wouldn't even know it was Gluten free.
    I'd stay away from rice and quinoa beer, you simply dont get the sugars.

I spoke to the brewer at Siren and believe it or not Soundwave is actually gluten free, its just not been passed for celiacs.
  • Options
    On another note. Best beer I've had this year, of course there are still three weeks to go....but.

The winner goes to Bamburana, a barrel aged collab between Oskar Blues and Cigar City. An imperial Stout coming in at 12%+ aged in brandy and whiskey barrels.

I've brought up every can I've seen as the prices have been super competitive.

YUMMY......
  • Options

Burnt Mill make some great beers. Big fan of Polly’s.

Also enjoyed beers lately from Kees, Navigation, Lost Industry, Gamma (Denmark), Basqueland (Spain), Fraugruber (Germany), Mondo (London), ToOl, Cigar City, St Mars, Track, Gueuzerie Tiliquin, Evil Twin (NY), Wild Childe, Abbeydale, Pohjala

Beer of week Double Stuffed Bourbon BA - Amundsen- Imperial Stout
    Bloody hell, you get around. Mondo, Abbeydale and Evil Twin are the only ones of those I'd heard of. Nice life you're having!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks @Vincenzo, tend to drink in pubs that a) rotate their beers and b) select their beers with care and taste 
  • Options
    You're clearly a wise man, Sheffield.
  • Options
    yesterdays offering was Wild Beer Co millionaire salted Caramel and chocolate stout - 4.7%

Found it quite nice but not sure if could drink more than two of them in a sitting.
    maybe I'm not cut out for stouts.
  • Options
    Most by No Frills Joe, based in Greenhithe, are decent. Only a few places have it and always goes quickly. They do open their small taproom once a month usually.
  • Options
    Good to know. Hadn't heard of them before.

Been enjoying the fine work of Iron Pier in Gravesend.
  • Options
    if you are ever in Broadstairs do the Micro pub circuit.  Yard of Ale / Four Candles / The Pub /  Mind the Gap / 39 Steps /  The Magnet / The Chapel - all within a mile ...
  • Options
    Still running behind

day 5 was

Crate sticky toffee stout 5%

lot nicer than the previous stout I had. 
    Gets a rating of 7Lungs. 
  • Options
    Wow. Today’s offering is lovely. 
    However I am sure you can see the possible downfall

Uiltje Brewing Co’s : Dr. Raptor imperial IPA. 330ml   9.2%. !!!!

Rating: 9 Lungs but couldn’t have more than one ! 

• Options
    if you are ever in Broadstairs do the Micro pub circuit.  Yard of Ale / Four Candles / The Pub /  Mind the Gap / 39 Steps /  The Magnet / The Chapel - all within a mile ...
    Stinks of dogs these days, shame as used to be a decent little boozer.

I love Broadstairs...
  • Options
    yard of ale is a converted (slightly) stable - all the micro's in Bstairs are dog friendly as are most of the pubs.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've let this slip as I started a new contract and couldn't remember my CL login...and also thought I should probably do some work in the first few weeks too...  Anyway, in no particular order (cos I can't remember), my Hop Burns and Black advent calendar has given me these over the last week or so...not opened any of them (again, new contract etc etc):

Gypsy Hill x Warpigs 'Overkill' IPA
    Fierce x North Brewing Co 'El Dorado' sour IPA (which I don't think I will be drinking...)
    Cloudwater 'What's said and done' DDH IPA
    Brick Brewery 'Kiwi and Lime Sour' (hmmm....not sure on that..)
    Villages 'Oboe' porter
    Siren 'Big Red Machine' red IPA
    Left Handed Giant 'Deeper Water' milk stout

Cheers
  • Options
    I should also add that I purchased one each of the Siren Caribbean Chocolate Cake series, plus a case of Verdant 'Allen', just to get me through...
  • Options
    I should also add that I purchased one each of the Siren Caribbean Chocolate Cake series, plus a case of Verdant 'Allen', just to get me through...
    Tried all four of them at a beer festival in Plymouth recently. My favourite was the Death by Chocolate, but all were very good. The white chocolate one really surprised me.
  • Options
    yard of ale is a converted (slightly) stable - all the micro's in Bstairs are dog friendly as are most of the pubs.

No problem with dog friendly pubs and have been to all of them in Broadstairs.

Yard of ale stinks of wet dog and shit though...

Shame as used to be great.
  • Options

STIG'S YEAR IN BEER 2019

Stig's record for the year

86 unique beers from 73 different breweries (source Untappd)

Best Beer

Leigh Brewery, SS9  9%

Peerless Brewery, Oatmeal Stout 5%

Best Bottled Beer

Old Ford, Export Stout 6.5%

Best Food

The Angel, North Shoebury.  All of their food is divine.  

Best Service

No change here, Hush in Southend, as ever.

Best Stocked Bar

Marina Hotel, Lagos. Amazing array of gins, whiskies and other spirits. 

Friendliest Locals  

St Machars Bar, Aberdeen. Sat in there to watch the Cricket World Cup final and got bought whiskies by the locals. Amazing, generous people.  

Worst Pub

Saddlers Arms, Cardigan. Beer tasted of pipe cleaner. Not enough places to sit. The dart board was missing and the table skittles broken. Struggled to get out as the furniture was re-arranged so that the floor could be mopped. Other than that it was lovely.

Worst Beer

Belhaven Best at The Abercrombie, Aberdeen. I've had it elsewhere and it was alright so I think it was just in that place.

Worst Pub Food

Vegetarian Pizza from The Twelve Tellers, Preston. The resulting 'Preston Pizza Poisoning', as it will forever be known in our house, made me miss work the next morning and resulted in a very uncomfortable train ride back to Essex.

Most disappointing beer trip

Sagres, Portugal. Because the brewery simply didn’t exist outside of my imagination. I found out that Sagres beer a con big trick so that Heineken can charge premium prices for distinctly unpremium beer brewed 150 miles away from where the label suggests. That'll teach me to get seduced by lagers.

• Options
    Stig said:

STIG'S YEAR IN BEER 2019

Best Beer

Leigh Brewery, SS9  9%

Best Bottled Beer

Best Food

Best Service

Best Stocked Bar

Friendliest Locals  

St Machars Bar, Aberdeen. Sat in there to watch the Cricket World Cup final and got bought whiskies by the locals. Amazing, generous people.  

Worst Pub

Saddlers Arms, Cardigan. Beer tasted of pipe cleaner. Not enough places to sit. The dart board was missing and the table skittles broken. Struggled to get out as the furniture was re-arranged so that the floor could be mopped. Other than that it was lovely.

Worst Beer

Belhaven Best at The Abercrombie, Aberdeen. I've had it elsewhere and it was alright so I think it was just in that place.

Worst Pub Food

Vegetarian Pizza from The Twelve Tellers, Preston. The resulting 'Preston Pizza Poisoning', as it will forever be known in our house, made me miss work the next morning and resulted in a very uncomfortable train ride back to Essex.

Sagres, Portugal. Because the brewery simply didn’t exist outside of my imagination. I found out that Sagres beer a con big trick so that Heineken can charge premium prices for distinctly unpremium beer brewed 150 miles away from where the label suggests. That'll teach me to get seduced by lagers.

What is your best boozer on the away circuit?
  • Options
    Probably Spoons in Shrewsbury. Though for atmosphere The Green Man, Wembley took some beating.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    Probably Spoons in Shrewsbury. Though for atmosphere The Green Man, Wembley took some beating.
    Shrewsbury is a cracker for a drink.
  • Options
    Stig said:

STIG'S YEAR IN BEER 2019

Best Beer

Leigh Brewery, SS9  9%

Best Bottled Beer

Best Food

Best Service

Best Stocked Bar

Friendliest Locals  

Worst Pub

Worst Beer

Worst Pub Food

I wonder what was on a vegetarian pizza that made you so sick. Thats worrying
  • Options

Brasilian lager is not great, but this has a bit of a kick to it.