Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2020
    Picked up a 4 pinter of ‘Blackheath stout’ of fixed wheel brewery from The River today. Very nice beer. 
  • Options
    I’m getting beer mail ordered from BrewDog - very nice but I’d rather be supporting a local - ish brewery. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    I’m getting beer mail ordered from BrewDog - very nice but I’d rather be supporting a local - ish brewery. Any suggestions?
    Tactical Nuclear Penguin - you’ll only need one bottle. 
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    A session ale at 32% abv
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    IAgree said:
    A session ale at 32% abv
    I've still got a bottle from their initial run. Has anyone tried it before?
  • Options

Picked this up from Lidl.

I first came across this medicine in the Scottish Stores by Kings Cross station.  This boozer used to be The Flying Scotsman years ago, it's changed a lot!!!!!
  • Options

Picked this up from Lidl.

I first came across this medicine in the Scottish Stores by Kings Cross station.  This boozer used to be The Flying Scotsman years ago, it's changed a lot!!!!!
    Innis & Gunn make great beer, I like their IPA too. 
  • Options
    Yesterday's choice was an excellent, old fashioned style brown ale.

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    IAgree said:
    IAgree said:
    A session ale at 32% abv
    I’ve had it a couple of times.  Better than Sink the Bismarck, which was just unpleasant. Definitely one for the shot glass. 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    IAgree said:
    IAgree said:
    A session ale at 32% abv
    I’ve had it a couple of times.  Better than Sink the Bismarck, which was just unpleasant. Definitely one for the shot glass. 
    I've not had Sink the Bismark either, I missed out on their last brew.
    Does it actually taste like beer? I've had their quad IPA, hop shot a few times. It was very thick and bitter.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gone (very) sour in preparation for an evening of Eurovision. 

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    IAgree said:
    IAgree said:
    A session ale at 32% abv
    I've not had Sink the Bismark either, I missed out on their last brew.
    Does it actually taste like beer? I've had their quad IPA, hop shot a few times. It was very thick and bitter.
    Does it taste like beer? Not in my opinion. It’s the sort of thing you try once. I had them both in Amsterdam and TNP was definitely less offensive. I gave it a second try at their place on Hackney Road a few years back, and I’m pretty sure I didn’t finish it.
  • Options
    Gone (very) sour in preparation for an evening of Eurovision. 

Nice glass, another in my collection.   5 bottles of Delirium would hit the spot as well!
  • Options
    Mr T got this on click and collect. Quite pleasant.
  • Options
    River Styx London Porter  from Spartan Brewery, Almond Rd, SE16

3.7% ABV. Full of flavour. Excellent. 

I found their beer to be devoid of anything handsome.
  • Options
    I'm a Brewdog fan admittedly and whilst their prices are at the higher end of the craft beer market the quality is always decent.

I've bought a ton of quench quake which is a citrus sour and whilst the first mouthful made me wince I have gotten used to it and on the advice of @Medders I'm treating it like I would a nice cold cider to start the sunshine session with. 

My favourites remain Elvis juice and the punk IPA but I've had some really interesting ones. The rhubarb crumble sour was interesting that someone else posted was definitely in the interesting category

Hazy Jane is wonderful as well but a couple of cans of that is plenty. 

Same with Elvis juice to be honest, it is glorious but 4 cans has me rocking 
  • Options
    Elvis Juice is lovely.
  • Options
    Elvis Juice is lovely.
    Priscilla thought so as well.
  • Options
    Last year I attended a Spartan Brewery 'Tap Takeover' / 'Meet the Brewer' event at the Orpington Liberal Club. Four Spartan beers were on: The River Styx Porter, a Mild, a Pale Ale and a Best Bitter. All four beers were superb and the large CAMRA contingent present were in agreement. I scored the beers a perfect 10/10.
    I'm a member of CAMRA and for the time being will remain so. They have partially sold out and to be honest beyond their beer festivals I'm not sure they are relevant these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very nice beer. Reminds me of Boon. 

Lamplighter Brewery in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It the first of a 6 beer subscription for their barreled beers. 

• Options
    Marstons and Carlsberg UK to merge

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52770262

• Options
    Took a trip to the Chilterns to have a walk this afternoon -  my first excursion from London in 2 months!

And to pick some beer from the Chiltern Brewery, a selection of their draught ales in 2 pint bottles. Admittedly it's a bank holiday weekend, but their click and collect service seems very successful, there was a queue of cars waiting to collect beer!
  • Options
    Very nice beer. Reminds me of Boon. 

Lamplighter Brewery in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It the first of a 6 beer subscription for their barreled beers. 

Beer sounds fine.

Bottle is a mess.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Last year I attended a Spartan Brewery 'Tap Takeover' / 'Meet the Brewer' event at the Orpington Liberal Club. Four Spartan beers were on: The River Styx Porter, a Mild, a Pale Ale and a Best Bitter. All four beers were superb and the large CAMRA contingent present were in agreement. I scored the beers a perfect 10/10.
    I'm a member of CAMRA and for the time being will remain so. They have partially sold out and to be honest beyond their beer festivals I'm not sure they are relevant these days.
    I largely agree with that. I'm also a CAMRA member but they do need to up their game and tune in to some of very interesting new beers, outlets and breweries that have popped up over the last few years. In fairness, CAMRA have recently launched an app in response to the lockdown - Brew2You - but it's a long way behind the Beer Guide London app, which, in my view, is far more up to date and reliable. The latter also has a useful list of breweries and outlets which deliver draught ale - https://www.beerguideldn.com/news.php 

Voting for the local CAMRA area pub of the year is also a right palaver, with a requirement to visit and mark each of the finalists on a number of different criteria. A cynic might think that the process was designed to ensure that, ultimately, the committee decided the outcome, rather than the broader membership - perish the thought....
  • Options
    I went to the Iron Piers mini Brewery (behind Northfleet h.st) & sampled a few, but went for their Bitter & Stout (2 pinters) came in at £14 which I didn't think was great, but both were were really nice beers.

Just had delivered from Dartford Wobbler, 3 (4 pinters) Blonde Wobblers came in at £24 £2 a pint with delivery). They deliver to a 6 mile radius from Darenth.

Gonna try the Bexley Brewery next.

• Options
    Had a pleasant bottle of Oakham Citra IPA (4.6%) last night which hit the spot when thirsty on a hot day. 

The downside was I only had one bottle as it was part of a mix and match selection.

Is Oakham connected to the Rutland Brewery (Ruddles back in the day) does anybody know?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Had a pleasant bottle of Oakham Citra IPA (4.6%) last night which hit the spot when thirsty on a hot day. 

The downside was I only had one bottle as it was part of a mix and match selection.

Is Oakham connected to the Rutland Brewery (Ruddles back in the day) does anybody know?
    Pretty sure Oakham is unconnected

They are based in Peterborough, so many of us will have experienced their beers and pubs there, either in their brewery tap or Charters Bar, a boat near the football ground!

https://www.charters-bar.com/